almostbusto
(veteran)
06/29/07 04:59 AM
Re: Durrr in process of losing 60k+ in a chess bet.. good month for ra

-El Diablo

i know your post was sarcastic, but apparently you are Indian, so yea you might be right.

that is a classic a chess myth though, everyone thinks they are pretty decent at chess or they had potential in the game because they beat up on all their buddies/family members who can hardly visualize how a knight moves. they don't realize that probably translates to 600-800 strength.

in reality, the game is a bitch. i am a pretty smart guy, i have put a lot of effort into my game, i have a bunch of chess books on my shelves, and i am an absolute nobody at the game. i am barely skilled enough to be considered respectable at the club level. i takes a lot of work and dedication to be at all decent at the game. the one exception might be if you are exposed to great players from a young age and have access to tutoring and coaching. i am completely self-taught (well i learned from books so i guess thats not *completely* self-taught) so i wouldn't know how much having a mentor would help. i never played someone who was 1400 strength in person until about 3 or 4 years after i bought my first chess book. one of the pitfalls of living in the rural west.

contact us 2+2 Publishing