Favorite Links
Feedback
Advertising Information
Home
Posting Hints
Privacy Notice
Forum Archives

The 2+2 Forums

Before using this Forum, please refer to the Terms and Conditions (Last modified: 2/26/2006)

Be sure to read the   Two Plus Two Internet Magazine

This is an archive. The main forums are here

These forums are read only.

UBB.threads™ Groupee, Inc.

Coaching/Training >> DeucesCracked.com

Pages: 1
buzz_ly

Reged: 05/18/06
Loc: infinity and beyond
Price of poker just went up!
      #12832259 - 11/06/07 11:58 AM

I never really spent money on coaching/videos/books (yah even books, despite being registered on 2p2 forums!)

Well I was finally convinced to do otherwise, and since videos are the books of 2007(!) I signed up for a video site.

And now i'm thinking of hiring a coach. I'm a pretty decent winner - 1.2 bb @ limit (5/102 -15/30 mostly) and 4bb/100 @ msnl (2/4-3/6) over big samples.

How much coaching would i need? Like i'm guessing that as i get more lessons I will need less and less coaching (like 1st lesson is like "oh you need to change A through Z! but at the end we're through the alphabet now what!?)

Second - Say i want to spend $5k on coaching - what is better - 100 lessons @ $50/hour or 10 lessons @ $500 an hour? I'm a math guy so i see the curve as optimized somewhere in the middle - where i should be getting like 20 lessons @ $250/hour (though that means i'm siding with your price models, which i think is a fair assumption, no? Basically assuming you (all coaches that is) charge different amounts for a reason)

And third - Who wants to coach buzz_ly!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DeathDonkeyModerator
runs better than he plays

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: DeucesCracked - Serious Game
Re: Price of poker just went up! [Re: buzz_ly]
      #12833864 - 11/06/07 01:53 PM

IMO you want a coach who will help you with achieving your goals, so you have to define what you want to accomplish. I ask students to write me a brief email talking about what they feel are their problems and what they want me to help them with. Then when we sit to play I still decide if they have some other problems they didn't mention, but try to focus on what they asked about.

For someone at your limits the biggest question I usually hear is "how do I deal with these guys at higher limits that play way LAGgier than me but seem to play tough postflop and win". I spend a lot of my time helping small to mid stakes winners get used to the increased aggression and tough LAGTAGs at higher stakes games.

About the amount to spend, well it depends on your own comfort levels, but you should find a coach that is experienced enough at the stakes you want to be playing to help you with the transition and his experience. I just saw KRANTZ make a good post in another thread here talking about coaching which I definitely agree with.

As with all things I think you get what you pay for, but always make sure you are comfortable that you feel you are getting proper value from your coach. There are a lot of good options out there and you have to be happy with the relationship.

-DeathDonkey

KRANTZ
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 09/19/05
Loc: the 1980s
Re: Price of poker just went up! [Re: DeathDonkey]
      #12948817 - 11/13/07 11:55 PM

To infinity and beyond!

Don't think about value in coaching in terms of x lessons for y dollars. Find a coach who you're comfortable with and make sure they have long-term plans. Ask them about other students and how they've helped them progress over time.

To generalize, though, the more lessons (assuming a competent coach), the better. The longer I coach someone, the more I get to know their game and the easier it is to see where their leaks are springing from and what the most effective ways of fixing them are. If you tell me during our first lesson you think you're too loose preflop, I can give you a list of starting hand ranges from each position to help you tighten up. If you tell me that and I look at that same problem after 10 hours, I can probably see exactly what positions you're being too loose from, the types of problems you're finding yourself in postflop because of that, and I can show you exactly why Q2s shouldn't be your favorite hand to play UTG.

Coaching is a big investment, though, so researching your coach beforehand is well worth the time and the effort. We'll be happy to answer your questions!

sharkscopeaholic
enthusiast

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: USA OF COURSE!
Re: Price of poker just went up! [Re: KRANTZ]
      #13208818 - 12/02/07 12:00 AM

Quote:

To infinity and beyond!

Don't think about value in coaching in terms of x lessons for y dollars. Find a coach who you're comfortable with and make sure they have long-term plans. Ask them about other students and how they've helped them progress over time.

To generalize, though, the more lessons (assuming a competent coach), the better. The longer I coach someone, the more I get to know their game and the easier it is to see where their leaks are springing from and what the most effective ways of fixing them are. If you tell me during our first lesson you think you're too loose preflop, I can give you a list of starting hand ranges from each position to help you tighten up. If you tell me that and I look at that same problem after 10 hours, I can probably see exactly what positions you're being too loose from, the types of problems you're finding yourself in postflop because of that, and I can show you exactly why Q2s shouldn't be your favorite hand to play UTG.

Coaching is a big investment, though, so researching your coach beforehand is well worth the time and the effort. We'll be happy to answer your questions!

I'm interested to see your next post and hopefully its strategy.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  DeucesCracked, Joe Tall, Entity, DeathDonkey, Mike Haven 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 919

Rate this topic

Jump to

contact us 2+2 Publishing