PDA

View Full Version : Science, Math and Philosophy forum

wheeler
04-23-2006, 07:51 PM
I propose the following changes:

Science, Math and Philosophy (SMP) -> Philosophy and Religion.
Probability -> Probability, Math and Science.

Here's why:
1. The SMP forum is dominated by discussion of religion and philosophy. I just looked at the top 12 threads and there is one about science and one about math.

2. A number of working scientists (I'm one) are on record as no longer reading the SMP forum because they don't want to wade through the religious debate. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem debating religion vs. science, it's just that the current forum setup serves to frame every topic in those terms.

3. The probability forum gets no traffic. Adding science and math in there can only increase the viability of this forum. I don't see how it could harm the probability forum in any way if more math/science professionals were to contribute.

4. Maybe there are posters who want to talk about religion. It's not clear to me they'd know that the SMP forum was the appropriate venue. If you put religion in the title it may result in involving more pro-religion people in the debate, who feel uncomfortable or on the defensive talking about religion in a forum with science in the title.

5. New forums increase traffic, as evidenced by the Puzzles and Games forum, where a large part of the traffic is made up by people who didn't post much before. This proposal will also increase traffic, but without increasing the number of forums.

6. I looked through other threads about this subject in this forum, and the standard rebuttal is "I don't think math and science can survive on its own." I agree that if you were to just move the science/math posts from the Science Math and Philosophy forum, you wouldn't have a viable forum, but I'm arguing that the SMP forum is hostile to math/science threads in its current forum, and you'll get an increase in the number of threads if you change the setup.

Thoughts?

_TKO_
04-23-2006, 11:55 PM
This is a great idea.

Sniper
04-24-2006, 12:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
3. The probability forum gets no traffic. Adding science and math in there can only increase the viability of this forum. I don't see how it could harm the probability forum in any way if more math/science professionals were to contribute.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to add useful info...

This month, SMP is running at about 160 posts/day, while Probability is running at about 20/day.

CharlieDontSurf
04-24-2006, 02:14 AM
I agree with this idea

BruceZ
04-24-2006, 02:25 AM
Probability supports the primary focus of this site which is poker and gambling. Science falls under the category of Other Topics. It would be inappropriate to merge it with Probability.

Probability may get relatively little traffic, but it also has one of the highest ratios of quality content to noise.

That said, I do think that SMP should be divided into “Science and Math”, and “Religion and Philosophy”.

Case Closed
04-25-2006, 02:29 PM
Sorry to hijack but, I have read a couple of posts that some people wanted to add history as a part of one of the forums. I think it could fit into a "Religion, Philosophy and History" or something. I think that would be cool.

HotPants
04-25-2006, 06:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry to hijack but, I have read a couple of posts that some people wanted to add history as a part of one of the forums. I think it could fit into a "Religion, Philosophy and History" or something. I think that would be cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, then people interested in History would have the same problem people interested in science and math are having right now

bobbyi
04-25-2006, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Probability supports the primary focus of this site which is poker and gambling. Science falls under the category of Other Topics. It would be inappropriate to merge it with Probability.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why is it "inappopriate"? Just because the new forum wouldn't fit nicely under one of the headings in the sidebar? I don't see what is inherently bad about a forum that is open to both gambling and non-gambling topics if the focus of the forum is still nicely focussed in one area.

Case Closed
04-26-2006, 12:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, then people interested in History would have the same problem people interested in science and math are having right now

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it would be nice if it could fit in somewhere.

CharlieDontSurf
04-27-2006, 06:27 PM
Religion/Philosophy needs to be on its own.

gdsdiscgolfer
04-27-2006, 09:52 PM
What about Probability/Math and Science/Philosophy/Religion?

NoahSD
04-28-2006, 12:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What about Probability/Math and Science/Philosophy/Religion?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probability/Math is solid... the problem with the whole science/philosophy/religion thing is that science doesn't belong there... which is what the problem is now.