Favorite Links
Feedback
Advertising Information
Home
Posting Hints
Privacy Notice
Forum Archives

The 2+2 Forums

Before using this Forum, please refer to the Terms and Conditions (Last modified: 2/26/2006)

Be sure to read the   Two Plus Two Internet Magazine

This is an archive. The main forums are here

These forums are read only.

UBB.threads™ Groupee, Inc.

PL/NL Texas Hold'em >> High Stakes

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)
samoleus
old hand

Reged: 02/13/06
32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had!
      #5582896 - 04/25/06 11:16 PM

I contemplated not sending this hand for fear that it will give away too much. But what the heck. This hand was from a couple of months ago. The stage is set for some high drama. Bld and I both have enormous stacks in the 2K 6-max game. Bld has just under 16K and I have 23K. We are across the table from each other and while we are sort of running over the table, we are fighting each other hard for the table captaincy.

Some background for those of you that are not familiar with Bld's game. He is in my opinion my toughest opponent on Party and by a pretty wide margin at that. Exceptional hand reader, courageous bluffer, can make huge calls with thin holdings and can also lay down huge hands (important fact when considering this hand). He plays almost (but not quite) as LAG as I do. So we've gone to battle quite a few times with quirky hands flopping pairs and gutshots vs goofy two pairs and stuff. While we have played huge pots against each other a number of times in the past(often with marginal holdings, draws, and bluffs), we have not tangled in a huge pot in this session yet.

UTG (about 2K to start the hand) limps. BLd limps in second position. It folds to me in the cutoff, and I raise to 65 with 8 6 . Blinds fold and limpers call.

Flop is 7 5 2 . UTG bets only 60 into a pot of about 225. Bld calls the 60. I raise to 190. UTG folds. Bld raises to 600. I lick my chops. I am hoping he has the set he is representing (certainly the cold call, followed by a reraise of the preflop raiser is a really powerful move). Bld is capable of making that move with a pair plus draw type hand; however, the fact that the flop was a rainbow is a HUGE consideration. That rules out a lot of pair+flush draw hands. Now I imagine he might have a hand like 7-6 or something, but a set is definitely more likely here. I actually hope he has a set, because if I hit my hand, it will be totally disguised. I am dreaming of my soon-to-be 39K stack when my straight hits. I call.

Turn is J . Bld fires 1350 into the pot of about 1500. Man, he sure is not letting me draw for cheap. Of course, this would normally be a routine fold. But the implied odds are huge. He must have a set here. Pair+gutshot is looking less and less likely. Again I reiterate that there was no flush draw on the flop. It must be a set. I call.

I can FEEL the 9 or the 4 coming on the river. There it is .... NO - it the A . Damn. All I have is 8 high. There is 4200 in the pot. BLD bets 3800.

I check my poker hands rankings card to make sure that a set beats 8 high. It does. Sadly, I move my hand to fold. ... But then it just hits me! What did I play my hand like I am holding? ... Before I answer, consider of course, that Bld still has about 9.5K behind after his river bet. Well, I raised two limpers preflop. There was a bet and a call on the flop - and I raised that! Then I called a third reraise. I followed that with a $1350 call on the turn. ... Why, I must have AA or JJ!! I check my poker hand rankings card again, and it says that AAA and JJJ both beat 777, 555, and 222.

The stack size is PERFECT. The opponent is perfect. As strong as he is, I believe Bld can absolutely fold a set if he thinks he is beaten here (one of a very very few players that I'd try that against - especially with such an aggressive player as myself).

My clock ticks down. I time out on my other tables. I think about whether or not I should pull the trigger on this one. Cojones is not the issue: if I feel it is plus EV, I will make the move. I think about showing this hand after he folds and try to envision the folk songs that will be written about me and this hand. I think about how I will come across on ESPN's "The Best Hand I Ever Played"

Tick, tick, tick, 5, 4, 3, ... you guys pull the trigger or not?

P.S.: Bld, do you remember this hand? Don't say anything until we get some responses if you do. But I am curious if you remember it. It must be about 6 weeks old.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
snagglepuss
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 01/24/06
Loc: this space for gambool
Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: samoleus]
      #5582962 - 04/25/06 11:21 PM

Jason Strasser (strassa2)
can have ANYTHING

Reged: 11/20/03
Loc: durham
Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: samoleus]
      #5582977 - 04/25/06 11:22 PM

if im bld, JJJ is incredibly unlikely for u... and so is the fact that you'd time that low with aaa

whitelime
go wake me up

Reged: 11/09/04
Loc: NYU
      #5582994 - 04/25/06 11:23 PM

Aren't you more likely to have 34 here than AA?

NLSoldier
something about how awesome i run NOT

Reged: 02/18/04
      #5583008 - 04/25/06 11:25 PM

sam,

I love your posts. I hope you pulled the trigger!

samoleus
old hand

Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: Jason Strasser (strassa2)]
      #5583014 - 04/25/06 11:25 PM

strassa, that (the amount of time that I took to decide) was a HUGE factor tilting my decision towards a fold. I haven't said that I folded, but I can say that if I had made my decision within 10-15 seconds, I move all-in for sure. The time I took evened out the decision for me.

Can you expand on why JJJ is so unlikely? He would not expect me to be so loose on the flop?

Requin
Gone till November

Reged: 08/27/05
Loc: Back online
Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: whitelime]
      #5583028 - 04/25/06 11:26 PM

Quote:

Aren't you more likely to have 34 here than AA?

I was wondering the same thing.

Jeff W
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 05/31/04
      #5583051 - 04/25/06 11:28 PM

Once you take all that time to act, I'd fold it. If you had a strong hand you probably would have acted sooner, right? Also, I think 43s or AA makes more sense for you than JJ here.

samoleus
old hand

Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: Requin]
      #5583052 - 04/25/06 11:28 PM

Hehe you guys are hitting on another point that I kind of intentionally neglected to mention. What about HIM having 3-4?

citanul
SNG Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/24/03
Loc: taking your lunch money
      #5583059 - 04/25/06 11:29 PM

This hand is very interesting I think but I am confused as to how one can have a pair and a gutshot on a 752 board.

citanul

NLSoldier

Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: Requin]
      #5583076 - 04/25/06 11:30 PM

sam,

If villian has a set, and you think your hand looks just like AA, is there any chance he would not make such a big bet on the river?

This actually has me thinking about the possibility that HE is bluffing with 86 or 64...

samoleus
old hand

Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: citanul]
      #5583096 - 04/25/06 11:31 PM

Haha good catch citanul. In actuality, I really did not consider much other than a set for him. And it didn't matter that much becase my 8 high doesn't have any showdown value no matter what he has.

samoleus
old hand

Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: NLSoldier]
      #5583108 - 04/25/06 11:32 PM

I don't think he would really put me on AAA until and unless I pull the trigger. Too many other hands I can have (two pair, straight draw, KK, etc)

Requin
Gone till November

Reged: 08/27/05
Loc: Back online
      #5583132 - 04/25/06 11:34 PM

Sam, do you think Bld would bet this river with 22 or 55?

NLSoldier

#5583138 - 04/25/06 11:35 PM

Quote:

I don't think he would really put me on AAA until and unless I pull the trigger. Too many other hands I can have (two pair, straight draw, KK, etc)

even for someone as LAG as you, its pretty hard to make 2 pair on that board. As far as KK, seems like he would bet a little less on the river if he was trying to entice a call. I guess he can have you on 22 or 55 though if he has 77.

samoleus
old hand

#5583142 - 04/25/06 11:35 PM

absolutely. Bld is not the type to leave value on the table. He could fold that to a raise though if he can be convinced that I have 77, JJ, AA, or 3-4.

can have ANYTHING

#5583199 - 04/25/06 11:38 PM

he would expect u to raise turn a huge amt of the time with jj and these stacks.

samoleus
old hand

Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: Jason Strasser (strassa2)]
      #5583248 - 04/25/06 11:41 PM

A very good point Jason. The stack sizes were deep enough there (and two to a backdoor flush in addition to the straight draw had arrived). I will often slowplay JJJ on the turn in a situation like this, but the stacks were too deep for that here.

samoleus
old hand

Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: NLSoldier]
      #5583275 - 04/25/06 11:42 PM

well I had 8-6. Could I not have 7-5?

And I don't think Bld's style is to make smaller milking bets. He keeps his bet sizes pretty standard which make them harder to read.

I do the same thing. You will hardly ever see me bet less than 2/3 of the pot or more than 4/5 (usually 3/4) no matter what I am betting.

samoleus
old hand

#5583355 - 04/25/06 11:48 PM

Strassa, if you hold 77 in Bld's spot and I push, do you make the call? What if you have 22? (you can answer in both cases: a quick push and using my whole time bank).

can have ANYTHING

#5583366 - 04/25/06 11:49 PM

in your general thought process, you are disregarding the option that bld has nothing here. when you are talking about implied odds and stuff, especially.

Jeff W
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 05/31/04
      #5583405 - 04/25/06 11:51 PM

Quote:

Hehe you guys are hitting on another point that I kind of intentionally neglected to mention. What about HIM having 3-4?

Isn't he more likely to have a set than 43s(or 64s, 86s)? He's very aggro so I'd expect he's more likely to raise those and overlimp the small pairs.

samoleus
old hand

#5583412 - 04/25/06 11:52 PM

While that is a salient point, I was convinced by the turn that he had a real hand. I was about 70% sure that he had a set. Would you not be more or less convinced of that by his play to that point?

samoleus
old hand

Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: Jeff W]
      #5583437 - 04/25/06 11:54 PM

Hmm I don't know about that Jeff. I think Bld is MORE likely to raise a pair against a limper and limp with 3-4 or 86.

samoleus
old hand

#5583459 - 04/25/06 11:56 PM

pull the trigger or not?
You may choose only one
Yes
No

Votes accepted from (04/25/06 11:55 PM) to (No end specified)
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll

Number27
veteran

Reged: 02/26/06
      #5583694 - 04/26/06 12:17 AM

I voted no for the aforemention lack of time. I think you're moving AAA much quicker than you did. (or did not.)

Either way, while I realize that Bld is capable of laying down sets if he thinks they're beat I wonder how often he's going to lay down 55 or 77 in this situation. You're betting $9,000 into an $8,000 pot so wouldn't he have to fold slightly more than one time out of two to make this play profitable?

I don't know if he lays down 77 that often given the action.

radiaL

Reged: 01/24/06
      #5583766 - 04/26/06 12:22 AM

sam,

I must commend you for taking the time and effort that obviously goes into making your posts. I hope you know that the insight that you so selflessly give out does not go unappreciated. Thanks for making these forums a better place.

-radiaL

samoleus
old hand

Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: radiaL]
      #5583864 - 04/26/06 12:29 AM

appreciate that radial!

KRANTZ
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 09/19/05
Loc: the 1980s
      #5583907 - 04/26/06 12:33 AM

what is bld's limping range? does he even have a limping range? is he capable of playing JJ or AA like this? something smells weird with his turn AND river bets - what does he expect you to call with?

i think bld is an opponent very capable of limping to rep a low pocket pair and playing a flop like this EXACTLY like he has a set. that, combined with the strange turn/river aggression makes me feel like this should be a push, without the timing tell

this is such a crazy hand

Allinlife
Sushi Lover

Reged: 09/23/04
Loc: Folder's club member
      #5583934 - 04/26/06 12:35 AM

I say pull the trigger for % of telling a SICK hand story.

however, I just can't justify trying to represent overset to bluff out what appears as an underset. I just never met anyone who folds them.

samoleus
old hand

Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: Allinlife]
      #5583962 - 04/26/06 12:37 AM

Like I said, there are very few players that I would try this again. However, Bld is one who CAN fold an underset IF he thinks he is beaten.

The problems are:

(1) will he be convinced that a set is no good if I push

(2) might he have 3-4?

yvesaint
banned

Reged: 05/23/05
      #5584000 - 04/26/06 12:40 AM

i think

1. the fact that you took so long on the river. maybe you do w/AA cause of the possible straight, but who knows.

2. possibility of 34

3. he is still getting like 2:1 odds....

make this a no go

aejones

Reged: 09/20/05
Loc: freestyling at final tables
      #5584151 - 04/26/06 12:54 AM

Deep Stack poker = great.

I push: that's just an unbelievable play and read, but given that deep of stacks, I honestly can't imagine him calling with 555 or 222; I highly doubt he has 34, if he does, and he made that huge turn bet with it, tip your hat to him. I think he might call with 777, but seriously- why would you want to play a pot this big unless you had the goods?

Yes, it looks like you have AAA or 34, and maybe even JJJ. Honestly, I think on that river push, you have the straight, three jacks, or three aces about 80ish% of the time.

Air the other 20ish%, he almost certainly can't beat anything you can value bet, only air.

diddle
addict

Reged: 01/31/05
      #5584557 - 04/26/06 01:31 AM

I pull the trigger so I can post this and find out if I made Bld a set.

KaneKungFu123
banned forever

Reged: 02/21/05
Loc: Eating Dead Animal
Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: aejones]
      #5584604 - 04/26/06 01:36 AM

how do you play AA on the turn?

what hands does he normally limp call with? Stacks are very deep, have you considered that he could have AA?

How often does he have nothing?

What hand does he expect you to call with on the river?

I lean towards folding.

Apathy
2006 and 2007 HSNL Heads-up Champion

Reged: 03/03/04
Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: KaneKungFu123]
      #5584682 - 04/26/06 01:42 AM

You think he would over limp and then call to close the action in a three way pot with AA. I don't buy it KKF.

I would be pretty worried about 34 from bld, or him not folding a smaller set especially with the time you took.

LB_001

Reged: 10/16/05
      #5584997 - 04/26/06 02:15 AM

I'd call and hope he shows 64, then it'd really be the best hand ever, if not oh well its just 3 buyins right?

DOTTT
100k or Bust

Reged: 09/24/03
Loc: BKLYN
      #5585174 - 04/26/06 02:32 AM

Nice post Sam.

You say you guys have logged a lot of hours togather, so he knows how you play your big pairs pretty well. Do you never fold AA to him on the turn? I think he's gonna have a hard time putting you on AA here.

amoeba
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 09/05/04
      #5585263 - 04/26/06 02:41 AM

why would he bet the river for 3800?

he doesn't expect you to call with kk, QQ does he?

and certainly you aren't calling his flop bet raise with overcards right?

obvvvv
journeyman

Reged: 03/09/06
      #5585288 - 04/26/06 02:43 AM

Was $65 a standard bet for you here? When you bet $65 pre and had your hand shown down what was the strength of the hand in previous hands that Bld might have seen. Thing is this, AAA is out of the question because of how long you took. I think he can put you on JJJ here but what percent of the time will he do so and how often does he fold a set? If he flopped a set he played it extremely quickly. Wouldn't be surprised if he had air here.

amoeba
Carpal \'Tunnel

#5585300 - 04/26/06 02:44 AM

hey sam,

I know you put him on set on turn, so what do you think about push overbetting the turn?

yvesaint
banned

Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: obvvvv]
      #5585320 - 04/26/06 02:47 AM

Quote:

Was $65 a standard bet for you here? When you bet $65 pre and had your hand shown down what was the strength of the hand in previous hands that Bld might have seen. Thing is this, AAA is out of the question because of how long you took. I think he can put you on JJJ here but what percent of the time will he do so and how often does he fold a set? If he flopped a set he played it extremely quickly. Wouldn't be surprised if he had air here.

65 is pretty standard for sam pf here

luckychewy
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 03/10/06
Loc: misplaying kings
Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: amoeba]
      #5585343 - 04/26/06 02:49 AM

Quote:

hey sam,

I know you put him on set on turn, so what do you think about push overbetting the turn?

I think he'd be more inclined to call since a combo draw is more likely than a set. As played I think it's gonna be hard to sell AA/34 and especially JJ here. I like folding, but if you shove the FE you have coupled with the fact he actually doesn't have anything are pretty good because I think his flop 3-bet is sketchy and DOESN'T represent a set. Still, I would fold.

obvvvv
journeyman

Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: yvesaint]
      #5585350 - 04/26/06 02:49 AM

Ok ty...the possibility of him having nothing here makes the EV of this move greater. Putting that into consideration I actually like a push.

LegallyBlind
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/11/06
Loc: gas-brake dippin
Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: obvvvv]
      #5585452 - 04/26/06 03:02 AM

Im pretty suprised that so many people think Bld's decision to make a 5 buy in river call will be decided by the amount of time it takes Sam to act. If so many of you feel that running down your timer is going be the difference in your opponent calling or folding, I hope your running it down evertime your begging for a call on the river.

Subfallen
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 09/09/04
Loc: Worshipping idols in B&W.
Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: LegallyBlind]
      #5585512 - 04/26/06 03:11 AM

Quote:

Im pretty suprised that so many people think Bld's decision to make a 5 buy in river call will be decided by the amount of time it takes Sam to act. If so many of you feel that running down your timer is going be the difference in your opponent calling or folding, I hope your running it down evertime your begging for a call on the river.

Yes, I hardly dare say, for fear it's completely stupid---but isn't Bld just as likely to take the long pause as a reverse tell as a true one?

KRANTZ
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 09/19/05
Loc: the 1980s
Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: Subfallen]
      #5585543 - 04/26/06 03:15 AM

his flop call/3-bet do represent a set, but combined with his turn/river action (what does he realistically expect you to call with if he's betting so hard?) do not

cardsharkk04
NIT

Reged: 03/28/05
Loc: move up or shut up
Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: LegallyBlind]
      #5585573 - 04/26/06 03:20 AM

Quote:

When people have the nuts, or close to it there is just a natural tendency to get it all in the pot relatively quickly. Waiting till the timer goes down implies thinking, which is something you don't have to do much of when you know your hand is good. Just looks fishy.

EmpireMaker2
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 01/10/06
Loc: "Ball till I fking crawl"
      #5585641 - 04/26/06 03:30 AM

The only thing that makes sense is if you had AA.......

You would of raised the turn with JJ, and the flop or turn with the straight.....

I just don't see this bluff working if you know he has a set.

yvesaint
banned

Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: EmpireMaker2]
      #5585660 - 04/26/06 03:33 AM

Quote:

and the flop or turn with the straight.....

um dude no possible straight on flop/turn

MDMA
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 08/20/05
Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: EmpireMaker2]
      #5585676 - 04/26/06 03:36 AM

I agree with strasser that you could almost never try to represent JJ here due to turn action. I'm also wondering whether bld would really believe that you could AA here. He surely is aware of what line he has taken and what he represents; would he really believe you would call AA that often on turn, setting yourself up for a 4k call on river that pretty much only beats air (68,46)? As played, AA isn't that much stronger than any other one pair hand since, as already stated, you only beat a bluff basicxally. I think you have to take that into consideration at least, although I may be wrong. I find it unlikely he would believe you to call turn just so you could do, in this situation, a heroic call on the river w/ AA. I think your best chance would have been to represent 34 here, but as you took too much time to be believable, I think you should fold.

Edited by MDMA (04/26/06 03:47 AM)

PokerJokerAA
addict

Reged: 03/11/06
Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: MDMA]
      #5585743 - 04/26/06 03:45 AM

I just call here and watch the chips slide to me as he flips over 4-6.

Lyric
old hand

Reged: 02/19/06
Loc: Iowa
      #5585926 - 04/26/06 04:10 AM

Bld has a set or 34. Combined with the possibility that he may call with 77 or 55 here, pulling the trigger seems a bad plan. It also seems that you played your hand like AA, 77, 55, 22, 68, 46.

Bld is smart enough to put you on that range and will probably call with anything that beats it, however, you're probably raising a set on the flop or turn, including JJ, so that only leaves 68, 46, and AA.

The question is -- do you ever really play AA this way?

HotPants
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/11/05
Loc: DZ-015
      #5586290 - 04/26/06 05:16 AM

Quote:

I actually hope he has a set, because if I hit my hand, it will be totally disguised.

Since you raised preflop there's no way you can have 86? Is that what you thought he thunk?

If I had to guess, I would say build would have you on 86/64/34/22/55/AA/77. If I'm right, and build realizes you can play an OESD like this on the flop and turn, then I reckon it just comes down to a frequency thing, balancing your AA/34 with your air

Jay.
aka 1800GAMBLER

Reged: 05/12/03
Loc: Leeds, uk
      #5586346 - 04/26/06 05:36 AM

I lean towards push, the timing down sucks but still possible, his river bet size is strange, feels like 68, also possible are 46, 89 43. i don't believe 77 or 55 all that much either. Never played against him but does he usually limp behind with 77/55? 77 i doubt, and then the strange sized river bet. All this is going in your favour. He could have nothing which he def folds and he could be big which he may fold.

Also, once you push and say he has 22, i doubt he would be expecting a move, your range is wide but the majority of your range are decent holdings, which he may think you may not bluff with here, kk for example. Plus, he may not expect a 12k move out of you with 68 that you may or may not have raised preflop.

This range feels mostly like 68 46 vs 34 which would make this +EV. Add in 22 AND he calls and it's still +EV.

The turn would have been the better spot to push him off the hands. Problem is you were too busy jerkin' over possibly making a straight.

Dan Bitel
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 05/26/05
Loc: Bork! Bork! Bork!
Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: Jay.]
      #5586579 - 04/26/06 06:49 AM

Just a quick question, does bld's flop call/raise actually show as much strength as every1 is saying? I've not seen you play before Sam (I play MUCH lower), but from what I read, after raising preflop, aren't you very likely to raise the flop here with a very wide range of hands, especially as UTG's lead was so weak. So could bld not be making a kind of squeeze type play on the flop?

Nielsio
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 08/14/05
      #5586864 - 04/26/06 08:08 AM

You've got 1 buy-in invested. No way you should gamle 7 buyins more on a hand where both your holdings can be pretty wide.

For one thing it's pretty hard to represent some exact hands. And another thing: his turn bet could be a semi-bluff with 34 .

Prevaricator
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/13/04
Loc: Amherst, MA
Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: Nielsio]
      #5586941 - 04/26/06 08:26 AM

Quote:

You've got 1 buy-in invested.

wtf does it matter how much he has put in. the pot is big, so can a push win it enough of the time to be +EV is how you should be thinking.

Nielsio
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 08/14/05
Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: Prevaricator]
      #5587116 - 04/26/06 09:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

You've got 1 buy-in invested.

wtf does it matter how much he has put in. the pot is big, so can a push win it enough of the time to be +EV is how you should be thinking.

I know this ofcourse, but I meant to say that this might not be a very good spot for the move and that he can get away relatively cheap.

durrrr
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/13/05
Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: Prevaricator]
      #5587453 - 04/26/06 09:55 AM

I dunno if i like this. Its the kind of spot where i'd wish i could freeze time and think about if for a few hours then decide what to do. Instead you have 60seconds. I'll shove here a lot- but bld isnt the best opponent to do it against. Imo a shove is probably slightly -EV in this particular hand... but still a good play...

samoleus
old hand

Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: LB_001]
      #5587553 - 04/26/06 10:06 AM

actually it would be eight buyins

Firebirdflush
stranger

Reged: 12/08/03
Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: durrrr]
      #5587587 - 04/26/06 10:09 AM

well dont keep us in suspense, what happened? timeout?

samoleus
old hand

#5587615 - 04/26/06 10:12 AM

exactly - the only issue is whether or not the push is plus EV. The number of buyins/amount of money invested is purely immaterial. You should stop thinking this way if you want to be a good player.

samoleus
old hand

Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: amoeba]
      #5587643 - 04/26/06 10:14 AM

stacks are much too deep to push the turn. It would be a bet of 13K into a pot of 4.2K. And I would not want to raise less and get reraise/pushed while I still have a live draw.

samoleus
old hand

Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: Jay.]
      #5587663 - 04/26/06 10:16 AM

"The turn would have been the better spot to push him off the hands. Problem is you were too busy jerkin' over possibly making a straight. "

Very wrong in my opinion. Stacks are too deep for me to push. If I raise and he reraises, I love my draw. Raising the turn would be a big mistake.

samoleus
old hand

Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: Dan Bitel]
      #5587671 - 04/26/06 10:17 AM

a very good point dbitel. however, I don't think he follows up on the turn and river so hard very often on air.

samoleus
old hand

#5587678 - 04/26/06 10:17 AM

by the river, there is very little chance that Bld has nothing. There is a possibility though but small enough to be more or less neglected.

samoleus
old hand

Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: cardsharkk04]
      #5587688 - 04/26/06 10:18 AM

I will not act instantly with a huge hand, but I also won't let it run down to 2 seconds.

samoleus
old hand

Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: Subfallen]
      #5587695 - 04/26/06 10:19 AM

not out of the question (and I did consider that)

samoleus
old hand

Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: KRANTZ]
      #5587702 - 04/26/06 10:19 AM

Bld will bet hard with a hand like a set, knowing that I have made thin calls against him before.

samoleus
old hand

#5587716 - 04/26/06 10:20 AM

if I believed KK or QQ were good, the ace on the river would not have changed my mind. Bld is not the type to pussyfoot with his bet sizes regardless of the strength of his holding.

duh
veteran

Reged: 08/25/05
      #5587729 - 04/26/06 10:21 AM

samoleus
old hand

Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: DOTTT]
      #5587740 - 04/26/06 10:22 AM

I will play AA the same way about 60% of the time, folding the other 40% to his turn bet. If the flop was two-toned (ie more likely he had some kind of draw), I play it that way 90% of the time.

samoleus
old hand

#5587748 - 04/26/06 10:22 AM

There was no possible straight until the river.

samoleus
old hand

Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: Apathy]
      #5587757 - 04/26/06 10:23 AM

exactly - I think he has AA or JJ 0% of the time here.

kotkis
old hand

Reged: 05/15/05
Loc: Espoo, Finland
      #5587799 - 04/26/06 10:28 AM

samoleus,

My guess is that you are using threaded mode to read posts. May I suggest you try flat mode for a while and see if you like that better?

MDMA
Carpal \'Tunnel

#5587859 - 04/26/06 10:34 AM

Given that flop texture is somewhat dry (e.g not two-toned), how often is bld following up with a second barrel but shutting down on river (on most cards), this will greatly effect whether calling turn with AA is a good call. If he will very often fire a 3-rd barrel, are you you comfortable calling with AA 60% of the time on turn given that you're prone to be calling another ~4k on river? Since his range will almost never be another overpair/something he would valuebet river with that is worse than AA, AA isn't much stronger than any other bluffcatcher in this spot, right? I'm of course with you that had the board been two-tone it's a whole 'nother ballgame alltogether.

Problem is of course if that we fold a hand as strong as AA here too often, his turnbet would become too much +ev with any two, which I'm guessing is why you would fold sometime and call sometime. If you do call, and if he's very often firing a 3rd bullet here, I'm guessing you're calling river as well a lot of those times (on most cards).

I could be wrong here, that's why I'm asking. :O

Edited by MDMA (04/26/06 10:42 AM)

Thundercat_

#5587870 - 04/26/06 10:35 AM

since you took so long my guess is that when you push bld will get that 'feeling' you dont have it and it would be all over, better take the conservative route

makalish
stranger

Reged: 03/30/06
Loc: Miami, FL
Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: Thundercat_]
      #5588427 - 04/26/06 11:22 AM

Alright samoleus, you've had your fun. Now please tell us how the hand went down.

edge
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 05/29/04
Loc: Toronto, Canada
Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: makalish]
      #5588453 - 04/26/06 11:24 AM

I'm guessing he folded.

GTL

Reged: 11/10/05
Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: edge]
      #5588486 - 04/26/06 11:27 AM

Is this all an elaborate plot to get bld to divulge what he was holding? If so, its a great idea, and well executed.

nh

cantsitstillbr
veteran

Reged: 10/21/04
Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: GTL]
      #5588977 - 04/26/06 12:05 PM

My prediction:

Samoleus limped in second position, BLd raised with 8c6s.

BLd was the one who ended up pushing the river, and Samoleus folded the winning hand of 55. BLd shows his bluff.

Parlay Slow
MSNL's F_V

Reged: 11/03/03
Loc: Proud to be Polish!
Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: cantsitstillbr]
      #5589473 - 04/26/06 12:43 PM

I got goosebumps and shuddered from head to toe

KingNeo
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/26/05
Loc: He Hate Me
Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: Parlay Slow]
      #5590913 - 04/26/06 02:14 PM

Pretty obvious from what was said in this thread that Sam folded the hand.

obvvvv
journeyman

#5591220 - 04/26/06 02:36 PM

With that in mind the question for you is whether or not you think you can lead him into believing you have JJJ by pushing. If you can, you also have to recognize the difficulty facing him laying down a set which he is clearing representing.

obvvvv
journeyman

Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: cardsharkk04]
      #5591261 - 04/26/06 02:38 PM

exactly

obvvvv
journeyman

#5591269 - 04/26/06 02:38 PM

LOL

obvvvv
journeyman

#5591301 - 04/26/06 02:40 PM

Well yeah but how often does he believe you for these two holdings?

ggbman
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 12/12/04
Loc: the anti-baronzeus
Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: cantsitstillbr]
      #5591646 - 04/26/06 03:01 PM

Sam doesnt open limp.

Masquerade
addict

Reged: 09/19/04
      #5591721 - 04/26/06 03:06 PM

Your loose calls are predicated on the assumption that if u do hit the straight you can take all his chips (if he has a set). And yet now you're saying there's a fair chance he will fold a set if you bluff? Slight logical inconsistency here. If he folds here then why he isnt he also folding when you hit the straight? Or does he conveniently call when you have a hand?

MYNAMEIZGREG
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/08/05
Loc: LeggoPoker
      #5591774 - 04/26/06 03:10 PM

If you guys are getting all wrapped up on the timing "tell" here, I think one could make the argument that Sam could be running down the time purposely if he had the nuts. Bld knows Sam won't usually do this with the goods, and Sam knows Bld knows this. Therefore, Sam is doing it purposely, and Bld figures this out and folds because of the timer. So, IMO, it's a moot point. I think both players can think this high.

amoeba
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: Masquerade]
      #5592077 - 04/26/06 03:27 PM

Quote:

Your loose calls are predicated on the assumption that if u do hit the straight you can take all his chips (if he has a set). And yet now you're saying there's a fair chance he will fold a set if you bluff? Slight logical inconsistency here. If he folds here then why he isnt he also folding when you hit the straight? Or does he conveniently call when you have a hand?

because when the straight hits there are less likely oversets?

Scuba Chuck
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 11/22/04
Loc: Minneapolis
      #5593473 - 04/26/06 04:42 PM

Quote:

not out of the question (and I did consider that)

Sam, I too enjoy your posts, for all the reasons given by others.

I also enjoy that you give responses to so many of the queries. If possible, it would be nice if you learned to use the "quote" link (which is right next to the "reply" link) so that I can tell who you are responding to. When using the quote link, it will populate the post like mine above showing what you are responding to. Thanks in advance.

MilkMan
old hand

Reged: 12/25/05
Loc: tippin away
Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: Scuba Chuck]
      #5594925 - 04/26/06 06:02 PM

Sam,
Forgive me if I'm wrong but may I point out one slight inconsistency in your thinking in this hand. You take a relatively expensive draw on the flop and turn because of what you believe are the implied odds **I am dreaming of my soon-to-be 39K stack when my straight hits** in other words you are pretty sure you will stack BLD if a 9 or 4 hits. On the river the A shows up (which does complete a possible straight draw). And now you think he might fold his set? I understand the new possibility of specifically repping AAA, but has BLD's situation really changed so much that you can justify reversing your previously held belief during the hand that hitting the straight meant BLD would go broke here?

edit: doh just noticed masquerade made the same point about ten lines up

Edited by MilkMan (04/26/06 06:04 PM)

luckychewy
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 03/10/06
Loc: misplaying kings
Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: MilkMan]
      #5594962 - 04/26/06 06:04 PM

If he makes the straight he might not shove, so $39K stack is probably a bit off.

samoleus
old hand

Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: Masquerade]
      #5595889 - 04/26/06 07:13 PM

Masquerade, it is not inconsistent at all. The operative point is that it was specifically an ace on the river. I would not dream of bluffing on any other card. I have played this hand very similarly to how I might have played AA.

samoleus
old hand

Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: MilkMan]
      #5595958 - 04/26/06 07:18 PM

Milk Man, this thougth only crossed my mind because an ace hit the river. I have played this hand very similarly (if not identically) to how I might play AA. I would not think of bluffing any other card.

samoleus
old hand

Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: luckychewy]
      #5595967 - 04/26/06 07:19 PM

If I make the straight, BLD leads for 3800 and I do shove (or close to it for the extra 9).

samoleus
old hand

Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: MDMA]
      #5595999 - 04/26/06 07:22 PM

superb post MDMA. I can call the turn with AA and fold to one more river bet, as Bld will give up on a lot of bluffs after I call the turn.

Marnixvdb
old hand

Reged: 09/25/04
Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: luckychewy]
      #5596107 - 04/26/06 07:31 PM

It seems that the biggest disadvantage of running your timer down in this situation, is that it gives Bld extra time to rethink his reaction to a raise.

This weakens the potential of your raise.

samoleus
old hand

#5596359 - 04/26/06 07:48 PM

Guys, sorry for the anticlimax, but I folded the hand. I figured that Bld would fold a set there about 50% of the time (more often 222, less often 777 of course), which makes it close to an even decision. However, there were two factors that tilted my decision towards a fold.

(1) there was a chance (I'd say about 10-15%) that HE had 3-4 himself.

(2) I let my time run all the way down before I made my decision. If I had acted even with 5 seconds left, he might be convinced into thinking that it was me putting on an act with the nuts. But I really waited until literally 1 or 2 seconds left. I thought that was too long.

samoleus
old hand

RESULTS [Re: samoleus]
      #5596371 - 04/26/06 07:50 PM

Results in the previous post. I forgot to adjust the title ...

NLSoldier

Re: RESULTS [Re: samoleus]
      #5596418 - 04/26/06 07:54 PM

Quote:

Results in the previous post. I forgot to adjust the title ...

sam,

try switching to flat mode.

awesome thread.

PartyGirlUK
Confirmed Bot, 100%

Reged: 11/02/04
Re: RESULTS [Re: NLSoldier]
      #5596460 - 04/26/06 07:58 PM

Why would you play AA like this but not, say, KK?

tom441lbk

Reged: 05/08/05
Loc: F2D
Re: RESULTS [Re: PartyGirlUK]
      #5597390 - 04/26/06 09:22 PM

What hands do you call with here?

What hands do you push with here?

mother_brain
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/16/05
      #5597827 - 04/26/06 10:00 PM

Fold Turn, LOL

Nice hand, I have often decided to not bet because I took longer than usual to type in the amount or think about it.

diconoclastsx
enthusiast

Reged: 11/18/04
      #5597986 - 04/26/06 10:17 PM

Quote:

Guys, sorry for the anticlimax, but I folded the hand. I figured that Bld would fold a set there about 50% of the time (more often 222, less often 777 of course), which makes it close to an even decision. However, there were two factors that tilted my decision towards a fold.

(1) there was a chance (I'd say about 10-15%) that HE had 3-4 himself.

(2) I let my time run all the way down before I made my decision. If I had acted even with 5 seconds left, he might be convinced into thinking that it was me putting on an act with the nuts. But I really waited until literally 1 or 2 seconds left. I thought that was too long.

Tease

mak15
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/25/06
Loc: u penn
Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: diconoclastsx]
      #5598051 - 04/26/06 10:26 PM

bld we can get what you had and what you would have done against a push?

or if you can't give that away then one or the other? either what you had or what you would have done had you had 77 and/or 22?

please?

samoleus
old hand

Re: RESULTS [Re: tom441lbk]
      #5599289 - 04/27/06 12:00 AM

hard to say for sure - but I almost certainly push with AA and JJ. I'll double him up if he has 3-4 and I have one of those two hands.

cardsharkk04
NIT

Reged: 03/28/05
Loc: move up or shut up
      #5600215 - 04/27/06 01:27 AM

WE NEED BLD TO TELL US WHAT HE HAD

LegallyBlind
Pooh-Bah

Re: RESULTS [Re: cardsharkk04]
      #5600284 - 04/27/06 01:34 AM

Quote:

WE NEED BLD TO TELL US WHAT HE HAD

not really. we just need BLD to tell us if, on this hand, he would have called a river push with a set.

BLdSWtTRs
Set Miner

Reged: 01/31/06
Loc: Luck Boxing
Re: RESULTS [Re: LegallyBlind]
      #5601904 - 04/27/06 05:52 AM

It would have been a tough decision. Samoleus is capable of any two cards, and is capable of playing them in any fashion. I can't give an honest answer whether i would have folded or called.

fslexcduck
52s go all in

Reged: 01/15/05
Loc: brooklyn
Re: RESULTS [Re: BLdSWtTRs]
      #5602002 - 04/27/06 06:16 AM

Quote:

It would have been a tough decision. Samoleus is capable of any two cards, and is capable of playing them in any fashion. I can't give an honest answer whether i would have folded or called.

are you implying you DIDN'T have 64 or 86?

Rick305
veteran

Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Nothing Exceeds like Excess
      #5602014 - 04/27/06 06:19 AM

Quote:

Did you have a set?

blopp
addict

Reged: 09/03/05
Loc: coaching plo/nlhe
      #5605125 - 04/27/06 12:47 PM

I love thise post sam.

1. With those stack would you still raise AA so little preflop? I know a too big raise isnt good (give away your hand). But can you really sell AA here? I have have no idea, if you have a standard raise you use on all hands. But raising AA 2,5bb after 2 limps... Even in position..

2. How do you think bld would bet weaker made hands on river (still valuebetting). Like 75 (limping to bust you) and A7 ("bluffing" turn).

If he still bet these hands strong on river, because you sometimes call light. I think its easier to bluff him. (You still represent the same hand with a push, but he would have a harder time calling here with 75 vs 55)

If this is nonsense.. Sorry

Blopp

Parlay Slow
MSNL's F_V

Reged: 11/03/03
Loc: Proud to be Polish!
Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: blopp]
      #5605465 - 04/27/06 01:15 PM

I'm pretty sure BLd had 34 but I can't completely remember

HotPants
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/11/05
Loc: DZ-015
Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: Parlay Slow]
      #5606241 - 04/27/06 02:09 PM

Quote:

I'm pretty sure BLd had 34 but I can't completely remember

Why would you be capable of remembering? Did he tell you what he had?

LegallyBlind
Pooh-Bah

Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: HotPants]
      #5606645 - 04/27/06 02:35 PM

I think we can agree Bld would fould all hands<set and call with 43, this seems pretty standard. So, aren't we more interested to know if Bld would have folded a set on this hand if sam pushed the river?

and of course i mean any set lower than JJJ and AAA

MDMA
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: 32K pot against Bld with 8 high? toughest decision I've ever had! [Re: blopp]
      #5608605 - 04/27/06 04:34 PM

Blopp, he's either raising the same amount with all holdings, or he's capable of raising all different amounts with every holding. No good player on this level is ever gonna let any information slip through through their preflop betsizes, and most likely not through their betsizes on any other street as well (except for when they want to represent a certain holding/strength obviously, such as with river overbets representing air or nuts).

samoleus
old hand

#5613155 - 04/27/06 10:54 PM

Blopp, your answers:

1. I never vary my raise sizes based on hand strength. Position and number of players in the pot are the only factors that determine the size of my opening raise.

2. Good question. I think 7-5 may or may not check call the river. If he bets with 7-5 (probably 50% of the time in this spot), he will almost always fold to a raise. A-7 probably fires and folds to a raise. However, there is almost 0% chance that he plays the flop that way with A-7.

samoleus
old hand

#5613160 - 04/27/06 10:54 PM

I still don't know what Bld had. He did not show.

samoleus
old hand

#5613185 - 04/27/06 10:56 PM

Well, if Bld is being honest here (and I certainly believe him), I guess he didn't have 3-4.

MDMA
Carpal \'Tunnel

#5614006 - 04/28/06 12:03 AM

Sam, I think bld wasn't really implying what he would have done with the specific holding he had here, but rather what he would do (on balance, since internal handvalue between 77,55 and 22 is clearly, as stated, of the essence for the call) with all the other holdings mentioned except 34 had you raised allin.

At least that's what I make of it:)

Anyways, this thread turned out remarkable (as good as your post with 3 hands earlier), good work samoleus, looking forward to more of these quality postings!

samoleus
old hand

Re: RESULTS [Re: MDMA]
      #5614034 - 04/28/06 12:04 AM

Thanks MDMA! And I think you are right about Bld's post ...

Jman28
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/17/04
Loc: Banana Thief
      #5614077 - 04/28/06 12:08 AM

I'd like to echo MDMA's sentiments. I'm really glad to have you posting here, Sam.

Death Valley
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 11/07/02
Loc: Brooklyn
Re: RESULTS [Re: Jman28]
      #5637811 - 04/30/06 08:10 AM

FWIW, I like a buff raise on the river less when the ace hits, if you are hoping he will fold a set. When ace comes it looks like you may be moving in with aces up

PartyGirlUK
Confirmed Bot, 100%

Reged: 11/02/04
Re: RESULTS [Re: Death Valley]
      #5637834 - 04/30/06 08:20 AM

Firstly, I really doubt Sam would move in with Aces up in this position. Secondly, how the hell can he have gotten to the river with Ax 1 pair?

samoleus
old hand

#5638891 - 04/30/06 12:32 PM

Well said Dean. Two very good points. There is no way in hell that aces up is a value raise there - not even close. In fact, I will fold with aces up there before I raise. (calling and folding would be close). ... And as Dean says, even if I was stupid enough to raise aces up there, what hand could I have had that called the three flop raises, and the huge turn bet?

Jamougha
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 10/02/05
Loc: Learning to read the board
      #5643750 - 04/30/06 08:46 PM

Quote:

I will play AA the same way about 60% of the time, folding the other 40% to his turn bet.

I find this by far the most interesting sentence in the thread.

BobboFitos
Hit n Run Artist. Literally.

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Somerville
      #8796099 - 01/17/07 10:05 AM

warning, this is an old bump, first time reading this thread. wow, good one. (got bored, read the BBV thing, was linked here...)

Quote:

Secondly, how the hell can he have gotten to the river with Ax 1 pair?

A7c. raise pf with the limpers. raise the original limper after bld's cc. calls bld's 3bet bc he thinks he's fos. A7 ~= AA wrt 3bet range on that flop / bluff catcher.

hit the club on turn. has visions of stacking bld. calls.

hits aces up on the river.

there, one combo possibility of samo having A7.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mat Sklansky, AZK, fsuplayer, Matt Flynn, Sunny Mehta, Mike Haven 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 20629

Rate this topic

Jump to

contact us 2+2 Publishing