PDA

View Full Version : Ressurected bu not Divine?

David Sklansky
01-11-2006, 04:53 AM
Just wondering if any religion believes that. In other words his resurrection was merely another miracle God used to prove who he wants followed.

Stu Pidasso
01-11-2006, 06:07 AM
Unitarians reject the divinity of Christ.

Stu

RJT
01-11-2006, 06:08 AM
Not that I am aware of.

RJT

IronUnkind
01-11-2006, 01:48 PM
Islam, sort of.

IronUnkind
01-11-2006, 01:52 PM
But they also tend to reject his resurrection.

Shandrax
01-13-2006, 09:23 AM
Every man with some sort of common sense rejects the resurrection of Jesus - although "common sense" and "religion" don't fit together well.

If there is anything to the story at all, then the most likely explanation is that he survived the initial attempt of execution. Especially with this sort of execution where death comes slowly by suffocation, it is not unlikely that they took him off too early - or just in time, whatever version you prefer.

The theory of Occam's razor applies once again. At least makes the miracle appear to be rather unlikely.

What religions in their fraud attempts tend to make out of it, I don't know....and I don't care.

The Dude
01-13-2006, 10:24 AM
Jehovah's Witnesses believe that Jesus was the Messiah and was resurrected, but that he is only human - not divine in any way. However, if you're looking for a religion that's closer than Christianity to what you see as rational, you'll not find it here. Since I generally try not to put down whole groups of people, I'll abstain from giving specifics unless someone asks directly.

Bigdaddydvo
01-13-2006, 10:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Every man with some sort of common sense rejects the resurrection of Jesus - although "common sense" and "religion" don't fit together well.

[/ QUOTE ]

The intellectual bankruptcy of your post starts as many like it do-with a gross and an overextending generalization.

MidGe
01-13-2006, 10:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The intellectual bankruptcy of your post starts as many like it do-with a gross and an overextending generalization.

[/ QUOTE ]

bigdaddydvo,

I am dissapointed with your post. You seem to be a more coherent and genuine guy than a lot of religionists, usually.

Of course, "the resurrection of Jesus", is miraculous, at least, even by your standards, no?

Bigdaddydvo
01-13-2006, 11:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

bigdaddydvo,

I am dissapointed with your post. You seem to be a more coherent and genuine guy than a lot of religionists, usually.

Of course, "the resurrection of Jesus", is miraculous, at least, even by your standards, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course the Resurrection is miraculous. I dispute the poster's assertion that "common sense" and "faith" are 100% mutually exclusive.

wmonfor
01-13-2006, 11:15 AM
Are we talking specifically about Christ? If you count ancient greek religion, there are many examples of a mortal traveling to the underworld and returning. However, among modern religions the only example i can think of is Lazarus.

Shandrax
01-13-2006, 11:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Believing into "miracles" doesn't actually make you look any smarter than me.

billygrippo
01-13-2006, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

zing!!!

Bigdaddydvo
01-13-2006, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nor was my belief intended to. I'm simply challenging your baseless assertion that believers always and necessarily lack common sense.

LadyWrestler
01-13-2006, 06:52 PM
"Every man with some sort of common sense rejects the resurrection of Jesus - although "common sense" and "religion" don't fit together well.

"If there is anything to the story at all, then the most likely explanation is that he survived the initial attempt of execution. Especially with this sort of execution where death comes slowly by suffocation, it is not unlikely that they took him off too early - or just in time, whatever version you prefer.

"The theory of Occam's razor applies once again. At least makes the miracle appear to be rather unlikely.

"What religions in their fraud attempts tend to make out of it, I don't know....and I don't care."

-Shandrax

------------

Rhetorical questions based on the above...no written answers required:

Are you sure you want to use that as support for your belief in common sense? Have you read the gospels and the book of Acts? Have you looked into the ancient evidence supporting the 5 books? Do you believe anything that you have not seen with your own eyes? Do you believe there was a Roman Empire? Do you believe Julius Caesar existed? Alexander the Great? Jesus? Mohammed? Do you really believe the Romans could not tell if Jesus was dead or alive when they took him off the cross? Do you believe the Biblical writers made it up? Do you believe Peter suddenly had a change of heart and found his courage based on nothing? Really? Common sense? Really?

If so, Okay then. If that is what you really want to stand on, mmm...go for it...

MidGe
01-13-2006, 09:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Of course the Resurrection is miraculous. I dispute the poster's assertion that "common sense" and "faith" are 100% mutually exclusive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heya bigdaddydvo,

I see your point. In fact you can say that faith is very much "common" sense (albeit in many variations) since the great majority of people decide to take on a faith of sort.

Thanks for your amplification, and yes, in that respect, I lack common sense. /images/graemlins/smile.gif OTOH, common sense may not be the best or correct conclusion.

SNOWBALL
01-14-2006, 12:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/ QUOTE ]

Big words go badly with small ideas.