PDA

View Full Version : Letter to 2+2

DoomSlice2
04-18-2006, 03:49 AM
I emailed this to support a moment ago, but I'll post it here to make sure someone sees it:

To Whom it May Concern,

I am a loyal reader and avid student of many 2+2 products and enjoy reading and posting on your forum about poker strategy and other topics. My account, DoomSlice, is one that I've had for over a year now and have made over 1700 posts. Tonight however, I read a post that [censored] (Other Other Topics moderator) made in his forum that said that anyone doing "FYP"s would be instantly banned. Now, I understand why it is necessary to ban or censure people for making slanderous, racist, or otherwise inappropriate posts, but giving a moderator the power to ban someone who posts something just because he doesn't (paraphrase) "think they are funny" is unacceptable in my book. Naturally, my first instinct was to find a thread about the discussion of this rule and make a "FYP" in it to show how completely harmless and ridiculous it was; unsurprisingly, I was banned shortly thereafter.

I agree that the ban was justified for the sole reason that I was purposely breaking [censored]'s rule, but I find it hard to believe that a group of mature adults came to the conclusion that people who say "FYP" should be instantly and permanently banned. I am, however, inclined to believe that it was just the bad idea of one moderator, and not the consensus of the group (I really hope this is true). I won't ask you to unban my account, and I won't stop buying your books simply for the fact that they are the best on the market, but I do feel betrayed. A corporation that allows the personal vendetta of one moderator to get in the way of making sound business decisions is not, in my mind, a corporation that is headed down the right path. Had I been the type of person to take this matter personally, it is very likely that I would forsake twoplustwo forever and just stop buying their products, but as I said that is not my style.

In conclusion, I hope you look into this matter and even if you don't reverse [censored]'s decision, at least take this as a warning that some people out there take these restrictions of speech very seriously.

Sincerely,
[my name]

cambraceres
04-18-2006, 03:56 AM
[Censored] has always been this type of Mod, it isn't directed at anyone, it's just his style. Alot of people have been getting angry at him for what they see as administrative improprieties, but he is just adding his own flavor to OOT. There are alot of posters who appreciate his manner, and although he may not be tactful he is indeed an interesting personality here. Unfortunately for you, many things boil down to a political pissing match, and the incumbents usually win.

Cambraceres

DoomSlice2
04-18-2006, 04:03 AM
I want to make it clear that I am in no way attacking [censored] as a person or even as a moderator. I just think it is very unacceptable to make a rule that:

1) Occludes our right to free speech (what if another mod didn't like people who posted images of "ORLY" owls, or people who use excessive exclamation marks at the end of sentences!!!, etc...)

2) Has a punishment that doesn't fit the crime. I'd be fine if he told me that I couldn't post in OOT anymore, I can live with that. However, the account is now banned from all forums (you can't even browse!), which is highly restrictive when I'm trying to improve my game by posting hands or advice.

In all honestly, I was probably subconsiously (and semi-conciously) trying to be a martyr here, hopefully so people will start to consider the lunacy of this decision.

Nick B.
04-18-2006, 04:10 AM
Don't do stupid [censored] and you won't get banned. Don't be dumb. So many stupid [censored] on 2+2.

TheMainEvent
04-18-2006, 04:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.thediabetesblog.com/images/2005/12/baby%20crying.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Stuey
04-18-2006, 04:34 AM
The [censored] Prize: The winner will receive an "Immunity Idol" which can be used to save himself or any other poster from any [censored] moderator action.

Alex Levin just became a very popular person me thinks.

coincidence? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Anacardo
04-18-2006, 04:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.thediabetesblog.com/images/2005/12/baby%20crying.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, it's your ass, now. You killed off TME, TME! What a crime...

SamIAm
04-19-2006, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1) Occludes our right to free speech

[/ QUOTE ]You shouldn't try to talk about "free speech" if you don't understand the right; it certainly doesn't help your claim. I think your OP probably have a point, but rolled my eyes when I saw you were another fool trying to misuse the 1st amendment.

[ QUOTE ]
A corporation that allows the personal vendetta...

[/ QUOTE ]It wasn't personal, was it? I mean, he declared a rule. (A rule you disagreed with.) You flagrantly broke it. He banned you. You can talk about whether the rule was fair or whether the punishment was fair, but obviously his actions weren't personal. (It seems like yours were, though.)
-Sam

Tony_P
04-20-2006, 01:50 AM
"1) Occludes our right to free speech"

1. "occlude" must have looked really sophisticated when it showed up in your Shift+F7 search, but it's not really used properly here.

2. Which damaged cells in your brain came up with the idea that you have some sort of "right" to say whatever you want on a fourm owned by a private company?