Favorite Links
Feedback
Advertising Information
Home
Posting Hints
Privacy Notice
Forum Archives

The 2+2 Forums

Before using this Forum, please refer to the Terms and Conditions (Last modified: 2/26/2006)

Be sure to read the   Two Plus Two Internet Magazine

This is an archive. The main forums are here

These forums are read only.

UBB.threads™ Groupee, Inc.

Other Poker >> Heads Up Poker

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Indiana
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: San Mateo, California
Indy's Interview Series with the top HU-ers: Stevesbets
      #11470172 - 07/31/07 06:07 PM

Enjoy you guys!!!!! Thanks to steves for doing this!!! I've asked steve to come out and answer all the questions that you guys have over the next few days so fire away.

*How old are you and where you from?
I am 24 years old from philadelphia

*How long have you been playing poker?
I have been Playing since the summer after my sophomore year in college, I guess that was about four years ago now. I can't believe its been that long

*What did you do before you played poker as your main form of income?
I never really had any money before poker, my parents supported me by giving my 300 dollars a month spending money and paying for my room and board in college. Now that I think about it I have no idea how I lived with only 300 dollars spending.

*How did you get into Heads Up as your main game?

I played the full table sngs on partypoker back when I first started; I built my way up to a nice bankroll starting at the 5 dollar level. And was playing the 215s comfortably when I first opened my pokerstars account. Since I played sngs on party, I instantly gravitated towards the sng tab. I noticed heads up and was intrigued, I had deposited $1000 dollars and I blelieve the biggest hu game they had at the time was 500 dollars. Jdredd was sitting waiting for an opponent. So I jumped in and he crushed me. I was hooked ever since.

*How'd u get to such high stakes in heads up games?

I always want to be the best at whatever I do. To me the best means beating the biggest games. In my mind I had no choice in the matter.

*How does it feel to play for 5 or 10k per match? Do the swings get to you?
How do u deal with them?

I would be lying to say that I don't go to bed miserable some nights. But it is just important on a downswing to think about other good things going on that are totally separate from one's poker life. Doing that keeps me grounded and probably alive during the terrible miserable poker spells.

Does high stakes Heads Up or High Stakes Cash or Live Tournaments suit you
best? Which do you make the most money at?

My best game is almost definitely the high stakes heads up matches on pokerstars. I say pokerstars specifically because I am down huge in the full tilt sngs. I still haven't figured out exactly why but I think it's a combination of the software and structure suiting my game. I want to be a great live tournament player because getting deep in a live 10k event is one of the biggest rushes there is in poker. Alternatively it is a very depressing lifestyle because no matter what you are almost ALWAYS going to leave a tournament unhappy.

*How does it feel to play the 5500s and continually beat the best of the
best? How do you do it?

To be honest I don't get too much action up there anymore. I can sit for an entire day and only get 2 or 3 games. I enjoy the challenge and just try to play my best every match against whatever tendencies my specific opponent exhibits.

*Is the high stakes HU lifestyle enjoyable or too stressful at times?

It's a very stressful way to live. They are very volatile and when running bad I often find myself utterly dreading the turn and river.

*Do you think HU will become more popular over time?
I hope so

*What are your ultimate goals as a poker player?
To make enough money to set myself up for life so I can become a high school teacher or something fun like that. I really want to win a few live tournaments before I'm done too

*Are you worried about the future legality of online poker? What are your
predictions of the legality of online poker in 3 years?

Very worried but I have no predictions, our government is more illogical than just about any poker player I've encountered (and that is saying a lot)

*Do you think the HU fish will hang around for awhile? Will there be more of
them?

People will always want to play heads up, it's the ultimate challenge to yourself, just you, one on one for the money

*Do you ever find fish at the highest levels of HU (5500s)? are they just
rich guys?
There aren't really many fish so much as people you just match up well against. Some of the people I like to play the most I do not consider a fish by any means. My game simply matches up well against theirs. As much as we all like to think we can adjust to any opponent, change gears etc. We are all at least partial slaves to our natural tendencies and we have to hope these tendencies coincide with a winning strategy.

*What are the biggest struggles you have had to overcome as a professional
poker player?
Definitely the downswings, sometimes I'm in a public place like a movie theater or a train and I think to myself, how lucky are all these people? Most likely none of them have ever lost several hundred in a day, let alone several tens of thousands or more.

*Do you still enjoy the game or is it just a job to you?
I very much enjoy it because I'm always doing new things. Right now I'm playing a lot of o8

*How fast did you move up in stakes?
As I alluded to before, it all started at 5 dollar sngs on party. As many of the readers know I'm not much of a bankroll manager. I basically moved up to any level I had a few buy ins for in the beginning. I definitely busted my party account many times and had to sneak into the dining hall to make the 300 a month from my parents last. Eventually I hit a hot streak and was able to move from the 5 dollar level to the 215 dollar level (then the highest on party) within 3 months.

*What are key components of your game / lifestyle that make you a bigger
winner than most (or more consistent)?
I would say the biggest key to my success is I NEVER hit and run. Basically the only time I'll leave a game that Im winning at is if I have to do something else in my life at that time. Aside from the ethical implications of hit n running, many players like locking up a win so will leave as soon as they are up a bit. I think this is about as small minded as a poker player can be. My style tends to tilt people when I'm winning and so when would POSSIBLY be a better time to play them? Willingness to put in long sessions especially when winning is definitely a key to success

*What should us little groupies know or learn to get baller at HU like you?

You have to use the clues that you have. Namely what the player does on every street of the hand and what that players tendencies are and you can usually know what they have. I've laid down lots of hands most people probably wouldn't even believe if I told them and I've made some calls that many people would consider very fishy. Don't be afraid to look dumb. I would say 50% of online players think I'm a huge fish and I'm fine with that. You just have to play your game and be smart about it.

*Do you have a baller house, baller lifestyle, moniez and biotches all day
???
I've had the same gf for like 3 years now, drive a bmw ci convertible, and invest my money, so in short, no.

*What kind of car do you drive?

See above

*Who is the best HU-er online (excluding yourself of course)?
Hmmm

I would prefer not to answer because I don't want anyone to know that I think they are good.

*Who is the most overrated HU fish online (excluding me of course)?
DEFINTELY and without a doubt the most overrated player has been Lars Magne for years. This guy was a total joke when he was crushing the 5k heads up matches and I heard form so many idiots how he is the best in the world. He simply sucked out every big hand for months at a time so all the uneducated railbirds see him winning and assume he is the best. It really made me sick for a long time. Not surprisingly, at this point in time Johnny Lodden has gotten what he deserves.

*Can you comment on what it was like to go deep in the World Series of Poker
this year?

It was a huge rush. I'm still incredibly depressed at how I blew my stack on day 4. I had aj on an a74 flop and basically ended up losing 65% of my chips to JJ when a jack spiked the turn. It was a sick set up no doubt but my opponent did his DAMNEDEST to tell me he had a set to let me get away and I just didn't listen. Im very disappointed in myself.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
muxplust
old hand

Reged: 05/08/06
Re: Indy's Interview Series with the top HU-ers: Stevesbets [Re: Indiana]
      #11470700 - 07/31/07 06:40 PM

stevesbets: get in there
stevesbets: say that u will respond to Qs on my behalf as my spokesperson
mux: lol
mux: your PR person

ThePhenom919

Reged: 11/10/06
Re: Indy's Interview Series with the top HU-ers: Stevesbets [Re: muxplust]
      #11470862 - 07/31/07 06:50 PM

steveoooo LarsMagne or HoldemPhil, who ran hotter (ran and not runs since HPhil retired)

Indiana
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Indy's Interview Series with the top HU-ers: Stevesbets [Re: muxplust]
      #11470917 - 07/31/07 06:54 PM

Quote:

stevesbets: get in there
stevesbets: say that u will respond to Qs on my behalf as my spokesperson
mux: lol
mux: your PR person

oh and thanks a million to mux for getting steve to help us....

so i assume that you will ask steves all these questions that we have?

ChicagoRy
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/15/07
Loc: husng training site
      #11470964 - 07/31/07 06:57 PM

Not in a bad way, but it seems a decent amount of the high stakes players dislike you for one reason or another.

I recall reading an Ansky thread where he challenged you to a match with payback on a % of your losses. Does this go along with your style (as you alluded to in the questions) or do you provoke people in other ways?

How do the players in the 10k HU MTT that do not play HUSNG normally (boosted, empiremaker, etc.) rate in terms of skill? I know the structure is a lot deeper so the adjustments shouldn't be as noticable as a turbo or even regular speed husng, I'm just curious as to any dropoff in skill some of these players might have in that game.

cwar
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/19/05
Loc: Cwar LLC
Re: Indy's Interview Series with the top HU-ers: Stevesbets [Re: ChicagoRy]
      #11471289 - 07/31/07 07:20 PM

Quote:

To make enough money to set myself up for life so I can become a high school teacher or something fun like that.

Lol, that came out of left field. Sounds like you have a great perspective steve. What is the best advice you can give an up and comer, what does it take to beat the $1k HU sngs that I might not do crushing the $200s? If I crush the 200s is it likely I will succeed at the $1ks?

Also, Ive heard you often make large over pushes with 30bb or similar stacks and also make some extremely tiny bets relative to the pot, can you give us any insight into the reasoning behind these moves? (Sorry I dont have any HHs Im sure some of the HU forum could find some)

Indiana
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Indy's Interview Series with the top HU-ers: Stevesbets [Re: cwar]
      #11471582 - 07/31/07 07:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

To make enough money to set myself up for life so I can become a high school teacher or something fun like that.

Lol, that came out of left field. Sounds like you have a great perspective steve. What is the best advice you can give an up and comer, what does it take to beat the $1k HU sngs that I might not do crushing the $200s? If I crush the 200s is it likely I will succeed at the $1ks?

Also, Ive heard you often make large over pushes with 30bb or similar stacks and also make some extremely tiny bets relative to the pot, can you give us any insight into the reasoning behind these moves? (Sorry I dont have any HHs Im sure some of the HU forum could find some)

i used to be a high school math teacher....steves wouldn't be happy with that. VERY VERY VERY hard job for VERY VERY VERY low pay.

Indy

IronFly
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/17/04
Loc: it's hard out here for a pimp
      #11471893 - 07/31/07 08:00 PM

Quote:

My style tends to tilt people when I'm winning

Could you elaborate on this? Does the way you play poker tilt people? Or do you talk trash?

Nichomacheo
old hand

Reged: 08/12/06
Re: Indy's Interview Series with the top HU-ers: Stevesbets [Re: IronFly]
      #11472084 - 07/31/07 08:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

My style tends to tilt people when I'm winning

Could you elaborate on this? Does the way you play poker tilt people? Or do you talk trash?

Sometimes only fold equity makes the move +EV. When he gets called though, it seems ridiculous when he wins with 26s type hands.

bbbushu
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/13/06
Loc: it's [censored] or walk
Re: Indy's Interview Series with the top HU-ers: Stevesbets [Re: Nichomacheo]
      #11472107 - 07/31/07 08:14 PM

sometimes the move might not be +EV at all and we just hope that future bad adjustments by villain will make up the difference.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Leader, DcifrThs, Mike Haven 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 800

Rate this topic

Jump to

contact us 2+2 Publishing