Voltaire
(member)
06/29/07 04:10 AM
Re: Durrr in process of losing 60k+ in a chess bet.. good month for ra

Quote:

Quote:

Curtains, I've known a lot of chess players, and one thing I've learned is that some of them have no idea how good a grandmaster is. They haven't a clue about the kind of work that goes into playing at that level.

Apparently that is exactly the nerve I hit. You don't know me from Adam, but you would be very unwise to spot me a rook.

ok but if you were the one who said there would be a differnece between whether you were playing a GM or IM in this bet, then you don't understand really. Honestly the difference between me and a GM in this bet is neglible and I actually think I'll do better than a lot of GM's because it becomes less about chess and more about psychology and predicting how a bad player will play.

I agree about the psychology, and the point I was going to make is that it is the "extras" of hard work, maniacal devotion, and starting young that make the major difference between IMs and GMs. But there is also a psychological level, and the great GM are also masters at that level, whereas a lot of IMs are just gifted chess players who started playing young and encountered a lot of distractions and never really had the passion or drive (or stupidity!)to become GMs.

Consequently, I think that a GM would find some way to win a rook down significantly more often against a weaker player than an IM would.

But you're right, now that I think about it. Against Durrr as a, I guess, 950 player, it wouldn't make much difference.

Could Durrr (or a similar player) be hustling you? Playing over the two games (by the way, was ...Qxg7 in game one the best move?) it seems clear that you would win even more easily if there were another match. Some posters think Durrr would learn what he needs to do to win, but I suspect for a long time things will just get worse for him since the teacher always learns more about the student than the student learns about the teacher.

contact us 2+2 Publishing