Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Golf (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Biggest Golf Pet Peeve (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=449091)

Aces McGee 07-19-2007 02:00 PM

Re: Biggest Golf Pet Peeve

[ QUOTE ]
Do they say "I golfed well today"

[/ QUOTE ]

No more than a handful of people -- professional or hacker -- say this. If you want to say that pros never say they are "going golfing" fine (I have no idea if it is true or not but suspect it isn't), but this is a terrble example.

EDIT: Also, knicknut, why are you okay with "golfer" but not okay with "golfing"?

-McGee

Evan 07-19-2007 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

EDIT: Also, knicknut, why are you okay with "golfer" but not okay with "golfing"?

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]
Because "golf player," like "going golfing," sounds retarded. This has a lot more to do with not sounding like a noob, excuse my e-parlance, than it does with parts of speech.

Aces McGee 07-19-2007 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This has a lot more to do with not sounding like a noob, excuse my e-parlance, than it does with parts of speech.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's okay with me, then.

-McGee

By-Tor 07-19-2007 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]
Because "golf player," like "going golfing," sounds retarded. This has a lot more to do with not sounding like a noob, excuse my e-parlance, than it does with parts of speech.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is one of the stupidest things i've ever read.

Evan 07-19-2007 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is one of the stupidest things i've ever read.

[/ QUOTE ]
I promise it's not. It's like if you heard someone describing a poker hand and they said something like "I called his bet and then raised 10 more." They sound like they don't know what the hell they're talking about and you're going to assume they suck. Same exact through process here. I assure you you've read lots of stupider things.

knicknut 07-19-2007 03:19 PM

McGee: Parts of speech hold up as well, though.

I say "golf" is a noun, not a verb.
"Golfer" is also a noun.
"Golfing" is a gerund, with the verb as its root.

So while my rationale is more about sounding right (as Evan stated) than grammatical consistency, my logic is grammatically consistent as well.

Aces McGee 07-19-2007 04:17 PM

I was never really taught the parts of speech beyond noun, verb, and adjective, but it seems to me that "golfer" isn't all that dissimilar to "golfing." "Golfer" means, essentially, "one who plays golf," while "golfing" would be the "act of playing golf." Both terms leave out the form of the verb "to play," because it's silly to say that Tiger Woods is a "professional player of golf." But if we allow "golfer," I think we also have to allow "golfing" -- and indeed, the dictionary does allow it.

-McGee

knicknut 07-19-2007 08:16 PM

And as I said earlier in this thread, just because it's in the dictionary doesn't mean I have to find it acceptable and appropriate. If you disagree, that's your prerogative, but it doesn't change the fact that I make different assumptions about the sophistication of people who use "play golf" and "golfer" from "go golfing" and "to golf." And I'm not the only one.

Hey_Porter 07-19-2007 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And as I said earlier in this thread, just because it's in the dictionary doesn't mean I have to find it acceptable and appropriate. If you disagree, that's your prerogative, but it doesn't change the fact that I make different assumptions about the sophistication of people who use "play golf" and "golfer" from "go golfing" and "to golf." And I'm not the only one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Worst discussion in the golf forum, ever. He is right, it is proper to use "golf" as a verb. You are right, you have the option, right or wrong, to judge people however you see fit. I'm all for argument for the sake of argument, but you're making this thread suck.

knicknut 07-19-2007 10:13 PM

I tried to drop this about 40 posts ago, but when people quote me and bring it back up, I felt the need to address their claims/questions.

And I still insist that you will not hear a professional say "I golf", "I will golf", "yesterday I golfed", etc. etc. etc. and it annoys me when people who don't play golf ask me "So, you golfed today?" That's all I have to say.