Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   2+2er Nike Plus running group - who's in? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=295947)

skunkworks 01-05-2007 07:09 PM

Re: 2+2er Nike Plus running group - who\'s in?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I can confirm that the $29 Nike+ kit on Amazon is the one you want (I got it a couple days ago). The other one is sold by a non-Amazon seller. Unfortunately, the Marware case is only sold by a 3rd party on Amazon so it will take longer to ship.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, when I ordered it earlier this week, I actually got the shipping confirmation for the Marware case before I got my Amazon shipping notification. So it's a somewhat fast 3rd party at least.

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] my order is still processing.

DonkeyKongSr 01-05-2007 07:19 PM

Finally got my challenge invite. I should get my first run in tomorrow.

1C5 01-05-2007 07:25 PM

didn't read the whole thread but I assume this works just as well on the treadmill as outside?

DonkeyKongSr 01-05-2007 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2. What exactly does the Nike + thing do? I have a general idea but not sure about all the features it is (both for live running and after I upload it to the Nike site)

3. Does the Marware kit come with the thing that holds it in the shoe, the wrist holder AND the arm holder? Is it not annoying on your arm or wrist when you are running?

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

2) It keeps track of mileage, time, and calories. There is a voice that tells you key marks in your runs, including all details on a single button press. You can set goals for each run by distance, time, or calories right on the iPod. There's a few more things I can't think of right now. On the site, all your data is gathered and you can set long term goals that it will track progress on. There's a bunch of other stuff it can do. Check out nikeplus.com for more details.

3) The wristband and armband are the same thing. I think there's an extender for strapping to your arm. I've never tried the wristband with my current band, but the armband isn't all that bad once you get used to the headphone wire dnagling around. You tune it out after awhile. I just got the Nike headphones where the wire comes out behind my head, which should be even less noticeable.

DonkeyKongSr 01-05-2007 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
didn't read the whole thread but I assume this works just as well on the treadmill as outside?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Basically footstrike exercises. No ellipticals or bikes. Not really sure how accurate it would be with step aerobics, but it should register on the Nike+.

The basics from the website on how it works...
[ QUOTE ]
How does Nike+ work?

The Nike+ sensor fits perfectly in the pocket of your footwear, located under the sockliner of your left shoe. The Nike+ receiver fits into the iPod nano and enables the connection with the sensor in your shoe and the iPod nano, and adds the Nike+iPod menu item to the nano screen.

The Nike+ sensor wirelessly transmits foot motion data through the Nike+ receiver to the iPod nano. The iPod nano tracks the progress and measures pace, distance, elapsed time and calories burned, and gives real-time audible feedback through the headphones while you are listening to your favorite workout music. At the end of a run the data can be easily stored in a custom workout log on nikeplus.com.

[/ QUOTE ]

1C5 01-05-2007 08:02 PM

Thanks. I just have to get an ipod and will then order the Nike +.

I am unsure if I am going to get the Malware kit or just this: http://www.shoepouch.com/ instead as I don't mind holding an MP3 player in my hand when I run.

DonkeyKongSr 01-05-2007 08:10 PM

When I was at the Apple store the other day, I could have sworn there was a Marware band called the Sprint which strapped around your hand, but I can't find it on the Marware website or through Google. Weird.

EDIT: Found it. Marware Sportsuit Sprinter. Doesn't look like it would really hold the Nano with the Nike+ receiver attached though.

EDIT #2: The first comment on that page says it works. So, might be a good idea for those that like to run with the iPod in hand. Get that and a shoe pouch.

goodguy_1 01-05-2007 10:48 PM

check out this website to log your running or any other workouts-I use it to log all my workouts mostly swimming but it's mainly a running website:

http://www.coolrunning.com/

DonkeyKongSr 01-06-2007 06:33 PM

Re: 2+2er Nike Plus group

So, I went to the gym today to try this out. Here's my tip: calibrate it on a high school track first.

I started on the treadmill and the default calibration was way off what the treadmill said, so I tried to calibrate it. It kept saying that it was not getting a distance anywhere near what I was telling it. So, after awhile I said "F it" and left to go to a nearby high school track.

First a 1/4 mile walk calibration: It nailed it to the exact last step I took. Very nice.

Then a 1/4 mile run calibration: It had me a 0.20, but accepted it and recalibrated.

Then a 1/4 mile test run, at a speed faster than I ran the calibration lap: 0.24 miles. Pretty damn good.

Then a 1/4 mile fast jog test lap: 0.25 miles. So, the calibration nailed it.

Tomorrow I'll go back to the gym and test the treadmill now that it's better calibrated.

Oh yeah, that Nike+ site does have some really cool displays of the runs (showing your speed changes throughout the run and stuff) but it's buggy as hell right now. Hopefully they get their [censored] togeter. One thing I do wish is that it would keep track of your weight on each run, since you can set that right on your iPod for calorie estimation. I'd update it everytime I go to the gym if it kept track of that. Seems like a simple addition. I think I'll write that suggestion to them.

tdarko 01-06-2007 07:26 PM

Re: 2+2er Nike Plus group

DonkeyKongSr,

I used it for the first time today w/o calibrating and am wondering if this is why my results were very puzzling. I am in pretty good shape though right now I have been lifting weights more than running. Even still every year when I start running I can run 7-7:30 minute miles my first time out and bring my times down to 6 minute miles. I ran for 20 minutes today on the treadmill at a pace that seemed pretty fast (8.0 for most of the run and 9.0 for about 3 minutes) and it said my pace was 10:22 per mile, wtf? I can walk that and I was running pretty well. Is it b/c I didn't calibrate?