Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   The Official NHL Playoffs Thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=374287)

MrFeelNothin 04-11-2007 04:01 AM

Re: The Official NHL Playoffs Thread

After reading your posts in this thread, this statement from last month is beginning to make more sense:

"If the Flames had the canucks' chemistry, they would be heading for the Presidents Trophy."

-Soft Euro Fan.

Hopey 04-11-2007 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That's insane. Calgary, the best team on paper? You're joking, right? Besides Huselius and Iginla, this team doesn't have much serious scoring power, and their defense isn't outstanding. The only way I see them beating the Wings, or ANY other team in the Western Conference is if Kiprusoff stands on his head, a la 2003-2004. I'm not saying the Flames don't have a chance; they do, just like every other team, but I feel Detroit's forwards will be the difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calgary - 6th in NHL in scoring, 2nd in Western Conference. 11th in NHL in GA, 8th in West.

Detroit - 10th in NHL in scoring, 2nd in GA.

Calgary - 4 players in the top 35 in scoring.
Detroit - 1 player in the top 35 in scoring (and that player averages 0.36PPG in the playoffs).

Calgary - Easily the best top to bottom defense corps in the NHL. A top 3 goalie and reigning Vezina winner in goal; The best leader currently in the playoffs.

A team full of playoff warriors. Iginla, Regehr, Huselius, Conroy, Langkow, Friesen, Kiprusoff etc etc.

What do the Wings have? A bunch of soft euros, a 41 year old goalie and a thug "superstar". Nik Lidstrom is the only player on that team worth talking about.

Buffalo is the only team that can match the Flames on paper.

I'm going to predict it right now - Buffalo/Calgary SCF. Who wins...I don't know. But it'll be a hell of a series.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh...this is the type of obnoxious and delusional stuff I'd expect to hear from a Leafs fan...not a Flames fan.

Yads 04-11-2007 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Besides Huselius and Iginla, this team doesn't have much serious scoring power

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a pretty ignorant statement. The Flames scored 258 goals while the Red Wings scored 254.

bluef0x 04-11-2007 01:04 PM

Warren Strelow, San Jose's goaltending coach, passed away this morning. This guy was a god when it came to coaching goalies.... and is the reason why Kipprusoff and Nabokov (both late-round picks) have had stellar seasons. I really hope this doesn't affect Nabby's play... not a great way to start the playoffs.

RIP Strelow.

Triumph36 04-11-2007 04:54 PM

bump - 4 games tonight, finally.

Pittsburgh @ Ottawa - 7 PM EST
San Jose @ Nashville - 8 PM EST
Dallas @ Vancouver - 10 PM EST
Minnesota @ Anaheim - 10:30 EST

Center Ice ftw

g-bebe 04-11-2007 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Besides Huselius and Iginla, this team doesn't have much serious scoring power

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a pretty ignorant statement. The Flames scored 258 goals while the Red Wings scored 254.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever, include Langkow, between him, Iginla and Huselius, they account for 40% of the Flames' goals this year. What I'm trying to say is that Detroit has a much more balanced attack. The Flames have 9 players with 10 or more goals, whereas the Red Wings had 13 players with 10 or more.

1C5 04-11-2007 05:22 PM

who needs center ice if you are in canada? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

1C5 04-11-2007 05:23 PM

Stop bickering with meaningless stats. Yes, when playoff time comes around all these stats being thrown around mean nothing.

72off 04-11-2007 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
who needs center ice if you are in canada? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was about to say the same thing:

Pitt/Ott - CBC
SJ/Nash - TSN
Dal/Van - CBC
Minn/Ana - TSN

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Looks like the only game that will be unavailable (save for time conflicts) in the near future is game 1 of Tampa/NJ. Oh well, not like I'm that interested in that series anyway.

Guess I can forget about getting anything done in the coming weeks.

1C5 04-11-2007 05:53 PM

wtf am I going to watch, SJ/NSH or Pitts/OTT??

Flip a coin???