Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   ***Official SSNL What Now? Panic/Don't Panic Thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=226438)

4_2_it 10-03-2006 04:27 PM

Re: ***Official SSNL What Now? Panic/Don\'t Panic Thread

[ QUOTE ]
Grunch,

nice post, but FWIW, if you enjoy your job and enjoy the people you work with, theres no reason that its a bad thing if life=work

[/ QUOTE ]

Disagree. As the old proverb goes --- No one has ever said on his death bed, "Damn, if only I could have spent more time working instead of raising a family."

I'll gladly trade the best days at work for the worst days with my kids and I enjoy my job.

goofyballer 10-03-2006 04:31 PM

Frank, most of us will probably see things the same way when we have families, but given that a lot of us are unmarried kids I think we're more inclined to be okay with becoming workaholics at whatever we find exciting (poker, or programming for me, etc.) and throwing our lives into that when we don't really have any other attachments.

dardo 10-03-2006 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The 2nd era ended on Friday. We are witnessing the early days of the 3rd era now. I predict the following changes that will occur because of this "disaster."

[/ QUOTE ]

I don.t see the point of this post. I don.t think online poker is finished.

Regarding, live poker. I would play it only for entertainment and when I become rich. It must be crazy being a professional. Can you imagine 2 years running bad?

About anything else ,sure. We live in a world full of possibilities. If one door closes, there.s a hudreth waiting to be openend.

regards,

dardo

4_2_it 10-03-2006 04:41 PM

goofy,

I understand, but that is one of the mistakes that most of us make in our youth.

I was so into one of my previous jobs that I was talking to boss about projections or something while my wife was in the delivery room giving birth. What if I was playing online poker? It's the same thing.

There is a famous saying "Youth is wasted upon the young." There is a kernel of truth there. Grunch and I are just trying to point that out.

I do not think either of us (though Grunch can speak for himself) intends to come across as a condescending ass. We are just sharing some of our life experiences with you youngins [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Life is short. Enjoy every moment.

Grunch 10-03-2006 04:45 PM

Frank, I agree with you completely. Feel free to speak for me at any time. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Dan Bitel 10-03-2006 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
goofy,

I understand, but that is one of the mistakes that most of us make in our youth.

I was so into one of my previous jobs that I was talking to boss about projections or something while my wife was in the delivery room giving birth. What if I was playing online poker? It's the same thing.

There is a famous saying "Youth is wasted upon the young." There is a kernel of truth there. Grunch and I are just trying to point that out.

I do not think either of us (though Grunch can speak for himself) intends to come across as a condescending ass. We are just sharing some of our life experiences with you youngins [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Life is short. Enjoy every moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obv when you have a family, things change, but until then I really think that life can be your job (as long as you enjoy it). And by that, I don't mean just your life in the office, I also mean the time going to bars/clubs etc with work coleges clients etc.

You ask an unmarried footballer on his death bed if he wished he could've "worked" more, I bet you he would say yes

mosuavea 10-03-2006 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You ask an unmarried footballer on his death bed if he wished he could've "worked" more, I bet you he would say yes

[/ QUOTE ]

Ill bet he says I wish I worked harder at making a family

Grunch 10-03-2006 04:54 PM

D -

I'm guessing that you are walking your talk? That you have a job that you equate with your life?

Then let me ask you a hypothetical. If you were fired tomorrow, is it time for you to die?

Dan Bitel 10-03-2006 05:03 PM

grunch,

I only just finished uni!!! So no job for me yet. But my life plan basically ivolves me getting a job that I will be good at and pays a lot but I won't enjoy. Do that for a bit till i got more than enough to retire. Then retire and get a job as something I WILL enjoy, such as become a teacher or maybe owning a restaurant or 2 around the world

tubasteve 10-03-2006 05:04 PM

Nice post Grunch. I feel a little ridiculous for the way I've been looking at the situation now...thanks.