Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2007, 10:10 PM

Default Re: *The Gym* Health and Fitness (and how you can lose weight, fatso)

45-90
Old 02-22-2007, 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thanks for the post...

kind of lame, but i love peanut butter, but its pretty high in fat and super high in calories for small amounts...i figure enough regular jif or whatever to put on a normal sized apple is like 3 servings worth or around 400-500 cals, wtf...is there a way to get around this? some magical brand you get?

[/ QUOTE ]

Try the peanut butter at TJs, less sugar. The almond butter they have is also pretty good.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Try a high protein, high fat, low carb diet instead. Everyone and their mother thinks fat is bad for you. Wrong. Fat is good for you. Eat a lot of fat. Does fat spike insulin and make you store it? No. Do sugar/starch/processed foods? Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is this: People who intake a lot of fat also intake a ton of carbs. Most people find it very, VERY hard to give up bread and other things. This is just not a feasible diet for most people, especially ones that are working out or are budding athletes.

Furthermore, I disagree (as do many) that eating a lot of fat in general is fine. It's easily stored in the body, and by cutting carbs drastically, you can lower your total energy levels, which is simply not good no matter what.

Again, the idea should be to be healthy - not lose weight. Cutting out carbs in general is not healthy.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

• Lift heavy weights for mass, light weights more often for tone. Lifting heavy weights is the best way to maximize your workout in the gym, get your heart rate going, and help your body burn fat. Lifting heavy weights will increase your overall body tone, power, and strength, while multiple reps of lighter weight will only serve to increase endurance. This is not really what you want if you want to lose weight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mean to look a gift horse in the mouth (given that I opened this thread, you didn't force me to read it), but why should we believe you about that? Where is your source? I subscribe to two women's fitness magazines and they pretty much stick to low weight, high reps for tone. they do agree that weight training is helful to supplement cardio, FWIW.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On average, how many grams of fat do you think you intake daily?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, probably about 30g, though I shoot for less.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:13 PM

cool, thanks.

are those pizzas good tasting? how much fat in them?
Old 02-22-2007, 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

• Lift heavy weights for mass, light weights more often for tone. Lifting heavy weights is the best way to maximize your workout in the gym, get your heart rate going, and help your body burn fat. Lifting heavy weights will increase your overall body tone, power, and strength, while multiple reps of lighter weight will only serve to increase endurance. This is not really what you want if you want to lose weight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mean to look a gift horse in the mouth (given that I opened this thread, you didn't force me to read it), but why should we believe you about that? Where is your source? I subscribe to two women's fitness magazines and they pretty much stick to low weight, high reps for tone. they do agree that weight training is helful to supplement cardio, FWIW.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bodybuilding.com, T-Nation, etc, etc. It's well-known, to be honest.

I will admit that I don't know a lot about women's health, and it could be drastically different because higher levels of fat are both acceptable and necessary on women.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
cool, thanks.

are those pizzas good tasting? how much fat in them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, they're really good. Here:

360 calories
Amount/Serving %DV*
Total Fat (4g) 6%
Saturated Fat (1.5g) 8%
Trans Fat (0g) 0%
Cholesterol (5mg) 2%
Sodium (460mg) 19%
Vitamin A 15%
Calcium 25%
Old 02-22-2007, 10:17 PM

And furthermore, AZK, being fat is not only a function of your diet - just cutting calories without exercise is a great way to lose lean body mass as well. There is such a thing as being "skinny fat," as Thremp likes to point out.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Try a high protein, high fat, low carb diet instead. Everyone and their mother thinks fat is bad for you. Wrong. Fat is good for you. Eat a lot of fat. Does fat spike insulin and make you store it? No. Do sugar/starch/processed foods? Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is this: People who intake a lot of fat also intake a ton of carbs. Most people find it very, VERY hard to give up bread and other things. This is just not a feasible diet for most people, especially ones that are working out or are budding athletes.

Furthermore, I disagree (as do many) that eating a lot of fat in general is fine. It's easily stored in the body, and by cutting carbs drastically, you can lower your total energy levels, which is simply not good no matter what.

Again, the idea should be to be healthy - not lose weight. Cutting out carbs in general is not healthy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose I should have been more clear. I have not cut carbs. I have cut processed carbs. I consume about 140g of carb a day...that's a lot. It's all vegetables/fruit, on average a banana/apple a day, and 2 lbs. of carrots/broccoli/other random veggies. Since giving up processed carbs. I find that I have more energy and I'm more clear-headed (less of that food coma fog after meals).