Favorite Links
Feedback
Advertising Information
Home
Posting Hints
Privacy Notice
Forum Archives

The 2+2 Forums

Before using this Forum, please refer to the Terms and Conditions (Last modified: 2/26/2006)

Be sure to read the   Two Plus Two Internet Magazine

This is an archive. The main forums are here

These forums are read only.

UBB.threads™ Groupee, Inc.

PL/NL Texas Hold'em >> Full Ring

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)
Mr_Donktastic
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 03/22/06
Loc: hu4rollz.com
The Well: Mr_Donktastic
      #9243230 - 02/19/07 03:29 PM

Quote:

A stranger is being shown around a village that he has just become part of. He is shown a well and his guide says "On any day except Tuesday, you can shout any question down that well and you'll be told the answer" .

The man seems pretty impressed, and so he shouts down: Why not on Tuesday? and the voice from in the well shouts back: Because on Tuesday, itís your day in the well.

Alright, fire away.

I'll put together a general info post in a minute - I think I have some of my 'story' written out already somewhere...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
1p0kerboy
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 11/14/03
Loc: 492k
Re: The Well: Mr_Donktastic [Re: Mr_Donktastic]
      #9243248 - 02/19/07 03:30 PM

How did you get into poker?

whodatdare
enthusiast

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: uNL
      #9243403 - 02/19/07 03:43 PM

Thanks for doing this? What level are you playing now? What are some of the most important concepts/things you learned as you ascended?

Mr_Donktastic
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: The Well: Mr_Donktastic [Re: 1p0kerboy]
      #9243437 - 02/19/07 03:45 PM

My poker story started with the poker boom, watching WPT, and playing with the family and friends...same for a lot of you I'd guess.

I went to University of Rhode Island, graduated in 2002, and to this day I'm not sure if it was good or bad that I didn't discover poker until after I graduated, especially since Foxwoods was 30 min away. I think its probably a good thing, becuase I was able to focus on school, girls, partying, and my band. OTOH I could be rich right now...but w/e.

Anyway poker for me started with home games. The home games started with play money, turned into $10 BI, $20 BI, $50 BI, $100 BI, $300 BI, etc etc. Pretty much from the very beginning I had a knack for the game, and started to make some good money.

The last few years since we started playing higher I've made a TON of money from these games. I wish I kept track. What I do know is that there would be stretches of months and months were I'd never have to go to the ATM because I always had a ton of cash on me - and I spent it pretty liberally on my gf, food, drinks, weed, concerts, etc.

At the same time as the homegames started, I began to dabble on Party. I started out as a donator, depositing $50 here, $100 there - just playing $5/$10 tourneys and $25 NL/$50 NL. Eventually I started to win and was back to even at one point. Then I went on a rush and had about $1000 online - alot of it from 1/2 Limit O8B if you can believe that.

I cashed it out and bought the laptop I'm using now. Then I won the mini-step for $2000, which was HUGE at that time. I cashed out $1300 and bought a new king sized bed. I thought buying things with poker money was the coolest thing ever!

I ended up losing the rest of that bankroll. I remember I decided to sit at NL $400 one day (with like $800 BR..ha!), got it all in on the turn with top 2, which I KNEW was good, vs some guys FD. Needless to say I lost!

From there I didn't play much online. Was real busy at work and the home games were good. I would play from time to time when I was bored but thats about it.

Then earlier last year I discovered 2+2 and realized some of the things I've been doing wrong, namely BR management and not using PT or a HUD, and not having RB. And I saw how much money people were making and decided that if they could do it, I could do it. I mean, to be honest, some of these people pulling in big money didn't really even seem that bright!

So in May I deposited $300 on to UB and started at NL $25. I couldn't play much cuz of work but I got it up to about $1500 really quickly and started playing NL $100.

I struggled for awhile and didn't make any headway against the FR nits at UB. So I decided to make a big change and try limit poker for pretty much the first time in my life. I read a book and started at 2/4. I think this was the best decision I ever made in my poker 'career'. Not only was I able to build my roll up to about $3000, but learning limit poker made my NL game MUCH better. It was like a light went off in my head.

When I made the switch back to NL around October ago I started killing it, and now I'm not looking back.

I didn't play much at all in December or January becuase I just moved to the Caribbean w/ my gf.

February has been good so far thanks to some donkaments - up close to $8k on the month for a total BR of about $15k after a big cashout in Dec to help pay for the move.

I hope to play alot of 2/4 in the coming months and eventually work my way up to 5/10. OTOH I also want to work on donkaments, HU sngs, and Omaha cash games. I think it is important to know the other games and formats because it WILL help you become a better overall poker player.

As an aside, I should say that I believe in living simply - I hate excess and extravengence, material wealth, and pretty much anything balla. I see these next 2 years of poker as an opporunity to get some money in the bank so that I can live comfortably while working for my passion, which is environmental protection and specifically wildlife conservation. As you can imagine these jobs don't pay well, my last one was just over $30k/yr, but it is very rewarding work.

Etric
old hand

Reged: 11/26/04
      #9243493 - 02/19/07 03:48 PM

Please explain the finer points of playing NL 400 4 handed.

Mr_Donktastic
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: The Well: Mr_Donktastic [Re: whodatdare]
      #9243688 - 02/19/07 04:02 PM

Quote:

Thanks for doing this? What level are you playing now? What are some of the most important concepts/things you learned as you ascended?

I'm just starting NL400 now with about 35 BIs.

Honestly the most important things I've learned while moving up are not poker strategy at all. Of course poker strategy is critically important. Things like how to use position, how to manage pot size, induce bluffs, make effective bluffs, play to a villians hand range, play to a villians tendencies, etc... You have to have a firm grasp of these concepts if you want to do well.

However, all good players know this stuff to some degree or another. Especially in these rocky post-US legislation times there are alot of knowledgeable players out there.

The me the most important things I've learned while moving up is how to control the pyschological and emotional aspects of the game. Things like knowing when you are on tilt are obvious but there are other factors to consider like why you are on tilt in the first place?

There are other things to consider as well...Are you more focused in the morning or at night? What are you trying to prove by sitting at this table of rocks when you could be out looking for a better game? How is that fight you had with your gf going to effect your session? Why do you need to try to get back to even RIGHT NOW after a few suckouts? etc etc.

The bottom line is that if you take 2 players of equal skill level the one who can control his emotions better is going to win in the long run.

Mr_Donktastic
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: The Well: Mr_Donktastic [Re: Etric]
      #9243725 - 02/19/07 04:05 PM

Quote:

Please explain the finer points of playing NL 400 4 handed.

Wait for QQ and 3bet the guy who is willing to go all in with 78o, and pray that the SB didn't wake up with AA.

And if daladiesman is at the table just wait for him to bluff off all of his chips on a stupid turn minraise - you shouldn't have to wait long.

Etric
old hand

Reged: 11/26/04
      #9243750 - 02/19/07 04:06 PM

Explain the **

1p0kerboy
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 11/14/03
Loc: 492k
      #9243787 - 02/19/07 04:09 PM

Quote:

Explain the **

Mr_Donktastic
Carpal \'Tunnel

#9243819 - 02/19/07 04:11 PM

Quote:

Explain the **

Some overzealous mod gave them to me. There was a thread like "what if your gf told you she was in a gangbang" or something like that. My reply was that I would bitchslap her and throw her to the curb. Apparently in OOT this is worthy of 2 stars, even though there is WAY worse than that in there on a daily basis.

So yeah, as they say, F*CK OOT.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Berge20, nation, diebitter, Matt Flynn, Sunny Mehta, Cry Me A River, Mike Haven 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2353

Rate this topic

Jump to

contact us 2+2 Publishing