Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Ivey vs. Corey Pavin golf bet (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=297939)

fouraces1234 01-04-2007 04:52 PM

Re: Ivey vs. Corey Pavin golf bet

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm glad someone finally mentioned this. Phil will basically be playing three rounds of golf. Once, I played three rounds and by the end I could barely swing the club. I was exhausted.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he won't be playing basically three rounds, because he's not walking the whole course three times. In fact, I doubt he'd even be walking the course once, as they're probably required to use golf carts. The most I've ever played in one day while walking the course and carrying my own bag is 54 holes, and I was absolutely dog-dead at the end of the day. I don't think I would have been anywhere near that tired if I had been riding a cart.

All of that aside, I seriously doubt Phil's a true 15 handicap, and I'd bet on Pavin. Put a true 15 handicap on the front tees against a pro on the back tees, and give the 15 handicap 3 balls, and I'd bet on the 15 handicap. I've played the Las Colinas TPC in Irving several times in a scramble format, and the groups I've been in have consistently been able to get in the low 60's, with a best score of 57, and that's in a format where you're required to use the shot (not including putt) of your D player at least once per round.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you are talking about GROUPS shooting in the low 60's not 1 player playing all the shots shooting in the low 60's. Phil loses AND ITS NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!!!!!!

durkahdurkah 01-04-2007 04:54 PM

I can't imagine Pavin ever losing this to Ivey, and yes I've played many many scrambles in my day.

stinkypete 01-04-2007 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AND ITS NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

could you quantify this and propose a bet please?

rokstedy 01-04-2007 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Discussed on the 2nd episode of Poker After Dark by Hellmuth, Sheiky, and Huck.

The bet: $10k per hole.

The rules: Ivey plays at TPC Summerlin (Vegas course that he frequents) from the reds...forward-most tees...or ladies' if you're non-pc [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Corey plays from the tips, or black tees. I thought I caught that Corey would play a different course, but not sure about that.

Anyhoo, Ivey scrambles with himself, meaning he gets to hit each shot 2-3 times (not sure how many) and take the best ball. Pavin plays straight up.

From the discussion, Hellmuth implied that Ivey was worse than a 15-handicap.

For what it's worth, Sheiky and Hellmuth said they'd bet Pavin. Huck said they were out of their minds.

Who's your $$ on assuming Ivey is a 15-handicap? How about 10 or 20 handicap?

P.S. Most of us have seen footage of Ivey playing golf. He's improved big time from 3 years ago at the American Poker Championship, but still ain't pretty.

P.S. Negreanu says he's the best putter he's ever seen (from his forum).

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen Ivey's swing and if he's a 15 handicap, I'm Arnold freaking Palmer. I'd guess he's closer to 36 from the men's tee's.

The red tee's, while certainly easier, don't make the game that much easier for a 36 handicapper. Length isn't the issue in this case. Short game rules all, especially putting. Maybe this reduces Ivey's reg. handicap to 32.

All that being said, Pavin will crush Ivey given this setup.

rokstedy 01-04-2007 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How is Sexton at golf?

Obviously Tiger is much better from the Tips than Pavin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty good from what I've heard. Don't know his handicap, but I'd guess it could easily be single digits.

rokstedy 01-04-2007 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A 15-20 handicap playing 2 balls from the red tees (5,395 at TPC@summerlin) should be able to shoot -5 or so I would imagine. I mean that's like 100 yd par 3s, 300 yd par 4s, and 450 yd par 5s. Although of course it's going to come down to whoever plays better.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO, do any of you guys play golf? More specifically, are you as good as a 15? If it's only 2 balls, there's no way Ivey can beat him straight up, even from the reds. 3 is a little more questionable, but I think you guys are severely overestimating a 15-20 handicapper's ability to hit it close enough for a consistently makeable birdie putt. Even with 3 shots a lot of 15 handicappers are going to be 20 ft from the pin on most holes, at least.

I think people are also underestimating how easy it would be for Pavin on a course like that in non-PGA conditions.

Sweet bet though, I'd love to see it take place.

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur, and as I said before, I'd find it hard to believe Ivey sniffs a 15. Unless he's gotten ridiculously better since I last saw him play.

People don't realize how much better a PGA tour pro is over even a regular scratch golfer. Not to mention a seasoned vet with dozens of tour wins and a major at one of the most impossible courses ever played.

TheWorstPlayer 01-04-2007 05:03 PM

if your two options are to believe that he entered into a bet he couldn't win 1 try in 10 or to believe he has improved significantly from the last time you saw him play (when was that?) which option do you think is more likely?

PokerJans 01-04-2007 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but the general premise that guys like PI do not enter into the terrible bets that you think they do still holds. Basically, if a solid pro gambler enters into a bet and you think it's ridiculously against him - think again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Phil Ivey is known to play craps for pretty high stakes. Those bets are always against him [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

While he might be better at golf than we think, don't discount the action he's seeking by playing a Tour professional for $10k/hole.

These guys don't even get enough action at $4,000/$8,000 hold em and they need prop bets on what suit the flop will be?????

[/ QUOTE ]

It is clear Ivey doesnt mind taking the worst of it from time to time.

Also in my original posts in this thread I missed they are playing 10K a hole. That changes a lot if Ivey is playing from the reds as some holes are going to play drastically different depending on which tee you hit from. The layout of the course becomes important.

I also misintrepted how short this course is from the reds. I think most 10 handicaps could break par. A 15 handicap would have a tougher time. Again a lot of this depends on the layout of the course again. And of course unless the person has a registered USGA handicap whatever their opinion of their handicap is doesnt mean [censored].

I don't know if anyone has brought this up yet but this is the course Ivey plays everyday right? I used to live on a golf course during my teenage years and would play the same track everyday...It is much easier.

I am starting to lean towards Ivey actually winning this if he is actually a 10-15

Yeti 01-04-2007 05:08 PM

It seems like everyone in this thread has 'seen Ivey's swing'. Are you all regulars at Summerlin or are you still referring to the 2-3 years old WPT ep?

7n7 01-04-2007 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems like everyone in this thread has 'seen Ivey's swing'. Are you all regulars at Summerlin or are you still referring to the 2-3 years old WPT ep?

[/ QUOTE ]

PokerStars 3 showed him playing golf. Granted he dug one out of the sand and it looked to be a pretty decent shot, but I think Ivey said it was luck...probably so he wouldn't scare off future action though. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]