Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   STOP OVERPLAYING POCKET PAIRS AND WHINING WHEN YOU LOSE WITH THEM!1!!1 (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=693)

jman220 02-16-2006 05:40 PM

Re: STOP OVERPLAYING POCKET PAIRS AND WHINING WHEN YOU LOSE WITH THEM!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
jman, are you saying AK when it misses the flop is fav over a PP? NO ITS NOT. True the AK has 6 outs but the PP has 2 outs to make trips and 9 outs (pairing any of the flop cards) to make 2 pair. Thats 12 outs against the AKs 6 outs, 12/6=2 so the PP is 2/1 fav but since there are 2 cards to come 2/2=1 its even money. Hence the phrase coinflip for PPs vs AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

The "coinflip" is a common misconception. First, the "9 outs" you refer to to "pair any of the flop cards" exists for the overcards too, so those can't be addressed here. Its very simple, the better hand in poker is the one with more outs. Clearly, AK has more outs than QQ, therefoer AK is a strong favorte 6 outs versus 2 outs is a 3:1 favorite. Stop overplaying your pocket pairs moran!

[/ QUOTE ]

jman - did you ever address the fact that, since the flop has 3 cards, they have 18 outs (3*6 outs) to counterfeit the pair, thus giving AK EVEN MORE OUTS!!! not to mention quads on the board!

it's a wonder AK is only a 3:1 favourite

[/ QUOTE ]

indeed.

tolbiny 03-04-2006 03:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wow, who knew there was some many morans on this board.

If you wanna really get good at poker study chapter 4 good and hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Carefull! These poker writers aren't idiots. The put filling up on the river as the last chapter knowing that no one reads that far. AFter you read chapter 4 and go all gung ho with your sets the real "pros" will be raking your cahs with their straights and flushes. Read chapter 8!

jman220 03-07-2006 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
wow, who knew there was some many morans on this board.

If you wanna really get good at poker study chapter 4 good and hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Carefull! These poker writers aren't idiots. The put filling up on the river as the last chapter knowing that no one reads that far. AFter you read chapter 4 and go all gung ho with your sets the real "pros" will be raking your cahs with their straights and flushes. Read chapter 8!

[/ QUOTE ]

huh?

jman220 07-08-2006 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You say 3:1 fav to improve for overcards -- haven't you ignored the fact that the pocket pair doesn't have to improve to win or is this thread a joke? It seems like all the threads under this topic have some underlying sarcasm to them...

[/ QUOTE ]

I was about to ask the same thing... I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can't understand the simple math in this thread then you should definitely cry, and go back to first grade. People with less than 50 posts shouldn't be allowed to post, theyr'e always so dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quoted because Sponger has just made a post in ATF asking for a similar rule. HERE

Five-Star 07-08-2006 12:28 PM

Re: STOP OVERPLAYING POCKET PAIRS AND WHINING WHEN YOU LOSE WITH THEM!1!!1

[ QUOTE ]
reading this thread is two minutes of my life i will never get back.

[/ QUOTE ]

2 minutes? wow

Kala1928 07-08-2006 02:36 PM

3:1 is the new coinflip

bottomset 07-08-2006 03:19 PM

when I was still new to 2+2, I used to think that all the posters were winning players. I have since realized how ignorant I was back then, this thread is a good reminder

Andrew Karpinski 07-08-2006 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

rigged

jman220 07-08-2006 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
when I was still new to 2+2, I used to think that all the posters were winning players. I have since realized how ignorant I was back then, this thread is a good reminder

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, all the people who posted in this thread arguing that I was wrong are clearly losing players. Do you see why?

jman220 07-08-2006 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats because a head is considerably heavier than a tail.