Favorite Links
Feedback
Advertising Information
Home
Posting Hints
Privacy Notice
Forum Archives

The 2+2 Forums

Before using this Forum, please refer to the Terms and Conditions (Last modified: 2/26/2006)

Be sure to read the   Two Plus Two Internet Magazine

This is an archive. The main forums are here

These forums are read only.

UBB.threads™ Groupee, Inc.

2+2 Communities >> BBV4Life

Pages: << 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | >> (show all)
turnipmonster
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 07/14/03
Loc: ain't got no flyin' shoes
Re: Ask a music scene micro celebrity [Re: jht]
      #11071903 - 07/05/07 08:42 PM

what's your relationship with the guitar and how has it changed over the years? do you spend a lot of time playing for fun, or not so much?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
electrical
Loaded for bear

Reged: 08/05/05
Loc: chicago
Re: Ask a music scene micro celebrity [Re: charlatantric]
      #11072009 - 07/05/07 08:50 PM

Quote:

Hey Steve,

Curious about your production on a couple Mono albums and GY!BE...

At the beginning of some songs (Ode, Yearning, and 09-15-00), the listener can hear your voice saying, "You're on." I understand these were recorded live, but I was curious what the purpose of leaving the command on those songs served.

I didn't mix the Godspeed! record, so I don't know what decisions were made there. With Mono, I think they started thinking of that as the beginning of the song. In one case, I remember they asked me to overdub a "you're rolling." I never pressed them for a specific reason and they never gave me one.

NT!

Reged: 02/19/04
Loc: i ain't got my taco
Re: Ask a music scene micro celebrity [Re: electrical]
      #11072044 - 07/05/07 08:53 PM

steve,

you may very well be saying 'no comment' by ignoring it in my last post, but i am super curious: nothing to say about 24 hour revenge therapy?

electrical
Loaded for bear

Re: Ask a music scene micro celebrity [Re: jht]
      #11072107 - 07/05/07 08:58 PM

Quote:

Mr Albini

I'm particularly fond of the Electrelane albums you worked on, I was wondering how you found working with them and what you think of the albums yourself.

I think Electrelane are an awesome band, with really ambitious ideas. Each of the women is a unique character and I enjoyed working with them tremendously. Verity is a fantastic musician with the capacity to hear impossibly complex arrangements in her head, and I admire that.

Quote:

Also, I was wondering what record producers you particularly admire yourself.

I don't think too much of producers, honestly. There are some great sounding albums out there (Highway to Hell, Back in Black, Zuma, Led Zeppelin albums, Spiderland) but I attribute that to the bands themselves. If you listen to the crap Mutt Lange has done since Back in Black, for example, you can tell that giving the producer any credit for that album is going too far.

electrical
Loaded for bear

Re: Ask a music scene micro celebrity [Re: NT!]
      #11072162 - 07/05/07 09:03 PM

Quote:

steve,

you may very well be saying 'no comment' by ignoring it in my last post, but i am super curious: nothing to say about 24 hour revenge therapy?

Sorry. I had to resort to Google to discover that it was a Jawbreaker album. I don't remember too much about it, other than that it was a decent, if standard pop punk record of the type that was pretty common in the mid-90s.

I didn't follow that scene or that band, and I don't know if I ever heard the record after I finished work on it, so I really don't have anything to add. Glad you liked it.

electrical
Loaded for bear

Re: Ask a music scene micro celebrity [Re: turnipmonster]
      #11072186 - 07/05/07 09:05 PM

Quote:

what's your relationship with the guitar and how has it changed over the years? do you spend a lot of time playing for fun, or not so much?

Hardly ever. Once a month or so I'll get to play a little. More if the band is rehearsing for a tour or writing songs. Still hardly any.

ua1176
enthusiast

Reged: 11/05/05
Re: Ask a music scene micro celebrity [Re: oddjob]
      #11072514 - 07/05/07 09:34 PM

Steve,

whats up? im a young professional audio engineer, musician, etc etc etc trying to make a living in the NYC scene. your attitude is refreshing amidst all the [censored] out there. so i first want to thank you for sticking it out in the biz, and for keeping Electrical's doors open.

my question to you is- with digital audio getting better as time goes on, is there gonna be a Pro Tools rig at Electrical? do you ever do sessions at other studios where you end up using Pro Tools?

since you're working primarily with 2''....have you ever run into a session that needed an absurd amount of editing? i've not worked much with tape in my time as an AE....is there ever a point at which it becomes counterproductive to do a large amount of editing on analog tape?

thanks,

jonathan jetter

Edited by ua1176 (07/05/07 09:39 PM)

nvts
stranger

Reged: 07/05/07
Re: Ask a music scene micro celebrity [Re: ua1176]
      #11072751 - 07/05/07 09:52 PM

Steve,

Thanks very much for the Q&A opportunity. A few questions on a couple of topics:

1) It is generally accepted that most folks prefer the smell of their own farts to that of others'. Is this true for you, and can you tell us a little bit about the features of your farts that make them more palatable? Do you take any measures to achieve and maintain any particular fart qualities?

2) David Wm. Sims' instrument sound, while quite extraordinary, strongly suggests that he has a fascination with farts well beyond the social norm. Did he talk about them often? Did he choose his meals with future farts in mind? I understand if you're not at liberty to discuss, but - is this why the Jesus Lizard split?

electrical
Loaded for bear

Re: Ask a music scene micro celebrity [Re: ua1176]
      #11072860 - 07/05/07 10:02 PM

Quote:

with digital audio getting better as time goes on, is there gonna be a Pro Tools rig at Electrical? do you ever do sessions at other studios where you end up using Pro Tools?

We have digital sessions at Electrical pretty regularly. If a session comes in that requires a Pro Tools rig, we strap one in, and we wouldn't be being reasonable if we refused.

Personally, I have never used Pro Tools, and never worked from a computer for any part of a recording session. I have never felt limited by this arrangement, and there has never been a moment in a session where I have had to say "we can't do that" because we were working on tape.

Quote:

since you're working primarily with 2''....have you ever run into a session that needed an absurd amount of editing?

Yes. We have another appearance of Urge Overkill in this thread.

Quote:

i've not worked much with tape in my time as an AE....is there ever a point at which it becomes counterproductive to do a large amount of editing on analog tape?

Well, you sort-of answered your own question there. A lot of editing means that there's something terribly wrong with the recording, and you're going through heroic steps to salvage it. I try never to let things get that far out of whack.

It is counter-productive to try to turn ka-kaa into gold.

Since editing is relatively quicker in the digital domain, a lot of digital-only engineers use editing as their default tool in every situation. I think that's profoundly lazy, and the equivalent of trying to build a house with just a hammer, pretending that everything is a nail. It is one of the earmarks of a hack. You could say "fish" instead.

TheTheory
stranger

Reged: 07/05/07
Re: Ask a music scene micro celebrity [Re: electrical]
      #11073096 - 07/05/07 10:17 PM

Quote:

Ballydowse

I had no idea you worked with Ballydowse on anything. Wow. This band was excellent.

I registered just to post this. Now I'm going to continue read this superb thread...

Pages: << 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  4_2_it, Chump Change, adanthar, citanul, Mike Haven 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 18540

Rate this topic

Jump to

contact us 2+2 Publishing