Terms & Conditions

Internet Magazine

Non–US new players
Get five 2+2 books


Order Books
Book Translations
Forum Login
 
 
Expand All   Collapse All

 Two Plus Two 
2+2 Magazine Forum
Special Sklansky Forum
2+2 Pokercast
About the Forums

 General Poker Discussion 
Beginners Questions
Books and Publications
Televised Poker
News, Views, and Gossip
Brick and Mortar
Home Poker
Beats, Brags, and Variance
Poker Theory
Poker Legislation

 Coaching/Training 
StoxPoker
DeucesCracked

 German Forums 
Poker Allgemein
Strategie: Holdem NL cash
Strategie: Sonstige
Internet/Online
BBV
Small Talk
German Poker News

 French Forums 
Forum francophone
Strategie
BBV (French)

 Limit Texas Hold'em 
High Stakes Limit
Medium Stakes Limit
Small Stakes Limit
Micro Stakes Limit
Mid-High Short-handed
Small Stakes Shorthanded
Limit––>NL

 PL/NL Texas Hold'em 
High Stakes
Medium Stakes
Small Stakes
Micro Stakes
Small-High Full Ring
Micro Full Ring

 Tournament Poker 
Small Stakes MTT
High Stakes MTT
MTT Community
STT Strategy
Tournament Circuit

 Other Poker 
Omaha/8
Omaha High
Stud
Heads Up Poker
Other Poker Games

 General Gambling 
Probability
Psychology
Sports Betting
Other Gambling Games
Entertainment Betting

 Internet Gambling 
Internet Gambling
Internet Bonuses
Affiliates/RakeBack
Software

 2+2 Communities 
Other Other Topics
The Lounge: Discussion+Review
El Diablo's General Discussion
BBV4Life

 Other Topics 
Golf
Sporting Events
Politics
Business, Finance, and Investing
Travel
Science, Math, and Philosophy
Health and Fitness
Student Life
Puzzles and Other Games
Video Games
Laughs or Links!
Computer Technical Help
Sponsored Support Forums
RakebackNetwork
RakeReduction.com
Other Links
Books
Authors
Abbreviations
Calendar
Order Books
Books by Others
Favorite Links
Feedback
Advertising Information
Home
Posting Hints
Privacy Notice
Forum Archives

The 2+2 Forums

Before using this Forum, please refer to the Terms and Conditions (Last modified: 2/26/2006)

Be sure to read the   Two Plus Two Internet Magazine

This is an archive. The main forums are here

These forums are read only.


 
UBB.threads™ Groupee, Inc.

General Poker Discussion >> News, Views, and Gossip

Pages: << 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | >> (show all)
Dulce Liquido
journeyman


Reged: 09/12/06
Posts: 63
Re: Durrr in process of losing 60k+ in a chess bet.. good month for ra [Re: curtains]
      #10985836 - 06/29/07 05:43 AM

Quote:


I dunno, some people simply have no talent and will have major trouble with even a lot of training. I mean there are lots of kids who study for years and never get above 1300-1500. The same is true of many adults. Of course most adults just assume it won't be the case with them. Also it takes a lot of practice playing, I think it takes more time. Like 2-3 hours of study per day over a longer period of time would be more beneficial.




Y, I agree.

I was wondering in the case of a player like Durr who obviously has a natural aptitude for mental games.
If you were to take the bet again for rook odds and knew he had exactly one month to practise/study and use any tools at his disposal, would you?

I would guess a solid 1400-1500 player would win this provided they were rated such for stronger middle and endgame play, not blind memorization of openings...


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
curtains
Carpal \'Tunnel


Reged: 05/04/03
Posts: 13960
Loc: Philadelphia
Re: Durrr in process of losing 60k+ in a chess bet.. good month for ra [Re: Dulce Liquido]
      #10985865 - 06/29/07 05:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:


I dunno, some people simply have no talent and will have major trouble with even a lot of training. I mean there are lots of kids who study for years and never get above 1300-1500. The same is true of many adults. Of course most adults just assume it won't be the case with them. Also it takes a lot of practice playing, I think it takes more time. Like 2-3 hours of study per day over a longer period of time would be more beneficial.




Y, I agree.

I was wondering in the case of a player like Durr who obviously has a natural aptitude for mental games.
If you were to take the bet again for rook odds and knew he had exactly one month to practise/study and use any tools at his disposal, would you?

I would guess a solid 1400-1500 player would win this provided they were rated such for stronger middle and endgame play, not blind memorization of openings...





I guess I'd probably still be a favorite but of course the more he works the tougher itd be.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Lalu
stranger


Reged: 12/19/05
Posts: 22
Re: Durrr in process of losing 60k+ in a chess bet.. good month for ra [Re: pete fabrizio]
      #10985980 - 06/29/07 06:15 AM

I'm not sure exactly where the rating cutoff for someone like curtains to be still be a favorite against with rook odds, but my guess is it's about 1200-1300. I'd think a 1400-1500 would be a favorite, but who can really be sure.

"you really have to be quite bad at chess to ever lose with a rook advantage against anyone. just play defensively and force a bunch of trades -- they don't all even have to be even -- and you'll be unstoppable in the endgame. this is why chess is a terrible game to handicap -- a single pawn advantage would be enough to make any competitive player a favorite against the top gm's in the world."


That's completely wrong on so many levels. Play defensively and just force trades?? If it was that easy, why couldn't you just do that in regular chess and guarantee at least a draw in any game? I consider myself a reasonably competitive player, and I'm quite certain I'd be an underdog with pawn odds against the top GMs (and I'd guess curtains likely would be too, but unsure)."

Anyways, very cool bet overall, wish I coulda gotten in on some of that action. If you're up for more of it, I'll take you on curtains in blitz (EVEN MATERIAL, just give me 3 to 2 time odds), and I'll take some of your newfound $8k off of you


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
darom03
don't call me, I'll call you


Reged: 09/10/05
Posts: 1314
Loc: Not USA!!! \o/
Re: Durrr in process of losing 60k+ in a chess bet.. good month for ra [Re: fatpipe]
      #10985986 - 06/29/07 06:17 AM

Quote:

Quote:

speaking of chess and grandmasters, check this gangsta shiet out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evZmpsl3jI0




nh




One of the comments on Youtube were spot on (for once!):

"so he watched the first table where his opponent moved a white pawn, and decided not to respond because he had to do the same move at table 5 first. And person 1 didn't ask any questions why he was running of when it was his turn ??

Then at table 5, he is standing there and waiting for his opponent to respond with a black move, and right after he did, he just runs off (when it's his turn again)

Lol, I can't believe none of those smart grandmasters figured out what was going on ."

Come on! They had to figure it out somewhere down the line.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
almostbusto
veteran


Reged: 03/11/06
Posts: 1262
Loc: unemployed
Re: Durrr in process of losing 60k+ in a chess bet.. good month for ra [Re: darom03]
      #10986029 - 06/29/07 06:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

speaking of chess and grandmasters, check this gangsta shiet out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evZmpsl3jI0




nh




One of the comments on Youtube were spot on (for once!):

"so he watched the first table where his opponent moved a white pawn, and decided not to respond because he had to do the same move at table 5 first. And person 1 didn't ask any questions why he was running of when it was his turn ??

Then at table 5, he is standing there and waiting for his opponent to respond with a black move, and right after he did, he just runs off (when it's his turn again)

Lol, I can't believe none of those smart grandmasters figured out what was going on ."

Come on! They had to figure it out somewhere down the line.




do you have any ideas on how he figured out how many pieces would be left on the board when the game concluded? or was that bit of the trick actually setup?


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
curtains
Carpal \'Tunnel


Reged: 05/04/03
Posts: 13960
Loc: Philadelphia
Re: Durrr in process of losing 60k+ in a chess bet.. good month for ra [Re: Lalu]
      #10986074 - 06/29/07 06:34 AM

Quote:

I'm not sure exactly where the rating cutoff for someone like curtains to be still be a favorite against with rook odds, but my guess is it's about 1200-1300. I'd think a 1400-1500 would be a favorite, but who can really be sure.

"you really have to be quite bad at chess to ever lose with a rook advantage against anyone. just play defensively and force a bunch of trades -- they don't all even have to be even -- and you'll be unstoppable in the endgame. this is why chess is a terrible game to handicap -- a single pawn advantage would be enough to make any competitive player a favorite against the top gm's in the world."


That's completely wrong on so many levels. Play defensively and just force trades?? If it was that easy, why couldn't you just do that in regular chess and guarantee at least a draw in any game? I consider myself a reasonably competitive player, and I'm quite certain I'd be an underdog with pawn odds against the top GMs (and I'd guess curtains likely would be too, but unsure)."

Anyways, very cool bet overall, wish I coulda gotten in on some of that action. If you're up for more of it, I'll take you on curtains in blitz (EVEN MATERIAL, just give me 3 to 2 time odds), and I'll take some of your newfound $8k off of you





lololol


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
darom03
don't call me, I'll call you


Reged: 09/10/05
Posts: 1314
Loc: Not USA!!! \o/
Re: Durrr in process of losing 60k+ in a chess bet.. good month for ra [Re: almostbusto]
      #10986162 - 06/29/07 06:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

speaking of chess and grandmasters, check this gangsta shiet out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evZmpsl3jI0




nh




One of the comments on Youtube were spot on (for once!):

"so he watched the first table where his opponent moved a white pawn, and decided not to respond because he had to do the same move at table 5 first. And person 1 didn't ask any questions why he was running of when it was his turn ??

Then at table 5, he is standing there and waiting for his opponent to respond with a black move, and right after he did, he just runs off (when it's his turn again)

Lol, I can't believe none of those smart grandmasters figured out what was going on ."

Come on! They had to figure it out somewhere down the line.




do you have any ideas on how he figured out how many pieces would be left on the board when the game concluded? or was that bit of the trick actually setup?




The envelope thing is an old school magic trick seen plenty of times before. Instead of a sheet of paper in an envelope it could be that card you just signed from the deck etc.

What really puzzles me is how he beat the President of a chess club. That should mean that he actually is quite good at chess. I don't think he cheated on that one.

But the main problem with this trick is to actually trick eight masters of the game to believe they are not playing each other. I am sure they caught up with the scam and just acted out the rest.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
curtains
Carpal \'Tunnel


Reged: 05/04/03
Posts: 13960
Loc: Philadelphia
Re: Durrr in process of losing 60k+ in a chess bet.. good month for ra [Re: curtains]
      #10986164 - 06/29/07 06:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm not sure exactly where the rating cutoff for someone like curtains to be still be a favorite against with rook odds, but my guess is it's about 1200-1300. I'd think a 1400-1500 would be a favorite, but who can really be sure.

"you really have to be quite bad at chess to ever lose with a rook advantage against anyone. just play defensively and force a bunch of trades -- they don't all even have to be even -- and you'll be unstoppable in the endgame. this is why chess is a terrible game to handicap -- a single pawn advantage would be enough to make any competitive player a favorite against the top gm's in the world."


That's completely wrong on so many levels. Play defensively and just force trades?? If it was that easy, why couldn't you just do that in regular chess and guarantee at least a draw in any game? I consider myself a reasonably competitive player, and I'm quite certain I'd be an underdog with pawn odds against the top GMs (and I'd guess curtains likely would be too, but unsure)."

Anyways, very cool bet overall, wish I coulda gotten in on some of that action. If you're up for more of it, I'll take you on curtains in blitz (EVEN MATERIAL, just give me 3 to 2 time odds), and I'll take some of your newfound $8k off of you





lololol





No [censored] way in hell Im an underdog against the top GM's with pawn odds, especially if I can choose the pawn. Pretty sure I would book action on myself against Kramnik for sure if he starts without his f7-pawn.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Lalu
stranger


Reged: 12/19/05
Posts: 22
Re: Durrr in process of losing 60k+ in a chess bet.. good month for ra [Re: curtains]
      #10986227 - 06/29/07 07:02 AM

Well my assumption was it would be the a or h pawn handicapped, obv if it was f pawn or one of the two center pawns big difference. I would honestly take kramnik vs. you if it was the a or h pawn. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong. In any case regarding your previous post, your lolol, you laughing it off cause you're scared, or you will to take the challenge? Don't be afraid now, you don't want to have to be remembered for backing out of a match like your pal Donny

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
curtains
Carpal \'Tunnel


Reged: 05/04/03
Posts: 13960
Loc: Philadelphia
Re: Durrr in process of losing 60k+ in a chess bet.. good month for ra [Re: Lalu]
      #10986305 - 06/29/07 07:14 AM

Quote:

Well my assumption was it would be the a or h pawn handicapped, obv if it was f pawn or one of the two center pawns big difference. I would honestly take kramnik vs. you if it was the a or h pawn. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong. In any case regarding your previous post, your lolol, you laughing it off cause you're scared, or you will to take the challenge? Don't be afraid now, you don't want to have to be remembered for backing out of a match like your pal Donny




a or h pawn is different story but I still feel relatively good, but of course a bit less confident

Lalu Ill give you 3:00 to 2:50


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: << 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | >> (show all)



Extra information
0 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mat Sklansky, jman220, Nick B., Mike Haven, Mike Haven 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 17691

Rate this topic

Jump to

contact us 2+2 Publishing

Powered by UBB.threads™ 6.5.5


Message Boards and Forums Directory

Pages provided by ConJelCo