PDA

View Full Version : Reacting to a Call When I Have Open Trips

PokrLikeItsProse
01-11-2006, 10:47 AM
3/6 stud.

Opponent is the loose sort who would sometimes call against an open pair with a lower pair trying to draw for two pair and who will chase all sorts of draws. I was the bring-in and opponent limped in late position for a heads-up pot. I (double) bet on fourth when I made an open pair..

On fifth, I bet when the cards were:

Me: (A/images/graemlins/heart.gif 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif
Opponent: K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3/images/graemlins/club.gif

I bet and opponent calls.

On sixth, I catch 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, while my opponent catches 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif which could complete a possible flush. If opponent was on a diamond draw, it was completely live. How should I play this?

MRBAA
01-11-2006, 12:10 PM
I probably check/call here. I know it sounds weak, but unless your opponent is a total maniac (as opposed to just an idiot) a flush draw looks very, very likely.

I'd check call the river, or bet out if I hit.

preiserone
01-11-2006, 05:49 PM
I usually bet here anyways,if you do it is unlikely you will get raised by a flush, and if he doesn't have it your not giving him free cards. If you check there is a good chance he will bet and you will be forced to call. So the same amount of money goes in without giving freecards to lesser hands.

beta1607
01-11-2006, 08:40 PM
This is bad line. You are calling a bet on 6th and there is no logical hand villan can have that will raise you here other than a FH so you must bet yourself and not risk a free card.

7th is debatable depending on how agro the opponent is

frappeboy
01-11-2006, 09:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I probably check/call here. I know it sounds weak, but unless your opponent is a total maniac (as opposed to just an idiot) a flush draw looks very, very likely.

I'd check call the river, or bet out if I hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this whole line of thought. You are definitely behind to either A) Full house B) Flush.. So if he has a full house you should check/call to avoid getting raised. If he has a flush he might even give you a free card.

Andy B
01-12-2006, 01:48 AM
Check and call. It is extremely likely that the other guy was on a flush draw and you are now behind. If you're wrong and you end up giving a free card, it's only a disaster if he would have folded to a bet. Since he didn't fold on fifth, there's no reason to think that he'll fold on sixth.

PokrLikeItsProse
01-12-2006, 08:22 AM
OK, my opponent turned out to have started with split kings. It went check-check on sixth and seventh and my trips beat his/her two pair.

I guess I should start betting into this opponent more often with two pair. Reminds me of a story someone told me of betting open quads on the river and getting called by a worse hand.

MRBAA
01-12-2006, 10:48 AM
Whoa now. Once opponent checks behind on sixth, my idiot alert starts flashing. I'm betting the river if I fill, must check if not, of course. But no more free cards for this fool in future hands.