PDA

View Full Version : Forum Software

BluffTHIS!
01-10-2006, 07:20 PM
Matt, regarding Chuck's previous request, he had a link to a test site using Fusion I think and having the threads upto last May. Although it let me login, I couldn't actually get search or anything else to work. Although of course I like this software if the search utility actually worked right.

As I mentioned in another thread here, the search doesn't pick up most PLO posts, including when you click on my handle and then show all posts. If they claim it is a browser prob, which it's not, then they should be able to provide proof by showing a printout that contained all my PLO posts in the past few months. If they would work on fixing that, the other search probs would likely be cleared up as well.

Nut4Dawgs
01-10-2006, 07:39 PM
Bluff,

I don't know how much you know about databases so excuse me if I'm repeating things you don't need to see.

The "key" to searching any database successfully is how you phrase the request. Bits and pieces of info are stored in specific named files. For instance, "keywords" (in your case Pot Limit Omaha/PLO) and "screen names." You have to use the + and - to refine your search.

Can you give us an example of how you've been doing your searches? Then maybe someone can suggest another way of going about it more effectively.

I know, and you probably do too, others have probs with the Search thingie. This may help you and many more posters/searchers.

BluffTHIS!
01-10-2006, 07:47 PM
Nuts, I actually have a moderately good knowledge of same and use Access tables directly occasionally without a software client interface.

As an example, click on my handle and then show all posts. Click past the all the ones in SMP and look for ones in PLO forum. It won't pick up even 1/2 of those posts, and I post a few a week. Similarly try searching for a word/phrase in PLO forum only such as "set". It don't work right.

Nut4Dawgs
01-10-2006, 08:21 PM
mmmm-kaaay. Thought I'd give it a shot. Back to sq. uno I guess.

<ul type="square"> /images/graemlins/frown.gif [/list]