Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Puzzles and Other Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Halloween WW - Costume Party (Game Thread) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=528193)

Our House 11-14-2007 04:25 PM

Re: Halloween WW - Custome Party (Game Thread)

[ QUOTE ]
Dustin, nice job convincing the village to lynch you. We had you written off... What's more amazing is that you did it without using vowels...

[/ QUOTE ]
Holy [censored], I forgot (maybe because it was so long ago) all about this awesomeness. Dustin, incredible!! That was what made us win...almost singlehandedly. And LOL village for lynching a poisoned guy that was dying anyway. Classic stuff.

KyrosMother 11-14-2007 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
GG wolves. lynch KM

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah...you were <u>another</u> thorn in our side (or at least mine). I was really glad we had to kill you. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

HerbieGRD 11-14-2007 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dustin, nice job convincing the village to lynch you. We had you written off... What's more amazing is that you did it without using vowels...

[/ QUOTE ]
Holy [censored], I forgot (maybe because it was so long ago) all about this awesomeness. Dustin, incredible!! That was what made us win...almost singlehandedly. And LOL village for lynching a poisoned guy that was dying anyway. Classic stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]
I remember reading some of that day and thinking "if Dustin gets lynched here village deserves to lose regardless of Dustin's role". Morans [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

VoraciousReader 11-14-2007 04:29 PM

At least I got to shoot OH.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

KyrosMother 11-14-2007 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What was funnier was watching all the wolves scrambling to vote him, so none of us would be the last vote....and then jgunnip pointing it out the next day.

KyrosMother 11-14-2007 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At least I got to shoot OH.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

He was <u>very</u> unhappy with you. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

VoraciousReader 11-14-2007 04:33 PM

I don't know why he was so surprised. fmxda came up villager, ergo, nich was not trying to defend him, ergo, nich is the seer, ergo, OH is evil. It seemed reasonable to me at the time.

But then he didn't die and I was cast into confusion.

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Zurvan 11-14-2007 04:38 PM

It should be noted that OH was attacked 3 times this game. My vampire killing powers were ineffective on non-vampires, though, or this game could have turned out very differently.

Mark_K 11-14-2007 04:42 PM

I was thinking about the Dustin lynch....

That lynch never happens if Books didn't have his specific role. Books wanted a controlled lynch so he gets his votes and the wolves wanted Dustin lynched. Two opposing groups suddenly had an united goal... Kind-of weird but interesting.

Also, on the Nich lynch... The wolves decided the previous night that we NEEDED to get Nich lynched the next day. The chance of the wolves winning without Nich being lynched was slim. So ALL the wolves piled on Nich, it only took a few wayward villagers to tilt the vote to a Nich lynch. We were making up as many reasons as we could why Nich had to go... Luckily the stars aligned for us.

Bottom line, these "suboptimal" village lynches really were less clear to the village when in the heat of a very confusing battle.

wdcbooks 11-14-2007 04:53 PM

Wow, this is finally over. I actually thought I played this fairly well, which is a rare thing for me to say. My role was such that I would be told if an evil person voted for me. So if I get five votes and one wolf votes for me then I would be told only that one wolf voted for you. I realized that this could be a bonanza if I could get only villagers on me, but I wasn't allowed to specifically encourage that. So I parcelled out information over several days that would subtly discourage wolves from voting for me. The night I died I would have cleared three villagers. If I had succeeded the night before I clear four.

The village started out well, but not killing Mark was inexplicable. I was sure it was won, because I knew right away Mark accidentally claimed a role he would be forced to prove right away. When he failed to save Nich I thought the next day would take about five minutes.

Way to survive wolves.

chuckleslovakian 11-14-2007 04:55 PM

Goddamn wolves killing me, I felt I was in control of the game too. The whole point of killing dazbag was to convince the wolves not to kill me. Sigh. I was 3/4 on guessing wolves when I died. Mark was super obvious. Hell I'm pretty sure we both killed Roundtower the same night because we were both worried about him being seer because of his Mark hints.

tarheeljks 11-14-2007 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
did tarheels really put the final vote on fcbl?? wow, especially when monk was voting KM. ugh that is just ugly

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i [censored] up big time there. i had a bad feeling about it but i was really just getting impatient.

VoraciousReader 11-14-2007 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The village started out well, but not killing Mark was inexplicable. I was sure it was won, because I knew right away Mark accidentally claimed a role he would be forced to prove right away. When he failed to save Nich I thought the next day would take about five minutes

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that the lynch took place at a time that Mark claimed to be "away". If the village could have patiently waited for the lynch until it was obvious that he was dodging us, then he absolutely dies. But it's difficult to push for lynching someone for being away for less than 12 hours, when people like me frequently have situations where we have to be afk for longer than that.

However, this was misplaced, because I realized afterwards (without knowing ANY roles) that the mere fact mark was alive the next day meant he had to be evil, since the wolves couldn't afford to let anyone with that kind of power hang around at that point.

Bah. I feel like I, personally, played very unevenly this game. Some playing well, some moments of sheer idiocy.

Well played by the evil team. Great recovery.

wdcbooks 11-14-2007 05:06 PM

Actually it didn't take place when Mark was away. As soon as someone suggested he use his powers on Nich he posted something like, "Ok be gone for a long time, bye". I thought it was incredibly transparent that he knew he had manouvered himself into a bad situation and was running off.

tarheeljks 11-14-2007 05:09 PM

for a large portion of the game i was playing checkers while others were playing chess, but this was still fun. look forward to doing another one.

Our House 11-14-2007 05:16 PM

Who was playing chess? Did it look like we were Rushin'??

(OMG horrible pun)

VoraciousReader 11-14-2007 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually it didn't take place when Mark was away. As soon as someone suggested he use his powers on Nich he posted something like, "Ok be gone for a long time, bye". I thought it was incredibly transparent that he knew he had manouvered himself into a bad situation and was running off.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was how it seemed to me at the time, which was why I posted something like "Don't ignore me, mark", but then when I reread it the time was so close I thought, well, maybe he just had to go and didn't refresh the thread.

LOL me.

VoraciousReader 11-14-2007 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

(OMG horrible pun)

[/ QUOTE ]

Get thee behind me, Satan! Take your vile puns and begone!

Mark_K 11-14-2007 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I wrote my post after I realized the error in my claim but before reading VR's... If I read VR's post first, I think I just shut-up and disappear.

Chuck, we were really trying hard to not kill you. The problem was that we were convinced that a seer still existed in the game and you were pretty much the only remaining option. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

GetThere1Time 11-14-2007 05:25 PM

Hey I think I was in this game

dmk 11-14-2007 05:27 PM

thoughts on overall game design/balance?

i thought it was fairly balanced, given that i made up half the roles as i was sending the PMs out

like the pseudo-villager pumpkin stuff?

Our House 11-14-2007 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

(OMG horrible pun)

[/ QUOTE ]

Get thee behind me, Satan! Take your vile puns and begone!

[/ QUOTE ]
Pregame:

[13:35:45 Monday] OH: sup
[13:35:52 Monday] dmk: yo
[13:36:33 Monday] dmk: i'm trying to re-work your role so you aren't such a pussy OH
[13:36:48 Monday] OH: the devil can't be a pussy
[13:36:55 Monday] dmk: have you seen southpark? of course he can
[13:37:00 Monday] OH: oh [censored]

tarheeljks 11-14-2007 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

(OMG horrible pun)

[/ QUOTE ]

hah. it was just the fact that people were referencing metagame and such and saying so and so wouldn't say/do such and such as a wolf/villager based on history. at the beginning of the game everyone else came in w/a plan, whereas i was just trying to keep up. my "wolfy" questions were really just me not knowing wtf was going on.

in the end i should have trusted my gut and gone opposite of mark, oh well.

VoraciousReader 11-14-2007 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

i thought it was fairly balanced, given that i made up half the roles as i was sending the PMs out

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it looked more balanced than it was because Dracula died night 1. I think with him out of the game it seemed pretty even. But I think with Dracula in village is pretty much hosed.

GetThere1Time 11-14-2007 05:34 PM

I think OH's role was broken. I really enjoyed the lack of pregame role listing, roles with duplicate powers, good/evil roles mirror roles. I think it's a good device to keep things from turning into a claimfest which is generally a huge problem with role heavy games. Also it's kinda hard to break the game with unknown mechanics.

KyrosMother 11-14-2007 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We were actually talking about this in wolf-chat. It always seems like the wolves feel like it is lopsided for the village and the village feels it is lopsided for the wolves. The loser generally complains more than the winner.

In this case, the wolves won, but the village could have very easily, on numerous occasions, forced a different outcome. In fact, but for a few things, they would have crushed us.

I, for one, never really think <u>any</u> of these games are overly lopsided one way or the other. You guys always seem to do a pretty good job working this stuff out. More often than not, a win or loss is based on a few excellent plays on each team, a few poor plays on each team, and a whole lot of luck. If you did this on the fly - I am impressed.

VoraciousReader 11-14-2007 05:36 PM

Btw, tarheel, it was a pleasure having you in the game. As soon as the contest in TLDR is over I'll show my appreciation by linking you to all the steamy videos I was going to submit if you all hadn't disallowed it.

VoraciousReader 11-14-2007 05:37 PM

btw, I'm not blaming the village loss on game design. Village had ample opportunity to win, and we pissed away all of our chances. But the evils had some pretty strong powers in this game, and since they will almost always use them perfectly, vs villagers who will waste them, I think it was uneven.

tarheeljks 11-14-2007 05:39 PM

i'm probably not the one to speak about the role balance, but we definitely had our chances to take this game down.

KyrosMother 11-14-2007 05:42 PM

Tar,

You played excellent for a new player. I was the only one picking on you and that was because I was evil. I generally don't go after new players early on and I thought that no one would think I would risk doing it as a wolf, because it would draw attention to myself.

Apparently VR didn't get that memo....

tarheeljks 11-14-2007 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Btw, tarheel, it was a pleasure having you in the game. As soon as the contest in TLDR is over I'll show my appreciation by linking you to all the steamy videos I was going to submit if you all hadn't disallowed it.

[/ QUOTE ]

heh, excellent [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Mark_K 11-14-2007 05:45 PM

Tar,

What were your powers?

KyrosMother 11-14-2007 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
btw, I'm not blaming the village loss on game design. Village had ample opportunity to win, and we pissed away all of our chances. But the evils had some pretty strong powers in this game, and since they will almost always use them perfectly, vs villagers who will waste them, I think it was uneven.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an excellent point I never thought about. Wolves will always use their powers to their max and can coordinate them well. Villagers can't and don't.

But if Books gets his votes Day 1, the game is all but over and that would have really sucked.

tarheeljks 11-14-2007 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are a Ninja. You are aligned with the villager team.

You have the ability to ninja-vanish. This will allow you to avoid 1 NK. I will inform you when this has been used.

[/ QUOTE ]

Our House 11-14-2007 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Given that the wolves barely won, and the village very easily should have won, I'd say this game was pretty well balanced.

As for the overall structure, who knows? This game design is so random that it could have went in so many different directions. Sort of like MTTs; it takes 62464367532347 years for the numbers to converge.

Mark_K 11-14-2007 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You are a Ninja. You are aligned with the villager team.

You have the ability to ninja-vanish. This will allow you to avoid 1 NK. I will inform you when this has been used.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That was it? OMG, the wolf team was going through contortions to avoid your target changing or NK changing powers. We were swapping out who does the NK etc...

I pictured a good version of Darth Vader... When you didn't die, I thought we were really screwed.

Our House 11-14-2007 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But the evils had some pretty strong powers in this game, and since they will almost always use them perfectly

[/ QUOTE ]
Tell this to Mark. He took a power that he didn't even have and used it the worst way possible. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

tarheeljks 11-14-2007 05:53 PM

my vote for books was the only vote i was confident about all game

HerbieGRD 11-14-2007 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Selfish thought - I should have only died if Blade killed me (since I have to be alive to win).

Mark_K 11-14-2007 05:58 PM

BTW, Luckay used his Darth Vader power to switch Epi's protection N1 to OH... Too bad Luckay didn't protect himself.