MicroBob
(Johnny Chan Spotter)
07/14/07 10:37 AM
Re: Durrr in process of losing 60k+ in a chess bet.. good month for ra

I'm a fan too.
And I'm sure he could achieve such a rating also.
But I also think a lot of us COULD attain a higher rating IF we were consistent about our play.

I feel that when I'm really on my game and have been studying more and playing a ton (and productively) I'm in the 1600-1700 range.

Like others, I have had opponents tell me, "Man, you sure are deceivingly strong for your rating" after beating a 1650 or something.
I got my ICC rating up to 1730 or so before similarly donking some of it away playing another long, late-night, blurry-eyed session.

Same goes for my USCF rating. It would be on the way up.
But then I show up for some Saturday tournament at 9am on only 3 hours sleep and lose my first 2 or 3 games partly because I just wasn't rested or focused.

But my rating is my rating. Including all the losses when I was less-interested or goofing-off or really tired.

I too have occasionally been guilty of some of the, "My rating is XXXX but I'm really much stronger than that."

But at least I'm quickly aware of how much I am just sounding like everyone else and how ridiculous the excuses for my lower-than-my-real-strength rating are!!
Thus I conclude I'm not quite as bad as some others about this sort of ego-boost exaggerated-ratings-inflation sort of thing because I only do it part-time!!

contact us 2+2 Publishing