Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2007, 01:48 PM

Default ddollevoet\'s Lose Weight/Get Fit Log

Background:

Male. 36 years old. 5' 9.5" 220.5 lbs. 32% body fat.

Last summer, I reached my heaviest weight of 238 lbs. I felt like crap most of the time and rarely had the energy to play with my kids. I had finally decided that enough was enough. I started a diet/exercise regimen that resulted in a loss of 25 pounds in about 12 weeks. My good habits faded as the holidays came and went and now I've put 8 pounds back on. I've started this thread to help get me back on track and to keep me accountable.

Goal:

I don't have a weight goal so much as I know I need to get my body fat percentage down. I'd like to get my body fat % down to 15%. I guess that would put my weight around 175-180 lbs. Once I get to 15%, I can reassess and go from there. 24 weeks should be plenty of time for me to accomplish these goals if I can consistently stick to my plan.

Methodology:

Eat at least 4 meals a day consisting of more protein and less carbs and fat. I'd like to get to 6 meals a day, but have had difficulty sticking to that many meals. Drink lots of water. I drink too much damned Coca-cola now. That needs to stop. I will supplement 1-2 meals a day with a protein shake and will also take a good multi-vitamin.

Lift weights 3 days a week and do cardio 3 days a week. I plan to do the WBB1 workouts. I don't really have a desire to be a hardcore body builder, but I would like to transform my physique. In the past, I've done the treadmill or exercise bike for my cardio. I will be trying the tabata (running) method this time. Hopefully, I won't have a heart attack (only half-joking).

When I lost my weight in the fall, I rewarded myself with a new mountain bike. I plan to ride frequently and in addition to the workouts posted above.

Sundays are my days to rest and cheat a little on my meals.

I haven't decided if I am going to post my fat-ass pictures yet. I am going to get them taken this weekend. I'd like a pictorial progression, so I will take pics every 4 weeks or so regardless of whether or not I post them.

Progress:

3/16/07 - 220.5 lbs. 32% body fat - Start date.
4/13/07
5/11/07
6/8/07
7/6/07
8/3/07
8/31/07
Old 03-19-2007, 09:39 AM

Default Re: ddollevoet\'s Lose Weight/Get Fit Log

Week 1, Day 1

I went to bed early last night, so I didn't have much problem getting up at 5:30 this morning to work out. Atlanta traffic was decent at 6:00 AM.

Today, I did workout #1 of the WBB1 routine listed in the OP. It consisted of barbell bench presses, incline dumbbell presses, dips (assisted), chin-ups (assisted), deadlifts, barbell rows and shrugs.

I had a little "extra" time after I lifted, so I tried the tabata cardio today. Today is my first day working out and I didn't want to over do it, so I rode the exercise bike rather than running the intervals. I still felt like I was going to puke about 3 minutes into the 4 minute workout. The exercise bike was doable after lifting though, so I plan to make it part of my regular Monday and Friday workouts. I don't work my legs on Mondays and Fridays.

Today's diet:

Breakfast: 1 cup eggbeaters, 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1 cup orange juice.
Lunch: 1 chicken breast, 1 potato, broccoli and cauliflower medely.
Afternoon snack: Lean Body shake, 1 orange.
Dinner: Chicken Pot Pie

I've just been informed that we are going out for lunch today. If so, I'll have a chicken salad for lunch and eat my lunch tomorrow.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:12 AM

Default Re: ddollevoet\'s Lose Weight/Get Fit Log

Week 1 Day 2

Cardio day. It was 53 degrees when I got up this morning, so I grabbed the mountain bike and hit the trails before work. I am fortunate to have a trail system between my house and my work. I biked for about 45 minutes and probably went about 4-5 miles. I saw 4-5 deer too. I'll have to start bring my camera to the trail.

Today's Diet:

Breakfast: 1 cup eggbeaters, 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1 cup orange juice.
Lunch: Spicy chicken salad.
Afternoon snack: Lean Body shake, 1 orange.
Dinner: A reasonable portion of whatever my wife makes.

Also: Multi-vitamin, Creatine, L-Glutamine, Fish Oil.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:31 AM

Default Warning!! Pics included.

Week 1 Day 3

I lifted legs today: squats, hack squats, leg curls, stiff-legged deadlifts, standing calve raises and crunches.

My diet is pretty much the same as Monday's:

Breafast: 1 cup Eggbeaters, 1/2 cup oatmeal and 1 glass of OJ.
Lunch: 1 chicken breast, 1 potato, broccoli and cauliflower.
Afternoon snack: Lean Body shake, apple
Dinner: A dish my wife makes with chicken, brown rice, spinach and tomatos.

I've been doing OK on the diet so far. Usually I fall off the wagon on Wednesday or Thursday, but so far so good.

I still haven't taken current pictures. I did take some on New Year's Day before my last failed attempt to get my diet on track. I weigh 220.5 lbs in this picture, which coincidentally is the same amount I weighed on Monday. It isn't the best picture, but it'll give you and idea of where I am at.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:08 AM

Default Yay me!

Week 1 Day 4

Yay me! I made through Day 3. Historically, day 3 is the day where I go off my diet and binge. It feels like some type of carbohydrate withdrawal or something. Not this time. I woke up today feeling good. I'm sore from my leg workout, but I'm good.

I apologize for the ramblings above. I know no one cares what I do every day, but writing the above really helped me stick to my plan.

I'll likely only update this weekly from this point forward. I'll weigh in every Friday and post the results here.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:15 AM

Default Week 1 Results

3/16/07 - 220.5 lbs. 32% body fat - Start date.
3/23/07 - 217.5 lbs. 31% body fat