Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   does the pointlessness of your life bother you? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=437077)

Dadswell 07-03-2007 01:01 PM

Re: does the pointlessness of your life bother you?

Occasionally I think about this type of thing but then I quickly remember that what you accomplish in life really doesn't mean all that much in the grand scheme of things. As long as you enjoy yourself, are happy, don't harm anyone else, that's all that really matters. In the end all you really have is memories & experiences, and in my case I'm hoping the good far outweigh the bad.

xxThe_Lebowskixx 07-03-2007 02:47 PM

omfg your avatar is great.

xxThe_Lebowskixx 09-10-2007 08:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In conclusion he asserts the only meaning in life comes through God.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, the only meaning in life can come through self delusion. That makes sense to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem really sure of a position that can't be proved or even positively argued for. Come down from the clouds.

Read some St. Augustine or Kierkegaard or something.

[/ QUOTE ]
Aren't 21st Century Scientists better sources of information than these guys?

xxThe_Lebowskixx 09-10-2007 08:33 AM

Re: Purpose of life

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone else wonder about the possibility that morality is dependent on a purpose to life?

[/ QUOTE ]
morality is based on reciprocity. human beings only care about that which benefits their genes ability to survive and reproduce (our purpose). our brains developed a sense of fairness. if we are kind to others, they will be kind to us. so you are correct.

xxThe_Lebowskixx 09-10-2007 08:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't read the thread but the title is enough:

1) Don't contemplate this stuff. It's the reason religion is as popular as it is.
2) You won't find an answer by thinking about it. And throughout history any "answer" that someone has found has either been something that can't be proven until dead or just silly.
3) Yes, number 1 above is hard to do when you are self-aware (a lot of times I wish I was that kid that no grasp of anything than the current moment)
4) If you live by some spimple rules (ie don't kill/rape/steal) you are likely going to do fine whatever the case may be
5) If you do end up thinking about this stuff (it's inevitable for someone with a reasonably imaginative mind as well as those who NEED answers) then write out some thoughts, read a book or two, but don't jump in too deep because in the end everything has seemed to be pointless
6) If you find you can't get your mind off of a topic, start focusing on something concrete (photography, sculpting, running, writing, comedy, movies). Anything to get yourself out of your own [censored] head.

[/ QUOTE ]
you nailed it, imho.

DonkBluffer 09-10-2007 08:54 AM

For some reason, it makes me happy to think about the fact that my body will, in time, die, rot and eventually be gone altogether. Nothing can happen to it, because it isn't really there. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Also, I once had the thought that I was not forced to live by anyone. I could kill myself if I chose to, so I don't HAVE to do anything, and I'm completely freerolling if something good does happen.

morphball 09-11-2007 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
sam, honest question. the thought of our sole purpose in life being to procreate often depresses me. is this what you are talking about, or something different?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given that your genes want you to care for your young, there is probably some genetic coding that makes you feel fulfilled while caring for your children.