Favorite Links
Feedback
Advertising Information
Home
Posting Hints
Privacy Notice
Forum Archives

The 2+2 Forums

Before using this Forum, please refer to the Terms and Conditions (Last modified: 2/26/2006)

Be sure to read the   Two Plus Two Internet Magazine

This is an archive. The main forums are here

These forums are read only.

UBB.threads™ Groupee, Inc.

2+2 Communities >> BBV4Life

Pages: << 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | >> (show all)
ZeTurd
veteran

Reged: 02/18/06
Loc: No1 famous in Norway
Re: Ask a music scene micro celebrity [Re: Georgia Avenue]
      #11122473 - 07/09/07 05:35 PM

Quote:

Steve: Swingo is my new favorite game and i would like to wager all my moneys on it.

Regarding something you said earlier...my roomate and I (he posts here as G-street) have been in a running argument about something Henry Rollins said on his show... about bands selling out their music to commercials. His claim: Who cares? Let good musician make a few bucks being appreciated now that they are respected instead of dismissed and ignored. Yet you said earlier that you get creeped out and disgusted when you see it happen, and you feel that they've let their fans down. Do artists really have some kinda responsibility to their audiences...even though, as you say, the best records are made without giving a crap what the public thinks?

I want Iggy to be as rich and popular as Justin Timberlake, yet I can't listen to Lust for Life without picturing some douchebag on a Carnival Cruise galavanting in the briny surf with his fat kids. Is this my problem or his or something in between?

Poker question: Would you ever put your tournament life in on a draw? If so, would you kick yourself in the nuts for using the term tournament life?

lol rockaments,
--GA

QFWTKTATTM

(Quoted for wanting to know the answers to this myself)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
SinglePoster
stranger

Reged: 07/09/07
Re: Ask a music scene micro celebrity [Re: ZeTurd]
      #11122826 - 07/09/07 05:54 PM

I saw that Nancarrow piece at Carnegie Hall as well. It was performed by Bang On a Can & was a transcription they did of one of his piano pieces. Really great.

Steve, have you started recording with OM yet? How does that usually work with bands you have not worked with before - they send you a demo of what they want to record or do you have no idea what they want to record until you all get in the studio?

killsadie
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/13/06
Loc: stpl, mn
Re: Ask a music scene micro celebrity [Re: SinglePoster]
      #11123167 - 07/09/07 06:16 PM

tell me more about milemarker.

suchashame
stranger

Reged: 07/09/07
      #11123246 - 07/09/07 06:22 PM

Not sure if you answered it but I would love to know about the Rudimentary Peni sessions. As far as I can tell you've never mentioned it on your forum.

electrical
Loaded for bear

Reged: 08/05/05
Loc: chicago
      #11123795 - 07/09/07 07:02 PM

Quote:

Steve: Swingo is my new favorite game and i would like to wager all my moneys on it.

Come to Chicago on any Tuesday and look me up.

Quote:

...something Henry Rollins said on his show... about bands selling out their music to commercials. His claim: Who cares? Let good musician make a few bucks being appreciated now that they are respected instead of dismissed and ignored.

Precisely the answer you'd expect from the Voice of GM Trucks. It's an argument that holds absolutely no water.

To say that an artist with a legion of devoted fans and a culturally-significant body of work is being "dismissed and ignored" is ridiculous prima facie and doesn't really need further debunking. What he's talking about is money. Whenever anybody starts justifying taking money with language derived from some other consideration, he's actually talking about the money.

I cannot fault anybody for taking money for their work, especially in dire circumstances (people often do degrading things for money, especially in dire circumstances), but it is ludicrous to suggest that as a fan (a participant in the celebration that made the song "Lust for Life" a valuable commodity in the first place) I shouldn't notice that it has happened, and that it shouldn't change the meaning of the song in my estimation. Of course I will, and of course it does. Previously, "Lust for Life" had been an ode to decadence, written and performed in a frenzy of cocaine, heroin bingeing and buggery. It has now become a mormon-worthy family-fun cruise jingle. Of course it has changed.

Quote:

Do artists really have some kinda responsibility to their audiences...even though, as you say, the best records are made without giving a crap what the public thinks?

No, they owe us nothing. That also means that my enthusiasm for artists isn't bulletproof, and I owe them no allegiance either. If they become something I cannot get behind, then they are likely to lose me as a fan.

Quote:

I want Iggy to be as rich and popular as Justin Timberlake

Rich, okay, but what benefit is it to the world to have douchebags and Justin Timberlake fans listening to Iggy Pop? Not everything is for everybody, and I don't think everything is universally improved if you lay it on with a ladle.

Quote:

Poker question: Would you ever put your tournament life in on a draw?

If you're not willing to move-in with 21 outs on the flop, you're not really playing poker. If you mean calling-off with a bare eight-out draw, then I'd need to be somewhat desperate.
Quote:

If so, would you kick yourself in the nuts for using the term tournament life?

You used the term, dipstick, not me.

mikebarr
stranger

Reged: 07/08/07
Re: Ask a music scene micro celebrity [Re: electrical]
      #11123995 - 07/09/07 07:17 PM

Have you lost the drive to be a great sound engineer? Ive found some people lose their enthusiasm when it is a full time job.

electrical
Loaded for bear

Re: Ask a music scene micro celebrity [Re: Hey_Porter]
      #11124164 - 07/09/07 07:29 PM

Quote:

What are your favorite "outlaw" country performers besides Willie? Anything obscure you might recommend that most fans of the genre would not know about?

There are a lot of under-appreciated roots/country guys out there. I would suggest Johnny Dowd and Buddy Miller, and for crazy playing, nobody beats Junior Brown. In the Waylon/Willie/Merle triumvirate, I always liked Willie's personality more, and he wrote better songs.

The man wrote "Crazy," and for that alone, there ought to be a statue of him someplace.

electrical
Loaded for bear

Re: Ask a music scene micro celebrity [Re: suchashame]
      #11124267 - 07/09/07 07:36 PM

Quote:

Not sure if you answered it but I would love to know about the Rudimentary Peni sessions. As far as I can tell you've never mentioned it on your forum.

During a period when Rudimentary Peni were on hiatus, Grant and Jon made a multitrack recording of themselves playing a few songs, and I added guitar at my studio in Chicago. I asked Jay Tiller (of Couch Flambeau) to be the vocalist, and the tapes were eventually finished. There was never a release made of this Rudimentary Tiller-bini master, and eventually Rudimentary Peni came back into activity with their own records.

I honestly can't say why we never bothered releasing it, except that it wasn't a real band, and so nobody had any strong ambition with it.

mikebarr
stranger

Reged: 07/08/07
Re: Ask a music scene micro celebrity [Re: electrical]
      #11124634 - 07/09/07 08:02 PM

Do you have any tips on capturing a good rock snare? I don't have decent dynamic mic's (only sm57 and 58)and seem to always overload any condesor that I put near it.

electrical
Loaded for bear

Re: Ask a music scene micro celebrity [Re: mikebarr]
      #11124784 - 07/09/07 08:15 PM

Quote:

Do you have any tips on capturing a good rock snare? I don't have decent dynamic mic's (only sm57 and 58)and seem to always overload any condesor that I put near it.

Looks like it's time to buy a microphone or two.

Readily-available modestly-priced mics that work well on snare: Sennheiser 421, Beyer M201, Shure KSM141. Start there.

Pages: << 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 42 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  4_2_it, Chump Change, adanthar, citanul, Mike Haven 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 18540

Rate this topic

Jump to

contact us 2+2 Publishing