Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   NHL Down The stretch (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=347277)

SL__72 03-21-2007 07:00 PM

Re: NHL Down The stretch

The Wild have won 7 straight games but have failed to gain the point they need to tie (and I believe they have the tiebreaker) Vancouver who, like the Wild, are 8-1-1 in their last 10.

The Wild's schedule the rest of the way:

vs Stl
vs LA
vs Cgy
vs Cgy
at Col
vs Edm
vs Edm
vs Stl

The Wild are 24-6-4 so far this year at home.

Chances they can pull off a division championship?

Triumph36 03-22-2007 10:13 AM

East just keeps getting more interesting every night.

The Islanders have slid from 7th to 11th - but they have games in hand on teams 8-10, who are all tied at 80 points. Somehow the Rangers are now convincingly in 7th.

Anyone see Fedoruk go down? Brutal punch.

wh1t3bread 03-22-2007 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Somehow the Rangers are now convincingly in 7th.

[/ QUOTE ]

One word: Lundqvist.

In 25 of his last 36 games he has held opponents to 2 goals against or less. Last 3 games he has given up a combined 1 goal.

Triumph36 03-22-2007 10:35 AM

That sounds right to me - and also why the Rangers struggled so much at the beginning of the year. Lundqvist is a top 10 goalie in the league for sure, if not now, then in the next 2 years.

wh1t3bread 03-22-2007 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lundqvist is a top 10 goalie in the league for sure, if not now, then in the next 2 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm ready to put him there (but I'm a Rangers fan so my opinion doesn't really count). 8th in GAA, 11th in Save %. 5 shutouts. Rangers are 10th in the league on the kill. And this is for a team obviously not known for their defense.

I think only 3 goalies have logged more minutes then Lundqvist this year too. There are probably only 2, maybe 3 goalies better than him in the Shootout this year as well.

New001 03-22-2007 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
East just keeps getting more interesting every night.

The Islanders have slid from 7th to 11th - but they have games in hand on teams 8-10, who are all tied at 80 points. Somehow the Rangers are now convincingly in 7th.

Anyone see Fedoruk go down? Brutal punch.

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] What are the chances that NYI make the playoffs now?

wh1t3bread 03-22-2007 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What are the chances that NYI make the playoffs now?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not terrible. They are only 1 point out of 8th with an extra game or 2 on everyone else. Also, with 10 games left, 6 are at home and the Isles have been good there this year. But their remaining schedule is pretty tough: still have 2 games against the Devils, 1 against the Sabres, 1 against the Senators, 1 against the Penguins, 2 against the Rangers (both on LI though) and 1 against the Leafs. The only 2 gimmies they have are against the Flyers.

Wes Mantooth 03-22-2007 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
.... The only 2 gimmies they have are against the Flyers.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, "gimmies" haha.... thats messed up.... but also true.

New001 03-22-2007 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What are the chances that NYI make the playoffs now?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not terrible. They are only 1 point out of 8th with an extra game or 2 on everyone else. Also, with 10 games left, 6 are at home and the Isles have been good there this year. But their remaining schedule is pretty tough: still have 2 games against the Devils, 1 against the Sabres, 1 against the Senators, 1 against the Penguins, 2 against the Rangers (both on LI though) and 1 against the Leafs. The only 2 gimmies they have are against the Flyers.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks! I appreciate this.

Triumph36 03-22-2007 01:29 PM

There are no gimmies in the NHL, especially with that ragtag bunch that Ted Nolan has to throw out on the ice every night.

Dipietro's injury hurt, but also the fact that they can't play defense worth a damn doesn't help. Almost no one's backup goalie is any good - Dunham is pretty terrible - but this Islanders team just isn't very good. It's going to be really interesting over the last 10 games.