Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2007, 06:19 PM

Default Re: *The Gym* Health and Fitness (and how you can lose weight, fatso)

tx,

I know you have a lot of experience in powerlifting and training people, but total arm strength is almost useless for pitchers. The only arm exercises I did in my D-I program were basic arm care/endurance reps, like side shoulder raises, supination/pronation, and other light free weight work. Mark Wholers threw 100 mph without ever lifting something heavier than 5 pounds in the gym, and it is very evident in the baseball world that long and lean is optimal for velocity and endurance.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It's very difficult, if not impossible to do paleo diet without eating meat. As far as your comment about just because we didn't eat rice/bread doesn't mean it's bad, well it can't be good can it? Or at least not for another million years, when our bodies have gotten used to that staple food and are better adapted towards metabolizing it.

soy is bad for you, so what protein sources do you have? Meat is really important, it has been a part of man's diet from the beginning of time, why would you want to cut it out? I'll check out that book next time I'm on amazon.

[/ QUOTE ]

AZK,

I disagree with a few things here, and have some questions on other things. "...well it can't be good can it?" I do not see how that can really be a logical statement. You are assuming things, or basing that statement on things that you are aware of and I am not. (I am not sure which.)

Soy being bad for you....can you please expand on this? I have looked into the health effects of soy and while it is not a perfect food I would definitely (at this point at least) not say it was bad for someone. I would argue that it is beneficial to someone (similar to your argument for fish), so I will keep eating it.

I also think you mentioned it, but I don't have it qouted above, that veg/vegan diets do not take in enough protein. This I definitely disagree with, and am not sure why you would say that. You really think a conscious veg/vegan could not take in ~50g of protein per day? I myself think that number is a bit high, but I can definitely achieve it without meat or dairy. (This does involve beans and other things not advocated by Paleo methods).

Regarding why I do not eat meat, it is a personal choice regarding population, energy use, animal treatment, and a few other things (including health). With respect to this topic, I do not feel it is necessary to eat meat in order to live a healthy active lifestyle.

Regarding cooked foods, I assume you cook the fish, and you mention cooking the chicken and eggs. I was wondering why the fish and eggs specifically are cooked since the Paleo diet seems to favor raw items.

Regarding the book, please check it out, I would like to hear your thoughts on it.

[ QUOTE ]
yellowdoyle,

As a veg and even more as a vegan your diet will always suck and be sub par. Not as bad as a fast food aficionado, but it'll still suck it hard. Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thremp, can you please elaborate on why you think this is true? I appreciate your sentiments, but I really wish you would explain a bit more when you make general statements regarding things sucking and being unhealthy. At this point in time, I obviously disagree with you.

I by no means am a health expert, and I am looking forward to finding out more, but I do feel I can be as healthy as you guys while not eating all the same things.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:12 PM

yd,

Prolonged intake of soy products can cause depressed levels of testosterone and raised levels of estrogen. I'll let others elaborate.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Try a high protein, high fat, low carb diet instead. Everyone and their mother thinks fat is bad for you. Wrong. Fat is good for you. Eat a lot of fat. Does fat spike insulin and make you store it? No. Do sugar/starch/processed foods? Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is this: People who intake a lot of fat also intake a ton of carbs. Most people find it very, VERY hard to give up bread and other things. This is just not a feasible diet for most people, especially ones that are working out or are budding athletes.

Furthermore, I disagree (as do many) that eating a lot of fat in general is fine. It's easily stored in the body, and by cutting carbs drastically, you can lower your total energy levels, which is simply not good no matter what.

Again, the idea should be to be healthy - not lose weight. Cutting out carbs in general is not healthy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose I should have been more clear. I have not cut carbs. I have cut processed carbs. I consume about 140g of carb a day...that's a lot. It's all vegetables/fruit, on average a banana/apple a day, and 2 lbs. of carrots/broccoli/other random veggies. Since giving up processed carbs. I find that I have more energy and I'm more clear-headed (less of that food coma fog after meals).

[/ QUOTE ]

i just started skimming this thread. you say you don't eat processed carbs? whad to you think that healthy choice pizza is? I have not even looked at the label, but I can bet you it is nothing but simple white death flour, and alot of it.

low reps for size, and high reps for tone is myth that has been debunked by many exercise scientist. alot is unknown, but please be careful with such statements.

also, you lost a ton of weight using prescription drugs, all diet advise from you should be taken with a grain of salt.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:25 PM

Uh, that's not me. I eat processed carbs.

Also, I have made pretty well-known statements in this thread by most.

As for losing weight with prescription drugs, yeah, I did. So what? I can tell you first-hand whether or not it's a good idea. Saying that what I have to say should be taken with a grain of salt is a backhand to my intelligence and wisdom on the subject only backed up by the fact that I've used prescription drugs to lose weight and ignoring the fact that I know a ton about athletic fitness and dietary needs.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:34 PM

Veg protein have incomplete amino acid profiles and low bioavailability.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:36 PM

What was your motivation to take the drugs?
Old 02-23-2007, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Uh, that's not me. I eat processed carbs.

Also, I have made pretty well-known statements in this thread by most.

As for losing weight with prescription drugs, yeah, I did. So what? I can tell you first-hand whether or not it's a good idea. Saying that what I have to say should be taken with a grain of salt is a backhand to my intelligence and wisdom on the subject only backed up by the fact that I've used prescription drugs to lose weight and ignoring the fact that I know a ton about athletic fitness and dietary needs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't want to insult your intelligence. It's just that your whole diet regimen was aided by drugs. So therefore you are very much qualified to tell people how to lose weight with the assistance of drugs. But, I would be hesitant to take your advice on how to lose weight drug free.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's just that your whole diet regimen was aided by drugs.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was. It's not now.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What was your motivation to take the drugs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Better living through chemistry, I guess.

Supplements still help a lot, and if pokerraja is calling ZMA, CLA, and protein powder "drugs," then he's got a lot to learn about health and fitness in general.