Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   ask me about fantasy baseball v.2007 (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=327473)

crockpot 02-16-2007 05:37 PM

Re: ask me about fantasy baseball v.2007

[ QUOTE ]
5th round is too early for a closer. You're better off taking your ace pitcher (if you havent drafted a pitcher yet) or a quality bat.

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong. this league setup tips the balance in favor of relief pitchers, since they help your K/BB and don't accumulate losses. also, if it's a yahoo league, relievers are usually worth more than projected because the limiting pitching statistic is innings rather than starts or roster spots.

i might take bj ryan over nathan, but either is fine at pick 60.

crockpot 02-16-2007 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a 10 team, keep 12 league. We are considering expansion to a 12th team this year, and may only keep 10 to make sure there is a player pool for the new teams, so who should I keep in both situations? It is a H2H league that scores on the following: R, HR, RBI, SB, K, FPCT, AVG, OPS, W, L, SV, HR, K, ERA, WHIP, K/BB. EDIT: Also, we do play a utility player as well as the standard field positions.

[/ QUOTE ]

keep:

[ QUOTE ]
Eric Chavez
Magglio Ordonez
David Ortiz
Mark Teahen
Miguel Tejada
B.J. Upton
Dave Bush
Brett Myers
Billy Wagner
Barry Zito

Josh Barfield
Freddy Garcia

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not going to sugarcoat it: your team is in trouble. good luck.

by the way, mark teahen has some hidden value in this league since he is eligible at third base but will probably play right field, where his fielding percentage will be much better. the same may be true for upton if they give him regular outfield/dh time.

midwestkc 02-16-2007 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is a 10 team, keep 12 league. We are considering expansion to a 12th team this year, and may only keep 10 to make sure there is a player pool for the new teams, so who should I keep in both situations? It is a H2H league that scores on the following: R, HR, RBI, SB, K, FPCT, AVG, OPS, W, L, SV, HR, K, ERA, WHIP, K/BB. EDIT: Also, we do play a utility player as well as the standard field positions.

[/ QUOTE ]

keep:

[ QUOTE ]
Eric Chavez
Magglio Ordonez
David Ortiz
Mark Teahen
Miguel Tejada
B.J. Upton
Dave Bush
Brett Myers
Billy Wagner
Barry Zito

Josh Barfield
Freddy Garcia

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not going to sugarcoat it: your team is in trouble. good luck.

by the way, mark teahen has some hidden value in this league since he is eligible at third base but will probably play right field, where his fielding percentage will be much better. the same may be true for upton if they give him regular outfield/dh time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I know they are. I had a horrible draft last year, and never really recovered. Hence, I finished 8th out of 10. I've made it a goal to make it into the top half this year and fight for a playoff spot (4 make it). I will need to get very lucky for this.

4 High 02-17-2007 05:07 PM

How big of a value do you guys think Troy Glaus is in Yahoo leagues this year w/SS & 3B Eligibility? I grabbed him with the 72nd pick, and i think at SS he could be a real steal.

bugstud 02-17-2007 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How big of a value do you guys think Troy Glaus is in Yahoo leagues this year w/SS & 3B Eligibility? I grabbed him with the 72nd pick, and i think at SS he could be a real steal.

[/ QUOTE ]

ss is deep enough to where it's less of a factor than you'd hope.

suppasonic 02-17-2007 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
5th round is too early for a closer. You're better off taking your ace pitcher (if you havent drafted a pitcher yet) or a quality bat.

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong. this league setup tips the balance in favor of relief pitchers, since they help your K/BB and don't accumulate losses. also, if it's a yahoo league, relievers are usually worth more than projected because the limiting pitching statistic is innings rather than starts or roster spots.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're incorrect on this one, actually. Losses have nothing to do with it. Getting Nathan or getting Francisco Cordero X rounds later will not affect his losses (maybe by like 3). Just as long has he has the same SP to RP ratio.

And a high K/BB SP will have twice to three times the impact of a high K/BB RP due to innings pitched. Thus, SP would be a better pick. While IP is something to consider, that can be dealt with in-season management, like not starting your worst SP against the Yankees in NY.

bugstud 02-17-2007 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're incorrect on this one, actually. Losses have nothing to do with it. Getting Nathan or getting Francisco Cordero X rounds later will not affect his losses (maybe by like 3). Just as long has he has the same SP to RP ratio.

And a high K/BB SP will have twice to three times the impact of a high K/BB RP due to innings pitched. Thus, SP would be a better pick. While IP is something to consider, that can be dealt with in-season management, like not starting your worst SP against the Yankees in NY.

[/ QUOTE ]

this league setup favors not using starters at all.

suppasonic 02-17-2007 07:58 PM

Then you are punting K's and W's. Bad idea.

4 High 02-17-2007 07:59 PM

One more question for now, what about Howie Kendrick? Anyone else think hes a top 70 or 80 player? PECOTA likes him alot, and even The Big Board likes him. Thats two different schools that seem to think hes pretty high up there.

bugstud 02-17-2007 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Then you are punting K's and W's. Bad idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

winning all the hitting cats and 3 pitching cats = shipping the whole thing.