PDA

View Full Version : writing a paper for class on religion.(prob for atheists)

DonkNitUP
04-17-2006, 07:31 PM
im writing a paper on the Bible and why people believe it using two theories.
Basically I am turning both of the definitions i am writing about slightly, so my working definitions are:
1. uncertainty reduction theory: people want to reduce uncertainty as much as possible (pretty obvious) Ex. Having a God will reduce uncertainty about the world
2. social exchange theory: the good in something outweighs the bad so you might as well stick with it. Ex. if there is a christian god, they go to heaven, if not then oh well they just die. Ex2. social status and community interactions

I think 1. is self explainitory and i cannot add any more to this. Does anyone else have positive ways that religion is helpful instead of hurtful for me to put in the social exchange theory? If not thats cool

THanks

Copernicus
04-17-2006, 07:44 PM
It seems that #2 is mixing two theories:

A. Since the Bible promotes socially preferable behavior, belief is good for society.

B. Pascals Wager If I bet that there is a god, and there
is, everythings cool.
If I believe and there is no god, no
harm no foul.
If I dont believe and there is no god,
no harm no foul
If I dont believe and there is a god,
Im f*cked for eternity.

The premise then is that only believing is +EV.

Stick with A. There are a number of counterarguments to Pascals Wager.

DonkNitUP
04-17-2006, 08:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It seems that #2 is mixing two theories:

A. Since the Bible promotes socially preferable behavior, belief is good for society.

B. Pascals Wager If I bet that there is a god, and there
is, everythings cool.
If I believe and there is no god, no
harm no foul.
If I dont believe and there is no god,
no harm no foul
If I dont believe and there is a god,
Im f*cked for eternity.

The premise then is that only believing is +EV.

Stick with A. There are a number of counterarguments to Pascals Wager.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow thanks, i can use pascals wager in the paper. I have to pick which of the two theories best fits the explanation of the premise (why people believe in God) so one of theories i have to discount anyway.

im not sure what you mean by #2 is two mixing theories.
social exchange theory: I have to look at all the positives and negatives in the religion and have the positives outweigh the negative.

thanks for your help

bunny
04-17-2006, 08:35 PM
I think many christians feel that life is given meaning because God exists so they are happier believing rather than not-believing (I think this is a separate "net good" from the reducing uncertainty one).

godBoy
04-17-2006, 10:46 PM
I relate more closely to no. 1

I find answers in the Bible that make sense and give me an understanding of life.

cambraceres
04-18-2006, 04:07 AM
On the average people do not make a value judgement to decide religious belief. It is the result of upbringing and social acceptance. After that faith just feels good.

Cambraceres