Favorite Links
Feedback
Advertising Information
Home
Posting Hints
Privacy Notice
Forum Archives

The 2+2 Forums

Before using this Forum, please refer to the Terms and Conditions (Last modified: 2/26/2006)

Be sure to read the   Two Plus Two Internet Magazine

This is an archive. The main forums are here

These forums are read only.

UBB.threads™ Groupee, Inc.

Other Topics >> Video Games

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | >> (show all)
ADK
old hand

Reged: 09/04/06
Loc: bean flicking
mass effect
      #12906189 - 11/11/07 01:20 PM

whats the big deal about this game? everyone is raving about it and really overhyping it.. i watched some videos and dont see what the fuss is about

anyone want to explain?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
nutsflopper
veteran

Reged: 02/13/06
Loc: traveling
Re: mass effect [Re: ADK]
      #12906206 - 11/11/07 01:21 PM

It's like halo 3 for dorks

ADK
old hand

Re: mass effect [Re: nutsflopper]
      #12906268 - 11/11/07 01:25 PM

halo 3 is really crap though

chuckleslovakian
Fawlty

Reged: 08/21/05
Loc: Saving Sinners
      #12906375 - 11/11/07 01:34 PM

play Knights of the Old Republic, Neverwinter Nights, Baldurs Gate, Baldurs Gate 2, Jade Empire, and then the answer becomes clear

nutsflopper
veteran

Reged: 02/13/06
Loc: traveling
      #12906502 - 11/11/07 01:41 PM

Quote:

halo 3 is really crap though

chuckleslovakian
Fawlty

Re: mass effect [Re: nutsflopper]
      #12906621 - 11/11/07 01:48 PM

As for an actual answer, a large part of the fun in Mass Effect will come from the choices the game forces you to make and the consequences they cause in the game world. Also a grand story and a good cast of characters are also standard for Bioware RPGs. Things that can not be shown in videos. But seriously, all those other games I mentioned earlier should be dirt cheap and are all rpg classics

Number27
veteran

Reged: 02/26/06
Re: mass effect [Re: chuckleslovakian]
      #12906915 - 11/11/07 02:07 PM

Quote:

As for an actual answer, a large part of the fun in Mass Effect will come from the choices the game forces you to make and the consequences they cause in the game world. Also a grand story and a good cast of characters are also standard for Bioware RPGs. Things that can not be shown in videos. But seriously, all those other games I mentioned earlier should be dirt cheap and are all rpg classics

I'm actually replaying Jade Empire right now. I wish I could save the whole thing to the HD and get rid of the load time.

Dire
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 11/14/05
Re: mass effect [Re: Number27]
      #12907534 - 11/11/07 02:52 PM

Pretty much impossible to do an RPG justice in a screenshot, or even a short video/demo. Like others said, try out some of the other Bioware RPGs and you can get a pretty good feel for their style.

zyrrth
old hand

Reged: 01/19/07
      #12908470 - 11/11/07 04:00 PM

Quote:

whats the big deal about this game?

it's the new bioware rpg

jah7_fsu1
veteran

Reged: 08/16/05
Re: mass effect [Re: zyrrth]
      #12916817 - 11/12/07 01:22 AM

Quote:

whats the big deal about this game?

Quote:

it's the new bioware rpg.

Considering the last console game released by them got a a 9.9 on IGN it's a pretty big deal on who it's coming from alone.

ThaSaltCracka
Brotha TSC

Reged: 09/10/03
Loc: Team Slayer!
Re: mass effect [Re: jah7_fsu1]
      #12917554 - 11/12/07 02:06 AM

I wish they would make something like Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance for the 360. That game [censored] ruled.

AceLuby
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 05/08/06
Loc: Rockin my new guitar instead o...
Re: mass effect [Re: ThaSaltCracka]
      #12920294 - 11/12/07 10:13 AM

Quote:

I wish they would make something like Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance for the 360. That game [censored] ruled.

I liked it, but it was so damn short and WAY too easy IMO. If they made it like 10 times longer w/ the ability to actually have so customizability it would be a great game.

These guys put out such sick games. I can't wait for this to come out. Between this and Assassins Creed I'm not going to have a life.

Tinga
old hand

Reged: 11/25/04
Loc: minus the 81
Re: mass effect [Re: AceLuby]
      #12920522 - 11/12/07 10:39 AM

some k-marts have broken street date for this game, if anyone is interested in picking this up early.

YMMV

Dire
Carpal \'Tunnel

#12920880 - 11/12/07 11:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I liked it, but it was so damn short and WAY too easy IMO. If they made it like 10 times longer w/ the ability to actually have so customizability it would be a great game.

These guys put out such sick games. I can't wait for this to come out. Between this and Assassins Creed I'm not going to have a life.

Thinking of the right game? Dark Alliance was very challenging on hard, and one of the most challenging games I've played on the insane difficulty unlocked after Drizzit's minigame - especially if you start out a new character. It was also a reasonable length game, with a ton of replayability. You might be thinking of the sequel. It was short, easy, bland characters with lame skills, bland story and it lost all the fun gameplay of the original.

In any case, none of those games were developed by Bioware. Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 were developed by Bioware, and only published by Black Isle. Dark Alliance 1 was developed by Snowblind Studios. Dark Alliance 2 was developed by an 'unknown' internal studio from Black Isle apparently an experiment with 'streamlined' development - that didn't turn out so hot.

AceLuby
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: mass effect [Re: Dire]
      #12920913 - 11/12/07 11:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thinking of the right game? Dark Alliance was very challenging on hard, and one of the most challenging games I've played on the insane difficulty unlocked after Drizzit's minigame - especially if you start out a new character. It was also a reasonable length. You might be thinking of the sequel. It was short, easy, bland characters with lame skills, bland story and it lost all the fun gameplay of the original.

In any case, none of those games were developed by Bioware. Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 were developed by Bioware, and only published by Black Isle. Dark Alliance 1 was developed by Snowblind Studios. Dark Alliance 2 was developed by an 'unknown' internal studio from Black Isle apparently an experiment with 'streamlined' development - that didn't turn out so hot.

Yeah, I could be mistaken. The one I played was on the PS2 and was reasonably fun w/ two players, but was really easy and short (about 3 hrs to beat the game, WTF???). Were the other games only released on PC?

ThaSaltCracka
Brotha TSC

#12924855 - 11/12/07 04:11 PM

Dark Alliance took me and one other person probably close to 20hrs to beat. Maybe even more time.

DonkeyKongSr
Best State Ever

Reged: 03/06/06
Loc: Home of Best Hockey Team Ever
      #12925055 - 11/12/07 04:23 PM

I can't find the review, but according to gamerankings.com there's one review in so far from Gameinformer, a 9.75.

McFatSauce
journeyman

Reged: 10/19/07
Re: mass effect [Re: DonkeyKongSr]
      #12926413 - 11/12/07 05:50 PM

This isn't an fps, and it doesn't multiplayer so I don't see what it has to do with halo.

chuckleslovakian
Fawlty

Re: mass effect [Re: McFatSauce]
      #12927041 - 11/12/07 06:31 PM

Quote:

This isn't an fps, and it doesn't multiplayer so I don't see what it has to do with halo.

He is either an idiot or leveling. Either way ignore that halo comment.

Dire
Carpal \'Tunnel

#12927303 - 11/12/07 06:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thinking of the right game? Dark Alliance was very challenging on hard, and one of the most challenging games I've played on the insane difficulty unlocked after Drizzit's minigame - especially if you start out a new character. It was also a reasonable length. You might be thinking of the sequel. It was short, easy, bland characters with lame skills, bland story and it lost all the fun gameplay of the original.

Yeah, I could be mistaken. The one I played was on the PS2 and was reasonably fun w/ two players, but was really easy and short (about 3 hrs to beat the game, WTF???). Were the other games only released on PC?

Yip, that sounds just about like the sequel. If you had any fun at all playing, you really HAVE to try the original Dark Alliance. Such a great game. Imagine everything about the sequel (except item crafting) only improved by several magnitudes, especially the boss fights.

And yeah, the original Baldur's Gates RPGs were PC only (and some of the best RPGs to date IMO). Bioware's big break (ignoring MDK2) into console gaming was with Knights of the Old Republic.

ThaSaltCracka
Brotha TSC

#12928838 - 11/12/07 08:28 PM

I would love something like Baldurs Gate: DA or something like Kingdom Hearts. Both have had very fun stories to play and great combat systems.

AceLuby
Carpal \'Tunnel

#12986841 - 11/16/07 10:13 AM

Initial reviews are in

Initial Reviews are good

The one bad review said

Quote:

As it is, it's merely very good on several different levels, and is more or less a must-play for RPG fans. It will drive shooter fans completely up the wall, though.

Because of this they gave it an 80, when all other reviews are 90 or above.

DonkeyKongSr
Best State Ever

#12988003 - 11/16/07 11:52 AM

That's a retarded reason to give it a subpar score, "This RPG doesn't play like a FPS, WTF?"

Number27
veteran

Reged: 02/26/06
      #12988425 - 11/16/07 12:28 PM

Quote:

As it is, it's merely very good on several different levels,

If that's the worst thing someone can say about your game you've probably done a good job.

goofyballer
Emo Communist

Reged: 06/12/05
Loc: THESE IZ THE OLD FORUMZ
      #12989377 - 11/16/07 01:41 PM

Quote:

That's a retarded reason to give it a subpar score, "This RPG doesn't play like a FPS, WTF?"

Well, that's a valid point to make when you compare it to an RPG like Oblivion that had pretty much universal appeal.

goofyballer
Emo Communist

#12989796 - 11/16/07 02:11 PM

Does this link work for anyone? Digg says it should have scans of OXM's 10/10 review of ME but I don't see anything.

EDIT: SCANZ!

ThaSaltCracka
Brotha TSC

Re: mass effect [Re: goofyballer]
      #12990308 - 11/16/07 02:47 PM

GIGIGIGIGIGIGITTY!

Dire
Carpal \'Tunnel

#12991199 - 11/16/07 03:55 PM

Quote:

Does this link work for anyone? Digg says it should have scans of OXM's 10/10 review of ME but I don't see anything.

EDIT: SCANZ!

Very nice! Can't wait to see more reviews for this game. Will be incredible if this delivers.

Did anybody get to see the thing on Spike about it? Has the trilogy thing been confirmed? I was worried that might get thrown out the window with EA taking over. Would be so sick if your actions/character in the first game do actually carry over and influence the second game.

Can't wait to go find the pantaloons!!

SBR
old hand

Reged: 10/30/05
      #12994537 - 11/16/07 08:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Well, that's a valid point to make when you compare it to an RPG like Oblivion that had pretty much universal appeal.

Except the combat in Oblivion sucked? So did the leveling? And the story?

EricW
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 06/09/04
Loc: 232 days until my life is comp...
Re: mass effect [Re: SBR]
      #12994611 - 11/16/07 08:40 PM

I hated Oblivion with a passion. It bored me to death. The levels (especially the dungeon type levels) all seemed the same to me. So basically through the whole game, you were going through hundreds and hundreds of dungeons that were the same and really boring.

goofyballer
Emo Communist

Re: mass effect [Re: SBR]
      #12994954 - 11/16/07 09:12 PM

I loved Oblivion until the day I got 3 red lights and lost my hard-earned character so I guess I just feel differently about that then both of you. And even if that's your experience, that doesn't mean that it didn't appeal to fans of other genres (I mean, I'm not usually an RPG player) much better than most RPGs do. Just look at sales #s.

scotchnrocks

Reged: 03/15/06
      #12995696 - 11/16/07 10:22 PM

Quote:

I loved Oblivion until the day I got 3 red lights and lost my hard-earned character so I guess I just feel differently about that then both of you. And even if that's your experience, that doesn't mean that it didn't appeal to fans of other genres (I mean, I'm not usually an RPG player) much better than most RPGs do. Just look at sales #s.

wait, so if your 360 takes a crap, then you lose all of your game save data and achievements? I assumed that stuff was somehow linked to my xboxlive account

KneeCo
Mother FAQer

Reged: 03/15/05
Loc: Kingston, missing Montreal
Re: mass effect [Re: scotchnrocks]
      #12995992 - 11/16/07 10:53 PM

The (tame, weird, human girl/alien girl lesbian) sex scene that has gotten this game barred in Japan

dibbs
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 12/29/04
Loc: Parts Unknown
      #12996074 - 11/16/07 11:02 PM

Quote:

wait, so if your 360 takes a crap, then you lose all of your game save data and achievements? I assumed that stuff was somehow linked to my xboxlive account

Not sure about achievements but game save data is obviously stored locally on your hard drive or MU.

goofyballer
Emo Communist

Re: mass effect [Re: dibbs]
      #12997337 - 11/17/07 01:23 AM

It is. Best Buy is [censored] evil and demanded I give them my HD with all my data on it when I traded my 360 back in for a new one.

My 2nd 360 also got 3 red lights, but since I sent it back to MS they said I could keep the HD. THANKS A LOT BEST BUY YOU DONKS

Shaqizzle
enthusiast

Reged: 08/02/07
Loc: Salt Lake City
      #12997375 - 11/17/07 01:27 AM

I think it looks fun as hell, the only games i've been waiting to play are Mass Effect and GTAIV.

I've always wanted to play a game where you could choose your path, and just jerk off in space.

Hoya
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/19/04
Loc: See God Cole
Re: mass effect [Re: Shaqizzle]
      #13027974 - 11/19/07 11:34 AM

9.6 on TeamXbox, 9.4 on IGN

Dudd
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 09/04/04
Re: mass effect [Re: Hoya]
      #13032047 - 11/19/07 04:22 PM

Well, it just shipped from Gamefly, so I should hopefully have it either tomorrow or Wednesday. Hope it's good.

BrookTrout
journeyman

Reged: 07/09/07
Re: mass effect [Re: Dudd]
      #13041664 - 11/20/07 08:07 AM

Anyone else think that game rankings are becoming more and more a marketing tool? Almost like the video games' version of movie review quotes like "Wildly Entertaining", "This summer's blockbuster movie!" "If you only see one movie this year, make it this one!"...

I've been reading some of the reviews online for this game, from what I used to consider very reputable websites - and while I have yet to play the game - I'm amazed that a reviewer can pan the AI of both enemies and allies during combat, detail some major draw-in issues and still give the game a 9.7/10...

ThaSaltCracka
Brotha TSC

Re: mass effect [Re: BrookTrout]
      #13043075 - 11/20/07 10:58 AM

brook, I agree with you. I think magazines in particular are somewhat dodgy because on one page they have an advertisment for the game and on the next they have a review.

scotchnrocks

Re: mass effect [Re: BrookTrout]
      #13043525 - 11/20/07 11:33 AM

Quote:

Anyone else think that game rankings are becoming more and more a marketing tool? Almost like the video games' version of movie review quotes like "Wildly Entertaining", "This summer's blockbuster movie!" "If you only see one movie this year, make it this one!"...

I've been reading some of the reviews online for this game, from what I used to consider very reputable websites - and while I have yet to play the game - I'm amazed that a reviewer can pan the AI of both enemies and allies during combat, detail some major draw-in issues and still give the game a 9.7/10...

I don't think it is that as much as many of the review sites just flat out suck.

By the time the review is out, most of the marketing is done anyway. And there would have to be a huge conspiracy for game developers to avoid marketing on the major review sites who have negatively reviewed games in the past. The most popular sites have so many revenue streams that it would hardly matter if a developer or three decided to black ball them.

I think it would be more accurate to say there is a standard deviation because reviews are subjective to some degree based on the reviewers preference to certain types of games.

FWIW, the only game I have played recently for the 360 that I thought was misleading based on reviews is Halo 3.

Forza 2 was spot on, Bioshock spot on, COD4 spot.

ThaSaltCracka
Brotha TSC

#13043833 - 11/20/07 11:53 AM

what was misleading about Halo 3?

scotchnrocks

#13044050 - 11/20/07 12:07 PM

Quote:

what was misleading about Halo 3?

Standard run of the mill single player campaign, crappy non-intuitive vehicle controls. The only real innovations are the level editor which I never even used, and the replay system which is also meh cause I can give two [censored] about watching replays of a video game battle save for the occasional youtube of some outrageous kill.

If it didn't have the Halo name, it would have been a 8.6-8.8ish game.

kabouter
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/13/06
Loc: Amsterdam
      #13044306 - 11/20/07 12:23 PM

It's a good game, but on normal difficulty I have no idea how to beat the Gaz guy in the stripbar.

goofyballer
Emo Communist

#13047479 - 11/20/07 04:08 PM

Halo's multiplayer is a 9.8. Its single-player has always sucked.

Dire
Carpal \'Tunnel

#13048429 - 11/20/07 05:01 PM

I think the single player of Halo is just overwhelmed by the multiplayer. Halo single player has one of the best cooperative campaigns of any game I've played. It's just so much fun cruising around in a warthog together, flanking the enemies, etc.. I'm not sure how much it is playing alone, but that's not really an issue now that you can even do coop online.

Definitely not a huge fan of them enabling 'god' mode (if one player dies, the other player can just walk a ways from the enemies and the other player will be 'revived') on Halo 3 legendary coop though. It was very fun and challenging playing through legendary in Halo 2 when neither player could die. Actually, that also might be an issue. The campaign is pretty terrible on normal. On heroic it's mediocre. It really shines on legendary though.

goofyballer
Emo Communist

#13048569 - 11/20/07 05:11 PM

Meh, I played through a decent amount of Halo 2's campaign on co-op and it wasn't much more fun than single player. Gears of War, on the other hand, was ridic fun to play co-op. I think the Zero Punctuation review nailed it about Halo when he said "it seems like the [censored] if you aren't used to better games that have been around for awhile on PC." (paraphrasing)

scotchnrocks

#13048814 - 11/20/07 05:27 PM

Quote:

I think the single player of Halo is just overwhelmed by the multiplayer. Halo single player has one of the best cooperative campaigns of any game I've played. It's just so much fun cruising around in a warthog together, flanking the enemies, etc.. I'm not sure how much it is playing alone, but that's not really an issue now that you can even do coop online.

Definitely not a huge fan of them enabling 'god' mode (if one player dies, the other player can just walk a ways from the enemies and the other player will be 'revived') on Halo 3 legendary coop though. It was very fun and challenging playing through legendary in Halo 2 when neither player could die. Actually, that also might be an issue. The campaign is pretty terrible on normal. On heroic it's mediocre. It really shines on legendary though.

That is a good summary. The game is a big turd if you're not playing it online in some way. And that is fine, but it is also why the game is undeserving of anything over an 8.9/10

jalexand42
Hypothetical Ubermonkey

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Open Pushing my range
      #13049147 - 11/20/07 05:47 PM

Why don't you guys create a halo thread - this is for nerds that want to discuss mass effect. :P

Edit: Picking up game tonight, but probably not playing it before christmas just to not derail life/poker.

Edited by jalexand42 (11/20/07 05:47 PM)

ThaSaltCracka
Brotha TSC

Re: mass effect [Re: jalexand42]
      #13049239 - 11/20/07 05:52 PM

Seriously, give me some first impressions people!

kabouter
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/13/06
Loc: Amsterdam
      #13049875 - 11/20/07 06:30 PM

Quote:

Seriously, give me some first impressions people!

Graphics - Amazing, but the xbox seems to skip frames from time time though. And when Shepard is walking in a non combat zone, he walks really gay.
Sound - Great, voiceacting is awesome
gameplay - probably the best part, it plays like a fps, but when you press rb everything freezes, and you can map your special effects like Lift/Push/Sabotage to different opponents.

Now I'm not really into the sci-fi stuff though so I'm not to enthausiastic about it, but I bet anyone out there who likes star wars will absolutely love this.

Even if your not a big fan of the genre like me, it's still a nice game. But there is a lot of storytelling going on, and if you would skip all of that it probably ends up being a mediocre experience.

And you can auto-level up, which means you never have to worry about your stats as it's done automatically. But most of you will probably want to spend each point manually.

zyrrth
old hand

Re: mass effect [Re: kabouter]
      #13050458 - 11/20/07 07:16 PM

my order has been shipped, weee.

ThaSaltCracka
Brotha TSC

#13051195 - 11/20/07 08:10 PM

haha, your order? I just picked up a copy 10 mins ago w/o a pre-order. n00b.

ThaSaltCracka
Brotha TSC

#13051873 - 11/20/07 09:02 PM

very interesting review on IGN.

TBH, I am glad that you don't really need to control your squad members. I never really enjoy having to control other team mates. However, it sounds like they are kind of stupid as well. Bah.

Looking forward to the sex scene!

Bout to play it when I get home!

Woot!

[censored], stupid class

ThaSaltCracka
Brotha TSC

#13056853 - 11/21/07 03:43 AM

What character did you guys pick?

I went with an Infiltrator, born on Earth, who is known as being ruthless

The combat seems a bit clunky, but wow, the story and dialogue thus far rocks. Its actually fun being a jackass to people in the game.

goofyballer
Emo Communist

#13057938 - 11/21/07 06:36 AM

Quote:

Its actually fun being a jackass to people in the game.

Haha, you would be a jackass.

I only played through the Eden Prime mission so far but very fun and I love all the directions I see the story going.

zyrrth
old hand

#13058057 - 11/21/07 07:02 AM

Quote:

haha, your order? I just picked up a copy 10 mins ago w/o a pre-order. n00b.

europe, noob

ADK
old hand

#13058251 - 11/21/07 07:44 AM

think i might just get this

ThaSaltCracka
Brotha TSC

#13059673 - 11/21/07 10:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Its actually fun being a jackass to people in the game.

Haha, you would be a jackass.

Haha, dude you talk more [censored] in Halo then I do!

My character is just a badass that doesn't [censored] around, although he does like to get his dick wet, which was why he is spitting game to the chick in his crew.

Bostaevski
enthusiast

Reged: 11/03/05
      #13060687 - 11/21/07 12:15 PM

someone help me out... i may have skipped a tutorial or something but what in the hell is the "Buy Back" section for in the stores? It seems like it's my own equipment making me think it's more like "Sell" but there's already a Sell page. I haven't really spent much time in the stores since all the cool equipment costs like 100x more money than I have.

Thug Bubbles
addict

Reged: 05/27/07
Re: mass effect [Re: Bostaevski]
      #13061052 - 11/21/07 12:38 PM

I know that these guys made KOTOR, so I'm curious how the replay value of that game was, and if anybody is deep enough into Mass Effect, what is the replay value of that? I'm just disappointed that I played through Bioshock once in 3 days, and barely made it 1/3 way through again over the course of 2 months.

I'm basically deciding between CoD4 and Mass Effect, and the tipping point would be replay value.

Edited by Thug Bubbles (11/21/07 12:39 PM)

ThaSaltCracka
Brotha TSC

#13061272 - 11/21/07 12:51 PM

maybe its "buying back" stuff you sold? Dunno man.

ThaSaltCracka
Brotha TSC

#13061333 - 11/21/07 12:57 PM

CoD4 has a hella short campaign, but its fun. I am in process of playing it again on Veteran. I imagine I will play select levels over again at some point. The campaign is significantly more fun overall than H3.

As for Mass Effect, I am not far enough in to tell. Its fun so far though.

BTW, there is basically no tutorial for this game. Its some real basic instructions, but thats it.

AceLuby
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: mass effect [Re: Thug Bubbles]
      #13061382 - 11/21/07 01:01 PM

Quote:

I know that these guys made KOTOR, so I'm curious how the replay value of that game was, and if anybody is deep enough into Mass Effect, what is the replay value of that? I'm just disappointed that I played through Bioshock once in 3 days, and barely made it 1/3 way through again over the course of 2 months.

I'm basically deciding between CoD4 and Mass Effect, and the tipping point would be replay value.

KOTOR has a lot of replay value. Both of them are great, plus there are like 6-8 different combinations of characters you can choose from. Throughout the game decisions will affect how good or bad you are which gives different options during the game and have an affect on the force powers you have. One of my top 5 games ever, easily.

If Mass Effect has half as much replay value I'd go w/ that. Personally I think it's a no brainer between an RPG made from these guys or a FPS.

I'm having a tougher decision between this and Uncharted...

DonkeyKongSr
Best State Ever

#13061424 - 11/21/07 01:06 PM

Yeah, KOTOR needed to be played at a very minimum 2 times. Once playing as the Light Side and once as the Dark Side. The game played like a completely fresh game when you switched from one to the other. Then I guess you could play as something more in the middle for another experience. Dialog changed so much from one extreme to the other. You could feel people's reactions to you being drastically different, plus you could just [censored] with people as the Dark Side.

JuntMonkey
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 05/27/05
      #13062304 - 11/21/07 02:07 PM

The X-Play review on G4TV said that with this game you basically HAVE to replay it, and twice might not even be enough.

Dire
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: mass effect [Re: JuntMonkey]
      #13062341 - 11/21/07 02:10 PM

Tough deciding between this and Uncharted? Cute

I just picked it up. Don't really wanna get started though since I'm catching a flight in 6 hours. I wonder if the different endings are based on your character type (sole survivor / etc ) or just how you play the game. Gahh.. so want to start playing it.

Corpsebean
old hand

Reged: 09/05/05
Loc: Sobbing in a fetal position.
Re: mass effect [Re: JuntMonkey]
      #13062876 - 11/21/07 02:43 PM

Quote:

The X-Play review on G4TV said that with this game you basically HAVE to replay it, and twice might not even be enough.

This is good since I noticed there are a couple achievements for spending the majority of the game with each companion. It would be nice to have an actual reason other than that to play through multiple times.

ThaSaltCracka
Brotha TSC

Re: mass effect [Re: Corpsebean]
      #13064059 - 11/21/07 04:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

This is good since I noticed there are a couple achievements for spending the majority of the game with each companion. It would be nice to have an actual reason other than that to play through multiple times.

Well even only being two hours in, you can tell the experience changes vastly based on your created character.

About 3 or 4 people referrenced my characters experience on Turian(?) when I "Did what I had to do" to get the job done. I mean, those conversations either don't happen with a different character, or the other events are referenced.

goofyballer
Emo Communist

#13064343 - 11/21/07 04:22 PM

Quote:

About 3 or 4 people referrenced my characters experience on Turian(?)

Akuze, I think. It's possible this is an intentional vague reference, as your psychological profile or whatever (Sole Survivor, War Hero, or the other one) I *think* only affect how the events on Akuze went down; however that was, you're still some kind of hero for what happened there.

zyrrth
old hand

#13064868 - 11/21/07 04:57 PM

k just played 2 hours to the point where you become a spectre as a vanguard and decided to start new as a soldier. pretty swett so far.

ThaSaltCracka
Brotha TSC

#13066091 - 11/21/07 06:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

About 3 or 4 people referrenced my characters experience on Turian(?)

Akuze, I think. It's possible this is an intentional vague reference, as your psychological profile or whatever (Sole Survivor, War Hero, or the other one) I *think* only affect how the events on Akuze went down; however that was, you're still some kind of hero for what happened there.

You sure its Akuze?

goofyballer
Emo Communist

#13066706 - 11/21/07 07:23 PM

I picked Sole Survivor and Akuze is the planet where there was some big attack and you were the only dude that got out alive. If they did pick different planet names for the War Hero/other thing then I guess my theory is wrong.

Turians are the upper-class alien race of the Council (Nihlus was one of them).

Grinding2Ecstasy
enthusiast

Reged: 10/11/07
Loc: FR and Bloggin'
      #13068659 - 11/21/07 10:18 PM

just bought it over assassins creed, hope i made a good choice :P

Grinding2Ecstasy
enthusiast

Re: mass effect [Re: Grinding2Ecstasy]
      #13071797 - 11/22/07 04:44 AM

what do you guys think of the 'film grain' visual effect? I thought something was wrong with my screen, then realized you can turn off the effect in the menu.

pennpal
Thread Cat Picasso

Reged: 01/13/06
Loc: penn
Re: mass effect [Re: KneeCo]
      #13072377 - 11/22/07 06:55 AM

Quote:

The (tame, weird, human girl/alien girl lesbian) sex scene that has gotten this game barred in Japan

more 'steamy' version. weird on a few levels

JackWilson
old hand

Reged: 02/01/05
      #13072541 - 11/22/07 07:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Well, that's a valid point to make when you compare it to an RPG like Oblivion that pretty much appealed to idiots of universal proportions.

FYP.

Seriously, it was pretty clear after only playing the game for a couple of hours that it was worse than Morrowind by some magnitude, and Morrowind already had problems.

Seriously, the game hasn't changed since Daggerfall, and when it has it's been for the worse.

Looking forward to any new Bioware stuff though (back on topic).

JackWilson
old hand

Reged: 02/01/05
Re: mass effect [Re: Corpsebean]
      #13072559 - 11/22/07 07:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I like these types of things (Chrono Trigger, Deus Ex etc) in games but I think of them more as a reason to replay the game when choosing something to play during a drought of good games. Few things are gonna make me play a game through again straight off the bat.

Heisenb3rg
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/28/05
      #13074426 - 11/22/07 12:34 PM

I used to be obsessed with video games and play wayy too often...
Now I just play/beat the games that get rave reviews... Also a big RPG fan.

So I bought mass effect and... I dont think ive been this addicted to a game since oblivion.
After about 10 hours of play I think I could put this in my top 10 favorite RPGs of all time.

The old snes squaresoft rpgs (chronotrigger, FF2 & 3) dominate the list, but this game comes up there.

If you like RPGs BUY THE GAME

goofyballer
Emo Communist

Re: mass effect [Re: JackWilson]
      #13075016 - 11/22/07 01:39 PM

Quote:

Seriously, it was pretty clear after only playing the game for a couple of hours that it was worse than Morrowind by some magnitude, and Morrowind already had problems.

Worse than Morrowind, sure, but no way can you say it's "by some magnitude." I think you're over-exaggerating your personal displeasure with a controversial design choice (the leveling system) the devs made. Acting like Oblivion is the bastard child of a severely flawed RPG is a pretty big mischaracterization of a solid followup to one of the best games of all time.

pr0crast
Sticky master

Reged: 12/19/05
Loc: Tucson
      #13075447 - 11/22/07 02:23 PM

This game is great because unlike most RPGs (or even movies), the writing and voice acting is really good. Really top notch in that aspect. Very polished game.

Grinding2Ecstasy
enthusiast

Re: mass effect [Re: pr0crast]
      #13077754 - 11/22/07 07:08 PM

im LOVING this so far, took a few hours to get the hang of it, but man this game was incredibly well made.

RiverFenix
faking winning cars

Reged: 12/18/04
Loc: IM FROM THE GHETTO HOMIE
      #13077866 - 11/22/07 07:19 PM

Damn I guess ill buy this over the weekend. Keep posting reviews & comments theyre appreciated.

Bostaevski
enthusiast

Reged: 11/03/05
Re: mass effect [Re: RiverFenix]
      #13085283 - 11/23/07 02:05 PM

it's pretty good... feels very much like KOTOR and nothing like Oblivion.

2 minor issues I have:
1) The whole "revolutionary dialog system" they've been touting in this game... i just don't see it. It's a pretty standard dialog mechanism where you can say things that are nice or evil and you can explore various conversation paths. Sometimes you get XP or new entries in your codex if you do enough talking.

2) The levels are, for the most part, beautifully rendered but they generally seem pretty sterile. There's nothing included that adds life or intimacy... i.e. a coffee mug on a desk, a book, personal affects, etc. I also think the planets that you can land on (so far at least) are pretty boring. They feel very "90's graphics". I have been driving around on at least one planet that had indigenous life and there were no trees, plants, etc.... just some "monkeys" walking around that looked more like possums.

Dire
Carpal \'Tunnel

#13087529 - 11/23/07 06:18 PM

Just got back from turkey day. Anyhow, first impressions:

So far I am really liking how the dialog really is dynamic. Something that's nice is that you don't just say what you click on. You click the gist of a feeling, but what's said/done is something entirely different.

I also like that the good/evil actions aren't so timid this time around. Depending on what you do, you can go from being a sickeningly benevolent angel to a huge randomly murdering/assaulting dick or anywhere in between. It does just come down to this choice (the red one!) makes you evil, this choice (the blue one!) makes you good - but it is done exceptionally well.

Will comment on exploration/combat after I've gotten deeper into the game. So far this game is seriously delivering.

ThaSaltCracka
Brotha TSC

#13093598 - 11/24/07 04:05 AM

******SPOILER BELOW IN WHITE*******

I shot Tombs

Anyone else?

This game is fun, but the combat takes some getting use to. Your teammates are pretty dumb as well.

Shaqizzle
enthusiast

#13101703 - 11/24/07 10:19 PM

I've beaten it once already, I'm playing on Hardcore mode now. Lets see, I punched a reporter in the face, had sex with an alien, actually felt remorse when I couldn't stop from killing Wrex because I didn't have enough charm / intimidation. . I have played around 8 hours only doing side quests and haven't even done the 3rd mission. And I'm still having as much fun as I did the first time, this game is truly epic.

zyrrth
old hand

#13102463 - 11/24/07 11:28 PM

lol i just did the the interview, didn't know you could knock her out, gotta try that next time.

ThaSaltCracka
Brotha TSC

#13103237 - 11/25/07 12:25 AM

wow, beaten it already????

zac777

Reged: 09/02/04
Loc: CA
      #13105866 - 11/25/07 05:12 AM

Seems like a solid game so far...

FYI high stakes quasar in the casino is +EV. If it didn't take so long to display the next number or you could play higher stakes (maybe later in the game? I just started) then it might be worthwhile. I guess if you need a little extra cash this might help out.

Optimal strategy is:
0-2: hit 4-7
3-5: hit 1-8
6-8: hit 4-7
9-12: hit 1-8
13-15: hit 4-7
16: hit 1-8
17+: stay

You win 44 bucks per game, so it only takes 20 games to earn enough to buy terrible armor or something equally worthless. Yes!!

zyrrth
old hand

Re: mass effect [Re: zac777]
      #13108348 - 11/25/07 01:16 PM

You become a serious killing machine once you get the decent weapons, also Spoiler: i just finished the mission where you have to decide whether you want to kill the arachni queen or set her free and I gotta say that it was one tough decision to make

Shaqizzle
enthusiast

#13108844 - 11/25/07 02:03 PM

Quote:

wow, beaten it already????

Well, I didn't do any side quests at all my first time beating it, now all I'm doing this go around are side quests for the achievement.

Is it just me, or is the sniper rifle useless in 95% of the game, you can maybe get one shot off before you get ambushed and then it's useless.

RiverFenix
faking winning cars

#13112931 - 11/25/07 07:18 PM

Games great will post more thoughts after I've beaten it. Just completed the 3 main planet quests after leaving Citadel.

Please watch this gameplay footage starting at 3:35 (should be familiar scene to most). It looks like theyve changed the HUD some but how does he bring up that menu to place his squads cover? I'm constantly running into problems with my utility classes running out in the open in a firefight (even using up dpad) or advancing ahead of my stronger classes (when using left dpad). Anyway, I hope that cover option is still in the game (I've missed it somehow).

ThaSaltCracka
Brotha TSC

#13115047 - 11/25/07 09:41 PM

Quote:

Is it just me, or is the sniper rifle useless in 95% of the game, you can maybe get one shot off before you get ambushed and then it's useless.

I've used it a bunch

ThaSaltCracka
Brotha TSC

#13115304 - 11/25/07 09:54 PM

Just want to add, if you pick the persona who is ruthless, the event in question occurs on Tarfan,or something like that.

goofyballer
Emo Communist

#13119395 - 11/26/07 01:38 AM

Through about 6 hours of playtime I've done the Eden Prime mission, ran around the Citadel, and did two side missions to random uncharted planets. I think this is gonna be another Oblivion for me.

No sex with hot asaris yet.

zyrrth
old hand

#13120247 - 11/26/07 02:42 AM

I'm 16 hours in and I gotta say the game is pretty short if you focus on the main missions, after doing a couple of sidequests I decided to focus on the mainquest and almost finished the main storyline in 1 sitting. There's tons of replayvalue to be found though with all the decisions you are forced to make.

Also the fights are too easy or my character is a ultra killing machine, the only time I died in the last ~8 hours was after i stormed into a room with 3 geth destroyers in it.

Oh yeah, and the driving sequences are annoying as hell imo.

Still the best game I played this year.

reo
old hand

Reged: 01/14/05
      #13121077 - 11/26/07 10:40 AM

Quote:

I'm 16 hours in and I gotta say the game is pretty short if you focus on the main missions, after doing a couple of sidequests I decided to focus on the mainquest and almost finished the main storyline in 1 sitting. There's tons of replayvalue to be found though with all the decisions you are forced to make.

What level were you upon completion?

ThaSaltCracka
Brotha TSC

Re: mass effect [Re: reo]
      #13121217 - 11/26/07 10:55 AM

How many total "missions" are there? I have done three so far. Eden Prime, Feros, and Noverian.

I've landed on probably 6 planets, surveyed a ton, and done little to know side quests. I am about 12 hours in.

ThaSaltCracka
Brotha TSC

#13121236 - 11/26/07 10:57 AM

Quote:

You become a serious killing machine once you get the decent weapons, also Spoiler: i just finished the mission where you have to decide whether you want to kill the arachni queen or set her free and I gotta say that it was one tough decision to make

no [censored]

Spoiler

I let it live
This is of course after I have already shot two people in cold blood.

Thug Bubbles
addict

Reged: 05/27/07
      #13124877 - 11/26/07 03:35 PM

What classes did you guys pick, and what's you're experiences so far? I'm thinking of starting over as a Vanguard (initially picked Soldier)

grouchie
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 09/19/04
Loc: FPPs - I collect 'em
      #13124889 - 11/26/07 03:36 PM

what is the combat like in this game?

It is the same style of combat of Baulders Gate? Is it more traditional RPG Combat?

just curious, thanks.

Thinking about going out to pick it up later today possibly

ThaSaltCracka
Brotha TSC

Re: mass effect [Re: grouchie]
      #13125353 - 11/26/07 04:06 PM

The closest thing I can compare the combat to is Kingdom Hearts, very much a hybrid action/RPG.

You can literally "pause" the action and select targets to apply "spells" to. You can also pause action to switch weapons. Its not like Baldurs Gate, because that was more action, and its not turned based at all like a regular RPG.

The system takes some adjusting, but man, its pretty damn sweet once you get it down.

Thug, I picked the Infiltrator class. I am enjoying it quite a bit. You have a lot of tech skills so decryption is easier. You also have decent combat skills. I would like to be able to train with the assualt rifle, but the pistol and sniper rifle work well. I also really like being able to use Damping, Sabotage, and Overlord against opponents.

I am seriously leaning torwards using something with Biotic powers next time through simply because throwing and lifting people is [censored] awesome and funny.

Soldier strikers me as very straightforward, but I haven't tried it.

Shaqizzle
enthusiast

#13126235 - 11/26/07 04:59 PM

Hit level 50 so now I can buy the master spectre gear/weapons, but I already had a better piece of armor on my main guy. Which made me go wtf, I guess Predator X is better than Titan X.

It does look alot cooler though I must say, its metallic black with red stripes, pretty badass.

RiverFenix
faking winning cars

#13127063 - 11/26/07 05:55 PM

Some gameplay tips i read on the ign forums. No spoilers.

Also when driving the Mako hold down LT then click in the Right Stick for a scoped view.

After you complete primary objectives on Therum, Noveria or Feros many new side assignments open, as well as random codex to find mainly at the Citadel (Docks for example Normandy codex)

Maxing out Paragon or Renagade points also unlock new side assignments (Using these skills also unlocks spaces in your stats to add LVL points to them) You should only go for Paragon or Renagade during your first career, 75 points in each is not possible your first go around.

Scholar achievement can be done talking with crew/people on the Normandy and Citadel (also talk to the tour VI's in the Citadel) you can achieve this before any major story line.

To reach LVL 60 you must finish the Main story and choose to "continue" your career from the start.

Any Ally achievment (Krogan Ally for example) you must have this member in your squad for the majority of your career this means more then the main story line!

Earning the Rich achievment will unlock something.

goofyballer
Emo Communist

#13127200 - 11/26/07 06:04 PM

Are Paragon/Renegade points simply measures of how often you use the upper right versus bottom right conversation options?

Shaqizzle
enthusiast

#13127490 - 11/26/07 06:24 PM

Yes, and in the Squad point screen, Charm is for Paragon, Intimidation for Renegade. After you get spectre status though.

High enough points in either allow you to take a paragon/renegade conversation, which usually at the end of the conversation will net you additional points for whichever you chose.

Spoiler - If you have high enough intimidation or charm, you can save Wrex from Virmire, It says if you do the side quest Wrex's Family Armor, it helps even more.

zyrrth
old hand

#13127941 - 11/26/07 06:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

What level were you upon completion?

I'm at 38 now with a soldier/shock trooper and about to do the last mission. Haven't gotten the finished 50% achievement yet tho so there's lots of stuff left for my next game.

ThaSaltCracka
Brotha TSC

#13128197 - 11/26/07 07:14 PM

Quote:

Are Paragon/Renegade points simply measures of how often you use the upper right versus bottom right conversation options?

not completely, you can gain point for either based on actions in game as well.

zyrrth
old hand

#13128417 - 11/26/07 07:29 PM

does anybody have a link that lists all the prestige classes you can unlock?
also i read theres a way to unlock a talent for your class that you usually can't pick, like singularity for a soldier, anybody know how?

ThaSaltCracka
Brotha TSC

#13129877 - 11/26/07 09:00 PM

Prestige classes? The [censored]?

RiverFenix
faking winning cars

#13130027 - 11/26/07 09:09 PM

Also from same poster on ign forum.

All Achievements that require 75 uses or 150 shots unlock bonus attributes for new characters.
Beat Veteran unlock hardcore.. harcore unlock insane... Gamer pics and bonus stats. DO NOT CHANGE THE DIFFICULTY LVL AT ANY TIME AFTER EDEN PRIME TO EARN THESE.

RiverFenix
faking winning cars

#13130189 - 11/26/07 09:23 PM

Just finished Vermire. Hope I played it ok. Major spoiler discussions in white.

Didnt kill Wrex, had maxed out charm. Didnt take him in my party though, did he have any good dialog?
Saved Ashley but I don't really use her or Kaiden. I think Kaiden is better but I wanted to keep ashley for romance plot.
How does the fight with Saren end, set timer? I had him down really low on health and my party was completely fine then he just flew really far back and then they did a cut scene where he was somehow in my face.

Who saved who? I can't believe you could really be out two party members after that level if you didn't have the charm/intimidate to save Wrex.

Also the 150 inventory slots is really annoying w/ how pointless the goo is if you're a engy or always have Tali.

zyrrth
old hand

#13130367 - 11/26/07 09:36 PM

Spoiler: " yeh, also charmed wrex and let kaiden die, never used any any of the 3 in my party, always use garrus and liara"

yeah the 150 items limit is killing me, i got tons of gel and had to turn a good armor into gel once because i didn't notice my inventory was full. It's especially bad after a mako sequence because you pick up so much stuff during these.

ThaSaltCracka
Brotha TSC

#13130563 - 11/26/07 09:50 PM

Yea, I have a minor beef with the whole inventory system. Selling things is largely pointless as well, since most of it is worth [censored]. The money aspect of this game is a bit annoying.

ThaSaltCracka
Brotha TSC

#13136899 - 11/27/07 10:51 AM

I am about half way to a million credits!

Berge20
Mod of the nits

Reged: 06/23/04
Loc: Grinding Away
      #13137347 - 11/27/07 11:33 AM

I was randomly watching X-play and took their advice and immediately went out and bought it.

No regrets at all so far. Not finished with the main storyline, as I am easily distracted, but happy with things and really looking forward to trying a different character skill set next time.

4ObliVioN4
old hand

Reged: 03/28/07
Loc: Getting stacked
Re: mass effect [Re: Berge20]
      #13137859 - 11/27/07 12:21 PM

How long is this game taking you guys to beat? I was hoping through the main story and a decent amount of side quests it would be a 40-60 hour game. Seems like some of you have gotten through it pretty quickly.

zyrrth
old hand

Re: mass effect [Re: 4ObliVioN4]
      #13138367 - 11/27/07 01:05 PM

If you just play the main questline it's prolly ~9 hours, but you could also spent 20 hours on random quests before doing the second main mission so it's up to you.

jkamowitz

Reged: 06/10/04
Re: mass effect [Re: 4ObliVioN4]
      #13138564 - 11/27/07 01:19 PM

Quote:

How long is this game taking you guys to beat? I was hoping through the main story and a decent amount of side quests it would be a 40-60 hour game. Seems like some of you have gotten through it pretty quickly.

I have about 4 hours of play and I just left the presidium (where the game really begins)

There's a ton of dialogue to listen to and a ton of things to do if you don't mind waiting to conquer the main quest.

ThaSaltCracka
Brotha TSC

Re: mass effect [Re: jkamowitz]
      #13138746 - 11/27/07 01:34 PM

12.5 hours in, don't think I am close. Been doing a lot of side quests and landing on other planets.

Dire
Carpal \'Tunnel

#13139540 - 11/27/07 02:29 PM

I'm about 15 hours in and haven't done anything related to the main quest since I left the citadel. And I still have only explored just a fraction of all the planets there are. I'm really just enjoying the game and exploring all it has to offer.

Berge20
Mod of the nits

#13139749 - 11/27/07 02:44 PM

edit: potential spoiler in white.

Bez just demolished me on my first encounter. It wasn't even close. Ha

Edited by JaredL (11/27/07 09:15 PM)

goofyballer
Emo Communist

#13140031 - 11/27/07 03:03 PM

^ = spoiler imo plz white out (since I think I know the character you're talking about but have no idea you fight them later)

Beavis68
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 05/05/04
Loc: AZ
      #13140556 - 11/27/07 03:37 PM

what kind of system do you need to play this decently? i have an E6700, 2GB DDR2 800 and a 7600GS.

dibbs
Carpal \'Tunnel

Reged: 12/29/04
Loc: Parts Unknown
Re: mass effect [Re: Beavis68]
      #13140719 - 11/27/07 03:47 PM

Quote:

what kind of system do you need to play this decently? i have an E6700, 2GB DDR2 800 and a 7600GS.

You need an Xbox 360.

ThaSaltCracka
Brotha TSC

#13140997 - 11/27/07 04:04 PM

Quote:

Bez just demolished me on my first encounter. It wasn't even close. Ha

took me a few tries, very tricky.

Have to stick and move, I went to the right after stopping the first wave. If you have a biotic, Stasis helps on that person.

zyrrth
old hand

#13141219 - 11/27/07 04:17 PM

are you guys playing on veteran? i won that battle the first time i played it and i play combat basically the way i play gears of war without telling my party what to do.

ThaSaltCracka
Brotha TSC

#13141700 - 11/27/07 04:47 PM

could depend on your character type.

RiverFenix
faking winning cars

#13143455 - 11/27/07 06:44 PM

Took me 40 hours to beat the game all in all. Finished at level 49 w/ every quest complete except for the pointless find minerals one.

I'm going to put this one aside for a week and then come back and try to beat it real quick as a renegade. Awesome game will def be buying the rest of the trilogy.

ThaSaltCracka
Brotha TSC

#13145186 - 11/27/07 08:34 PM

the minerals get you xp!

xxrod17xx
old hand

Reged: 09/27/06
Loc: Grinding out the Micro's
      #13147782 - 11/27/07 11:28 PM

I have been playing this a lot just beating the side missions to pass time and not beat the game too quickly, but I came into a bit of a problem. One one of the assignments is the "Fan" one. I am suppose to talk to a guy somewhere in the Citadel but I cant find him. I talked to a fan and gave him an autograph, but I think this is what triggered the assignment. Thoughts ideas?

xxrod17xx
old hand

Reged: 09/27/06
Loc: Grinding out the Micro's
Re: mass effect [Re: xxrod17xx]
      #13147802 - 11/27/07 11:29 PM

Also the easiest way to get money is to just survey all the planets in the systems you are traveling through. It gives you xp and cash...makes purchasing anything easy I had 500K before I even really started playing the actual storyline.

Shaqizzle
enthusiast

#13149217 - 11/28/07 01:11 AM

Side quest :The Fan is one you do over a length of time, check back after you do your next main storyline mission or side quest one.

goofyballer
Emo Communist

#13151336 - 11/28/07 05:23 AM

Yeah, for the fan leave the Citadel and then come back.

One thing which is starting to get on my nerves is how slow first aid is to respond. If I suddenly find myself getting shot at from 20 different angles and my shields get depleted, I'm basically dead, because by the time I can use first aid and whip out a Shield Boost I'm [censored] dead and it's time to load up the old saved game.

Also irritating that if I'm not on top of saving after every battle I have to replay long portions of the game if I die. Autosave intervals could have been decreased by a lot.

That said, I can't stop playing. In the middle of the Noveria mission, holy crap that's long.

reo
old hand

#13151407 - 11/28/07 05:39 AM

Quote:

Took me 40 hours to beat the game all in all. Finished at level 49 w/ every quest complete except for the pointless find minerals one.

I'm going to put this one aside for a week and then come back and try to beat it real quick as a renegade. Awesome game will def be buying the rest of the trilogy.

I guess the achievement for level 60 must be on veteran then . . .

zyrrth
old hand

#13151974 - 11/28/07 07:56 AM

http://kotaku.com/gaming/bioware/did-mass-effect-crash-land-327105.php

there's one mild spoiler about an event on Virmire so it might be better to read it after finishing the planet.

Daer
journeyman

Reged: 05/30/07
Loc: Canada
      #13152492 - 11/28/07 09:30 AM

I'm at exactly the 25 hour mark and just finished all the side quests. I'm about to start the main quests at lvl 31 with 1.7 million creds. It'll be nice to start the main quests with my main talents maxed out and Spectre weapons.

Surveying is an excellent way to get money, look around on planets you land on, there are usually 2-3 unmarked survey nodes on each.

Berge20
Mod of the nits

Re: mass effect [Re: Daer]
      #13152696 - 11/28/07 09:59 AM

I just now realized that the elevator on the ship takes you down to the lower decks and not up to the main one....

This is after 25 hours of play. I wondered why the ship was so small.

ThaSaltCracka
Brotha TSC

#13153267 - 11/28/07 11:01 AM

Yeah, spit game at the honey in the bottom.

Daer, good call man. I haven't done all the side quests, but I have done a good portion. I believe my Character is around lvl 30, and I finally got to Virmire.

The money part of this game is fairly stupid, as is the store aspect. I've basically barely used both thus far.

goofyballer
Emo Communist

#13156497 - 11/28/07 03:06 PM

I asked Ashley if she'd kiss me if I ordered her to and she said it was against Alliance regulations and she'd have to report me and then relieve me of command. Even in video games I get rejected.

My overall impression so far is that this hasn't really lived up to the hype - which isn't to say that it's not a great game by any means. It just has a lot of design flaws, stuff that has pretty much all been mentioned in this thread. On their own they're pretty minor but the number of them add up to keep the gaming experience from being completely seamless.

BioWare will probably do a good job of addressing them by the time the next one comes out though.

I've done about 10 hours and I've done maybe 1/2 the side quests (almost all the ones on the Citadel, just a couple off-world), Artemis Tau, and am in the middle of Noveria. Seems like the game won't be quite Oblivion-length, but is definitely pretty meaty.

ThaSaltCracka
Brotha TSC

#13157158 - 11/28/07 03:39 PM

Goofy, I noticed you picked Inflitrator as well. I noticed on gamespots guide that its not recommended to pick a tech player, but I haven't had any issues. My pistol works pretty damn well, and being able to snipe has helped me for sure on several levels.

Whenever I do this again, I am thinking of trying a vanguard, because Biotic/Combat seems best IMO.

Also, I agree with you on some of the glitches, a tad annoying. However I have gotten use to them, so they don't bother me much, but I whenever I go play something like Halo3 or CoD4 then go back, it will probably bug the [censored] out of me.

goofyballer
Emo Communist

#13157722 - 11/28/07 04:12 PM

I like my choice so far. Why would you not pick a tech character, because you can just take the Quarian or Garrus with you instead and get the same bonuses? The pistol and sniper rifle are great.

(fwiw, when you're interacting with some object out in the field, then the highest skill of anyone in your party is used, instead of just Shepherd's, right?)

Also, one other thing that irritates me is when enemies rush you in combat. You're supposed to utilize the whole cover thing, but when some dude runs up to you then cover is entirely irrelevant and it feels like a clunky FPS (not to mention that leaving your cover to fight the up close dude exposes you to everyone else shooting at you).

RiverFenix
faking winning cars

#13158386 - 11/28/07 04:54 PM

Goofy thats why you gotta jack them up w/ singularity, lift, throw, or stasis before they get in close. Doesn't hurt when you know a battle is ahead to position your guys in cover, run out w/ barrier up and draw them back to your position.

Dire
Carpal \'Tunnel

#13158732 - 11/28/07 05:16 PM

I'm also playing as an infiltrator and loving it. The sniper rifle is just so much fun and really useful. Something neat that took me a little while to find out is that when you have the sniper equipped and are in combat mode hugging a wall, when you pop out from behind the wall - there's no 'floating' of your scope. It's smooth and ready to shoot. Makes it easy and fun to use the sniper even in mid/semi-close combat.

Also, when guys rush in - if you shoot at point blank range, you do a mellee which often knocks them down. And like RiverFenix said, the singularity/left/etc also do a great job of getting them away from you as well.

The only thing that has me down in this game is that the items seem to scale to your level and are very generic (at least from what I've seen). It's not like you can go on some super hard side quest and pick up a cool unique item. You'll just Scorpion Armor version 5, 6 or whatever depending on your level. Will have to play more to see if this stays true, but so far there's very little creativity in the type of items/rewards you can get.

zyrrth
old hand

#13159046 - 11/28/07 05:38 PM

why didn't anybody tell me that you need the 1mio credits to unlock spectre gear? no more turning stuff into omni gel

ThaSaltCracka
Brotha TSC

#13159553 - 11/28/07 06:11 PM

Eh, omni gel does come in handy, plus you get [censored] for selling stuff. My personal opinion, you are probably better off doing side quests and surveying for minerals/gasses.

RiverFenix
faking winning cars

#13160276 - 11/28/07 06:59 PM

I couldnt resist and started again w/ old character. Wow renegade is so much more fun. Already knocked out a scientist and pulled a gun on the farmers and just 5 min into Eden Prime.

zyrrth
old hand

#13161168 - 11/28/07 08:05 PM

just got the 1mio credits chievement by selling stuff

zyrrth
old hand

#13163614 - 11/28/07 10:57 PM

just finished the last mission, ending is ok but i was expecting some fallout style end showing the consequences of your decisions, didn't happen :/

pr0crast
Sticky master

Reged: 12/19/05
Loc: Tucson
      #13166265 - 11/29/07 02:07 AM

I love that you can beat this game in 9 hours if you want. I just beat it... awesome game, and I'm really glad it didn't turn into another huuuuge time waster... though for some of you who are into that, I can def see how you could drag the game out for 40+ hours.

ThaSaltCracka
Brotha TSC

#13169460 - 11/29/07 10:58 AM

Yeah, I think the 9 hour main campaign was made that short on purpose so people are more likely to play through multiple times.

Man, this game really does have several TOUGH decisions.

Grinding2Ecstasy
enthusiast

#13170027 - 11/29/07 11:49 AM

one of the little touches I love in this game, when youre walking around the citadel, sometimes you will overheard two people having a conversation. I've heard at least 3 diff conversations by the people on the bench outside Presidium for example. Just adds a lot of depth. Also I like chatting with my squad, particularly the Krogan, its neat how they will often comment on the specific area you're in.

ADK
old hand

#13170630 - 11/29/07 12:42 PM

mm is it just me or does vanguard and soldier have exact same skills etc? i just restarted as vanguard and cant notice any difference

zyrrth
old hand

#13170769 - 11/29/07 12:54 PM

vanguard doesn't have assault rifle and heavy armor but gets some biotic talents like warp and throw.

Just started my 2nd playthrough with a male shepard vanguard with assault rifle as a bonus talent. This time I'm gonna take all renegade points instead of being reasonable every once in a while.

Berge20
Mod of the nits

#13172828 - 11/29/07 03:28 PM

bonus talent?

zyrrth
old hand

#13174238 - 11/29/07 04:51 PM

After getting the 'kill 150 enemies with xxx' achievement you can pick that talent with any class if you create a new character. You could for example have a soldier with 'warp' or a vanguard with 'assault rifle'. I don't know if you only get one bonus talent tho.

reo
old hand

#13174741 - 11/29/07 05:23 PM

Quote:

why didn't anybody tell me that you need the 1mio credits to unlock spectre gear?

Where do I go to buy Spectre gear? I just unloaded a ton of gear. Over a million credits . . .

My current status?

Level 31 Soldier

Completed:

- Styx Theta
- Hawking Eta
- Noveria
- Feros
- Maroon Sea

EDIT: I found the merchant on the Normandy for Spectre weapons.

OMFG SPECTRE WEAPONS FTW!

ThaSaltCracka
Brotha TSC

#13175608 - 11/29/07 06:19 PM

Yeah I just bought some of the Spectre weapons, but I haven't been able to try them out yet.

RiverFenix
faking winning cars

#13177531 - 11/29/07 08:41 PM

Wait until you get Specter X weapons. Hot.

Shaqizzle
enthusiast

#13177658 - 11/29/07 08:48 PM

Someone found a way to get unlimited paragon points.

Spoiler - Infinite Paragon + Achievement

When you reach the Hercules System in the Attican Beta Cluster you will receive a mission to recover a "lost data pad" from the planet Eletania. Once you have found the data pad on one of the roaming local species(called a "monkey" in the game) in the mine you will be awarded approximatly 6+ paragon, save the game immediately. Once done, load the saved game and you should be able to continue to click on this monkey infinite amounts of times... I ran up my Paragon to 450+ points and, of course, received the achievement

Will probably try my next play through, I think I have all the best items, all rank X, Just wish they made Master Spectre gear have better shields / armor than Predator X armor. Spectre gear just looks so damn good.

zyrrth
old hand

#13177741 - 11/29/07 08:53 PM

what's the best armor btw? can you list stats for human light, medium and heavy?

goofyballer
Emo Communist

#13178105 - 11/29/07 09:17 PM

Armor doesn't seem to come easily - I haven't sought out armor to buy or anything, and in the field I've only come across two light armors I can use - the Scorpion I and something else (Phoenix?) IV. The funny thing is I like the I better than the IV because its damage protection is 50% better, and the IV only has slightly bettter shields and tech/biotic protection.

ThaSaltCracka
Brotha TSC

#13181632 - 11/30/07 01:48 AM

You'll find better. Personally, I found something with toxic protection worked best.

Beat the game once through, ran my Inflitrator up to lvl 45, gonna try and plow through it again on Hardcore, just playing the main missions.

I want to try it again on normal with a different character though, most likely Vanguard.

Btw, the last level was w/o question my favorite mission in the whole game. A total blast to play. Also, I really dig the song that plays during the credits.

edit:

Here is the myspace page for the group.
http://www.myspace.com/faunts

The song that plays when you click is the end song, so if you don't want to hear it until your done, don't click!

Edited by ThaSaltCracka (11/30/07 01:53 AM)

goofyballer
Emo Communist

#13182532 - 11/30/07 03:32 AM

So when you beat it, do you start over with the same character at the same level (45 for you)?

I put in a few more hours tonight and they were basically all spent on the last fight on Noveria and the Feros mission. It's crazy how much stuff there is to do in the story missions.

Also, I'm making mad loot selling gear back to the Requisitions dude; up to $400k or so now, but that's just from selling level IV and worse items, so that will go up exponentially as I get higher rated items I think.

Shaqizzle
enthusiast

#13182724 - 11/30/07 03:54 AM

Yeah, you can do a New Game + which makes you start all over with all the same items, weapons, armor and same level. Only you don't keep your renegade or paragon points, and you have to stick with your same class.

I wish they allowed it so whenever you started a new game you could pick a new class.

zyrrth
old hand

#13183797 - 11/30/07 07:17 AM

Don't know if it's really a spoiler: Does the necklace you get after talking the general into getting back with the asari chick in the citadel actually do anything? You only get it if you use a paragon answer when you talk to her iirc

ThaSaltCracka
Brotha TSC

#13185391 - 11/30/07 10:56 AM

Quote:

So when you beat it, do you start over with the same character at the same level (45 for you)?

Only if you choose to. You select "existing ID" or something.

Its pretty sweet, but be warned, any items your teamates have at the end of the game dissapear.

Also, when you start over, anyone member who joins your squad has the same amount of talent points as you, but they start out as 0 in everything. This is nice, because if you were like me, you wasted peoples points on stupid things, so now you have a chance yo fix all of that.

I briefly tried the first level on hardcore, its pretty damn hard actually!

Also Goofy, the other "main planets" have less side missions once you get past Feros and Novernia.

RiverFenix
faking winning cars

#13186932 - 11/30/07 01:02 PM

Quote:

Don't know if it's really a spoiler: Does the necklace you get after talking the general into getting back with the asari chick in the citadel actually do anything? You only get it if you use a paragon answer when you talk to her iirc

There is a planet where you can use this.

goofyballer
Emo Communist

#13187362 - 11/30/07 01:37 PM

When you finish the game, is it over, or can you still run around and do stuff Oblivion-style? (i.e. do you have time to un-equip any good items from your teammates so they won't be lost)

ThaSaltCracka
Brotha TSC

#13187420 - 11/30/07 01:41 PM

I think it just ends. There are some cut scenes and then its the ending, I THINK. Not 100% sure though.

Dire
Carpal \'Tunnel

#13188143 - 11/30/07 02:37 PM

Has anybody else found/figured out what the heck is up with the "Shifty Looking Cow" who steals credits from you when you turn your back to him? Just a random easter egg or is there something to it? I sat around for like 15 minutes letting him slowly steal 2500 creds from me. Nothing happened so I blasted him and still nothing happened.

ThaSaltCracka
Brotha TSC

#13188155 - 11/30/07 02:39 PM

where is that at??

Dire
Carpal \'Tunnel

#13188275 - 11/30/07 02:49 PM

The planet where you find the guy from your old platoon and the akuze scientist.

ThaSaltCracka
Brotha TSC

#13189304 - 11/30/07 04:03 PM

which planet?

Dire
Carpal \'Tunnel

#13189668 - 11/30/07 04:27 PM

Ontarom in Kepler Verge->Newton.

There's alot of strange stuff on that planet. There's also an area with these shelled guys who just kind of walk around and there's some dead body near them that you can't do anything with.

zyrrth
old hand

#13196875 - 12/01/07 02:35 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtJO9sinQU8#
loling

Dire
Carpal \'Tunnel

#13197793 - 12/01/07 05:15 AM

Quote:

loling

lol.. especially love the last relax/sit forward part.

reo
old hand

#13199039 - 12/01/07 10:20 AM

Just finished. Level 49 Soldier.

I didn't finish two quests. Scanned and left no stone unturned.
- Missing 1 "rare earth" and 1 "heavy metal" for quest "UNC: Valuable Minerals."
- My decryption wasn't high enough for "Feros: Data Recovery." I couldn't go back and get the info since the elevator collapsed.

Oh well. gg.

zyrrth
old hand

#13201186 - 12/01/07 02:00 PM

what happens if you knock out the reporter?

Berge20
Mod of the nits

#13202312 - 12/01/07 03:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

loling

lol.. especially love the last relax/sit forward part.

Classic

goofyballer
Emo Communist

#13210845 - 12/02/07 02:31 AM

I thought I was in this thread but I can't find it - anyway, someone warned that you should finish all the side quests before the Ilos mission, but I just did Virmire (and had already done Artemis Tau/Noveria/Feros) and it seems I can't get back to the Citadel. Am I [censored]? I just finished finding all the Matriarch's Writings and I didn't get [censored] for it, and another one of my quests was "completed" as soon as I touched down on the planet because it said I couldn't get back to the Citadel to talk to the brother of the dead dude I found.

ThaSaltCracka
Brotha TSC

#13211490 - 12/02/07 03:24 AM

yeah, it seems like once you go to Virmire, you are basically sayin you are done doing side quests.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  JaredL, Mike Haven 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4810

Rate this topic

Jump to

contact us 2+2 Publishing