PDA

View Full Version : Another Baseball Riddle

aaronk56
04-27-2006, 10:52 AM
A team's batters hit for 13 total bases in their half of an inning but did not score. How did it happen?

shortline99
04-27-2006, 10:55 AM
Well...

<font color="white"> The first batter hit a triple, but was picked off at third. The second batter hit a triple, but was also picked off at third. The third batter hit a triple. The fourtht batter hit a double, but the third batter was held at third base because his shoe came off. The fifth batter had an infield hit and no runners advanced. The sixth batter hit a single to center, but since the man on third was running home with no shoe, the man on second passed him heading home and they were called out. End of inning. 13 bases. Or did I stretch things?</font>

Todd
04-27-2006, 11:02 AM
[censored] man its only been ten minutes!

Give us a chance to try and solve it!!1!

Nicholasp27
04-27-2006, 11:08 AM
quick attempt, prolly has a flaw or 10:

<font color="white">
batter 1: triple: 3 bases
batter 2: double: 2 bases (5)
batter 3: single: 1 base (6)
batter 4: double: 1 base for 2, 1 base for 3, 2 bases for 4 (10) batter 1/2 get tagged out heading home
batter 5: double: 1 base for 4, 2 bases for 5 (13) batter 3 gets tagged out at home once batter 5 hits 2nd base

</font>

Todd
04-27-2006, 11:14 AM
<font color="white"> Triple- 3TB
runner picked off
Triple- 6TB
runner picked off
Triple- 9TB
infield single 10TB
Infield single 11TB (Bases loaded 2 outs)</font> T

Now it gets tricky, since there is a force out at the plate, the batter cannot get any more TB if there is a force out anywhere (IIRC).

So if the batter gets a single to left, adn the guy on third falls over between third and home, the batter will reach first base, but if the left fielder throws the ball to the plate for the force out, I dont know if the batter gets credit for a hit.

Lets assume that he does, and I can get to 12 TB, but not 13.

good puzzle.

T <font color="white"> </font> <font color="white"> </font>

Todd
04-27-2006, 11:16 AM
Total bases is the total bases for the batter, counted

Single=1
Double=2
Triple=3
HR=4

The movement of the runners in response to the hit is not counted.

So Nicks total is 10TB

Todd
04-27-2006, 11:19 AM
I am editing my answer:
<font color="white">
Triple- 3TB
runner picked off
Triple- 6TB
runner picked off
Triple- 9TB
Short fly ball double, 11TB (the guy on third inexplicably doesnt run with two outs)
Infield single 12TB (Bases loaded 2 outs) The guy on third inexplicably doesnt run with 2 outs</font>

Now it gets tricky, since there is a force out at the plate, the batter cannot get any more TB if there is a force out anywhere (IIRC).

So if the batter gets a single to left, adn the guy on third falls over between third and home, the batter will reach first base, but if the left fielder throws the ball to the plate for the force out, I dont know if the batter gets credit for a hit.

Lets assume that he does, and I can get to 13 TB.

good puzzle.

T <font color="white"> </font>

pudley4
04-27-2006, 11:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He doesn't.

Our House
04-27-2006, 11:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Lets assume that he does, and I can get to 13 TB.

good puzzle.

[/ QUOTE ]
No need to assume he does. Instead, just make the forced out a tagged out (i.e. catcher was never touching home plate).

aaronk56
04-27-2006, 11:27 AM
Close but wrong. Obviously the last total base is the tough one. If there is a force out at the plate, no matter how, the last batter does not get credit for a single, he reaches on a fielder's choice.

shortline99
04-27-2006, 11:28 AM
Did I get it?

aaronk56
04-27-2006, 11:30 AM
No, if the runner from second passes the runner on third, the batter doesn't get credit for a hit either.

BobOjedaFan
04-27-2006, 11:32 AM
OK, I don't know how to post in white out Im just give the answer.

1) Batter 1 - Triple, picked off
2) Batter 2 - Triple, picked off
3) Batter 3 - Triple
4) Batter 4 - Double (Batter 3 stays put)
5) Batter 5 - Single (Batters 4 and 5 stay put)
6) Batter 6 - Hit the ball into Batter 5, is scored a single and Batter 5 is out, inning over.

Todd
04-27-2006, 11:35 AM
Good one BobO,

hitting the runner with a batted ball is a hit, and an out.

T

aaronk56
04-27-2006, 11:36 AM
With a name like that, you had to get it right. Batter 5 has to be standing in fair territory of course. He should be between 1st and 2nd though. Congratulations.