Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Business, Finance, and Investing (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   I DESERVE RESPECT (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=518814)

Shoe 10-18-2007 10:18 PM

Re: I DESERVE RESPECT

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Shoe,

Just out of curiosity, what do you do for a living?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do computer programming.

Regards,
Shoe

[/ QUOTE ]
Then shouldn't you have enough moneys to pay for your margin instead of selling your shares?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I understand. I just got margin, I haven't used any yet. As far as the possiblity of having to sell shares to cover my credit card loans, I took out close to a year's salary in loans to invest in the market. I definitely am not going to be able to pay them all back by the time they start charging interest without transferring them, so yes, if I can't find another good transfer deal I will need to sell shares to cover my credit card balances.

[/ QUOTE ]

how much is your salary. If you took out a year worth of salary, then why do you care about the 10k that you would've gotten from prosper?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because that is 10k more than I would otherwise have right now. 10k is still a lot of money to me (as well as 99% of the rest of america).

Also, that 10k would be completely mine, it would not be debt that i owe but actual profit. Am i making sense here?

[/ QUOTE ]
you didnt answer my question..

[/ QUOTE ]

You asked, "then why do you care about the 10k that you would've gotten from prosper? "

Did i not answer that?

pureCra2z 10-18-2007 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Shoe,

[/ QUOTE ]

Regards,
Shoe

[/ QUOTE ]
Then shouldn't you have enough moneys to pay for your margin instead of selling your shares?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I understand. I just got margin, I haven't used any yet. As far as the possiblity of having to sell shares to cover my credit card loans, I took out close to a year's salary in loans to invest in the market. I definitely am not going to be able to pay them all back by the time they start charging interest without transferring them, so yes, if I can't find another good transfer deal I will need to sell shares to cover my credit card balances.

[/ QUOTE ]
how much is your salary. If you took out a year worth of salary, then why do you care about the 10k that you would've gotten from prosper?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because that is 10k more than I would otherwise have right now. 10k is still a lot of money to me (as well as 99% of the rest of america).

Also, that 10k would be completely mine, it would not be debt that i owe but actual profit. Am i making sense here?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You asked, "then why do you care about the 10k that you would've gotten from prosper? "

Did i not answer that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Shoe 10-18-2007 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Shoe,

[/ QUOTE ]

Regards,
Shoe

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did i not answer that?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can get a general idea at: salary.com

Other than that, without a good reason on how that would contribute to this thread, I would prefer not to reveal that information at this time.

ArturiusX 10-18-2007 11:47 PM

I think you're way to anxious to get started in the game instead of spending more time learning it, biding your time, and making a more meaningful attempt.

Your like the kid who wins a few homegames of poker, and decides to deposit his paycheck the next week. He could very well be a good player, know his [censored], but too many variables could play against him for such a risk. Or, he could invest his winnings in poker books, study for a while, and develop a real bankroll to make an attempt. You sound like the former.

Shoe 10-18-2007 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you're way to anxious to get started in the game instead of spending more time learning it, biding your time, and making a more meaningful attempt.

Your like the kid who wins a few homegames of poker, and decides to deposit his paycheck the next week. He could very well be a good player, know his [censored], but too many variables could play against him for such a risk. Or, he could invest his winnings in poker books, study for a while, and develop a real bankroll to make an attempt. You sound like the former.

[/ QUOTE ]

I appreciate the advice but respectfully disagree. The thing is, i have been studying the market for 10+ years, I just have not had money to invest until now (and even now, I have had to borrow to get any significant amount invested). My feeling is, if i don't do this now, I am never going to, and as each year passes I lose that much more earning potential.

I have been picking good stocks my entire life. I don't expect anyone here to believe that, other than for the posts I make here, and I expect to be held accountable for my posts.

I agree, I should read as many books and learn as much as possible. I have been doing that for a long time. I really need experience now and that is what I am getting. I will definitely keep studying, but I can only watch so many opportunities after opportunities pass me by before I start to capitalize on them.

Thanks for the reply.

kimchi 10-19-2007 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

People who've been in the trading business for years (I haven't) see folk like Shoe come and go.

They make a few good trades in a stongly rising market and think they are Jesus' son.

I was thinking about dozens of Jesse Livermore quotes that apply to shoe, here are a couple:

[ QUOTE ]
People who look for easy money invariable pay for the privilege of proving conclusively that it cannot be found on this earth

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
There are old traders and there are bold traders, but there are no old bold traders

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish shoe luck, but he's just becoming a textbook example from the market/personal psychology chapter.

Shoe 10-19-2007 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

People who've been in the trading business for years (I haven't) see folk like Shoe come and go.

They make a few good trades in a stongly rising market and think they are Jesus' son.

I was thinking about dozens of Jesse Livermore quotes that apply to shoe, here are a couple:

[ QUOTE ]
People who look for easy money invariable pay for the privilege of proving conclusively that it cannot be found on this earth

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
There are old traders and there are bold traders, but there are no old bold traders

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish shoe luck, but he's just becoming a textbook example from the market/personal psychology chapter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, so you think it is crazy I am taking out 0% loans to buy stocks. Do you not think it is wise to take out as much free money as possible? If I put this money in an ING savings account earning 4.5% interest suddenly I am brilliant, correct? however, stocks have been proven to generate much better returns over time than any savings account ever could. So, since I am going with the best long-term solution, suddenly I am an idiot because it is a little more risky?

I just don't understand the logic of the masses.

Also, thanks for the well wishes. this is post is not directed completely at you, but more just general thoughts running through my head. I may very will disappear over the next few years. I hope to prove that will not be the case.

maxtower 10-19-2007 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As far as the possiblity of having to sell shares to cover my credit card loans, I took out close to a year's salary in loans to invest in the market.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems like a bad idea to me. I know you aren't going to take my advice because you feel like a genius right now, but I would feel irresponsible if I didn't tell you to sell immediately and pay off these loans while you are way ahead.

[ QUOTE ]
The thing is, i have been studying the market for 10+ years,...

[/ QUOTE ]
Shoe,
How did your picks from 1999 do?

jaydub 10-19-2007 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Shoe,

[/ QUOTE ]

Regards,
Shoe

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did i not answer that?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can get a general idea at: salary.com

Other than that, without a good reason on how that would contribute to this thread, I would prefer not to reveal that information at this time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know few "computer programmers" who would refer to themselves as such; the relevant title at the entry level is Software Developer or Software Engineer. I think you are, as usual, full of [censored] birthday boy.

J

Shoe 10-19-2007 12:41 AM

Thanks for the advice, but like you suggested, I do not plan to sell anything at this time. However, I do feel fortunate that my stocks have performed as well as they have, and quite frankly, I can't even see them dropping enough to even get me back down to even on this deal. however, if that does happen, I do plan to sell if they drop back down to their purhase price, as I was definitely taking on a lot of risk here and am not willing to lose money on this deal after how well it has started off. Thanks again.