PDA

View Full Version : Dude robs bank to pay for online poker

Bigdaddydvo
12-15-2005, 07:42 AM
Glad to see the fishies are committed to putting money into the poker economy. Sorry if this has been posted; search netted zero results:

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1518097/20051214/index.jhtml?headlines=true

Class president, son of a Baptist minister, second cello in the Lehigh University orchestra, chaplain's office assistant ... bank robber? Class of 2008 president Greg Hogan was arrested on Friday on charges of bank robbery, and now the sophomore
class leader faces up to 20 years in prison.

Authorities say Hogan, 19, handed a note to a teller at a Wachovia Bank branch in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, said he had a gun and demanded money, according to an Associated Press report. Hogan was picked up at his Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity house later that night and charged with robbery, theft by unlawful taking and receiving stolen property. Police said he got away with $2,871 during the heist, and FBI officials confirmed that Hogan did not have a weapon during the robbery.

On Wednesday (December 14) the Morning Call of Allentown newspaper revealed that the heist was the result of gambling debts Hogan had accumulated by playing poker online. A double major at the school, Hogan turned to online poker to take some of the pressure off his hectic school life, and, according to his lawyer John Waldron, he soon racked up debts of $5,000.

"This is one of the nicest kids I've ever met, but his gambling addiction led him to make a terrible, terrible mistake," Waldron told the Morning Call. "There's so much good in this kid. It easily outweighs this one bad mistake." He has hired a forensic psychologist to evaluate Hogan. "That's the million-dollar question," the lawyer said. "Why would such a good kid with so much promise do this? We know he had a gambling addiction, but why didn't he seek other options? That has everyone scratching their heads."

Fellow students were stunned by the news. Frat brother Patrick Thornton described Hogan as a very energetic guy who you wouldn't be surprised to see cheering on his college football team while wearing body paint and no shirt. "It's by far the most interesting story we've ever encountered here," said Thornton, editor of the student-run campus newspaper, The Brown and White.

The maximum penalty if Hogan is convicted of a first-degree felony is 20 years, while the max for a third-degree felony conviction is seven years and a $15,000 fine. District Attorney Jim Martin told The Brown and White that if Hogan is convicted he will likely face jail time.

Hogan was driven to the bank by the university's student Senate president, Kip Wallen, who said he had no idea Hogan allegedly intended to rob it, Wallen's lawyer told the AP. Wallen has not been charged in the case.

Hogan admitted to the crime and was released on Saturday after posting $100,000 bond. A preliminary hearing was scheduled for January 31.

The incident was all the more bizarre given Hogan's background. He was a 2004 graduate of the University School, an elite, all-boys private high school in the upscale Cleveland suburb of Hunting Valley, and his father is the pastor of the First Baptist Church of Barberton in Barberton, Ohio, who has served as a city councilman in Seven Hills, Ohio.

Andrew Bennett, Hogan's friend since ninth grade, told The Brown and the White he was shocked when he heard about the incident. "Nobody expected Greg would do something like this," Bennett said, adding that students at the University School couldn't believe the news. "People at school were like, 'What, Greg Hogan?' " he said. "He would be like the least likely person to pull something like this off."

In the meantime, Hogan has been suspended from the fraternity pending the outcome of the trial and faces expulsion if convicted. Lehigh students charged with a crime go before the university's Office of Student Conduct, a disciplinary committee made up of teachers, staff and students. The committee decides what action to take, which could from a warning to expulsion.

— Gil Kaufman

Spy Dog
12-15-2005, 08:07 AM
Although most people on this board will make fun of this, it's actually pretty sad.

darkcore
12-15-2005, 08:40 AM
that kid get's at least 7 years and af fine 3 times the dept?

it's sad on many levels...

Borknagar
12-15-2005, 09:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Class of 2008

[/ QUOTE ]

???

SuitedJokers
12-15-2005, 09:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Although most people on this board will make fun of this. . .

[/ QUOTE ]

You know me pretty well.

What's funny is that, even after robbing the bank, he would still be $2,129 in debt.

Death Valley
12-15-2005, 09:41 AM
Instead of robbing a bank he should have just taken a shot at a bigger game /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

arardor
12-15-2005, 10:36 AM
Interesting that they say he racked up 5k in debt playing online poker? Poker sites run a tab now?

Could it be he lost 5k and was broke or what?

IdiotVig
12-15-2005, 10:46 AM
Ahh, glad to see the ol' alma mater's doing just fine.

Wonder if the alumni board will take donations via Party transfers?

Marquis
12-15-2005, 11:40 AM
Safety school.

young Nut
12-15-2005, 11:53 AM
you're a day late.
thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number=4191921&an=0&page=6# Post4191921)

but it is a very interesting story though.

KathleenStand
12-15-2005, 12:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Class of 2008

[/ QUOTE ]

???

[/ QUOTE ]

junkmail3
12-15-2005, 12:20 PM
He should have just sued the site for letting him play underage.

RakeCommunity
12-15-2005, 12:34 PM
He is in college. He will graduate from the university in 2008. Therefore he is not underage.

thatguy11
12-15-2005, 12:45 PM
Anyone who goes to that high school and Lehigh probably could have found the money in his parents couch cushions. I'm sure mommy and daddy would have bailed him out but he really must have thought he would get away with it.

junkmail3
12-15-2005, 12:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He is in college. He will graduate from the university in 2008. Therefore he is not underage.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is terrible reasoning.

Espicially since the article clearly states that his is 19yo. I'm pretty sure you have to be 21 to gambol.

jman220
12-15-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is terrible reasoning.

Espicially since the article clearly states that his is 19yo. I 'm pretty sure you have to be 21 to gambol.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is incorrect.

tdarko
12-15-2005, 01:53 PM
i wish he would have got away, do you see why?

Gregatron
12-15-2005, 02:02 PM
He is white, and well-to-do. There is a good chance he will see very little jail time. If he were black and/or poor, they would throw the book at him. At it stands, I expect a nice plea bargain and daddy to donate heavily to the DA's reelection. (I know yr European, but that is how we roll here in the states.)

captain_swing
12-15-2005, 02:28 PM
No doubt, Gregatron. Could you even imagine a news article being that sympathetic to him if he wasn't white and affluent? It would be "up against the wall, mo-fo!"

IdiotVig
12-15-2005, 02:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...who goes to that high school and Lehigh probably could have found the money in his parents couch cushions. I'm sure mommy and daddy would have bailed him out...

[/ QUOTE ]

Stereotypes r00l, but no. We're not all snotty trustafarians.

Gregatron
12-15-2005, 02:32 PM
Yeah, he will likely get some media sympathy. I will amend my comments slight though -- this is a federal crime, which means that there is likely to be more equity in sentencing. I still don't expect he will get the book thrown at him though. He should get off relatively lightly.

roundest
12-15-2005, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Class of 2008

[/ QUOTE ]

???

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, he's the sophomore class president. They graduate in 2008. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

mantasm
12-15-2005, 02:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"This is one of the nicest kids I've ever met, but his gambling addiction led him to make a terrible, terrible mistake"

[/ QUOTE ]

Gambling addiction or bank-robbing addiction?

gabyyyyy
12-15-2005, 04:27 PM
Wasnt there a kid in Florida who did the same thing recently?

RikaKazak
12-15-2005, 04:32 PM
GO FISHIES GET MORE MONEY!!!!!!!!!

(just don't shoot me while you're robbing the bank)

LOLOLOLOLOL

tehpwn
12-15-2005, 04:40 PM
Hopefully he was able to deposit it online before being arrested.

Meezer
12-15-2005, 04:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hopefully he was able to deposit it online before being arrested.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

Chris.
12-15-2005, 05:38 PM
Sweet. More fodder for the opponnents of on-line poker.

TheHammer24
12-15-2005, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He is white, and well-to-do. There is a good chance he will see very little jail time. If he were black and/or poor, they would throw the book at him. At it stands, I expect a nice plea bargain and daddy to donate heavily to the DA's reelection. (I know yr European, but that is how we roll here in the states.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice race card.

Uglyowl
12-15-2005, 06:46 PM
The sad thing is that $5,000 is not the end of the world or that much. Most kids rack that kind of debt up on beer, school books, food, etc.

lane mcbride
12-15-2005, 07:00 PM
now I feel bad for taking 5k heads up off of some guy named "bankrobberhogan"

-I'm sorry. that was mean.

gabyyyyy
12-15-2005, 09:04 PM
Post deleted

TheHammer24
12-15-2005, 09:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
now I feel bad for taking 5k heads up off of some guy named "bankrobberhogan"

-I'm sorry. that was mean.

[/ QUOTE ]
nh....vnh

jman220
12-16-2005, 12:33 AM
I do believe Gabbbyyy has finally made the post that will get her banned.

Nepa
12-16-2005, 01:18 AM
How can a Kid this dumb get into Lehigh? ahhhhh, I'm down 5k I guess I better rob a bank.

He was a Cello player and now he is going to be playing the skin flute.

DWarrior
06-13-2006, 11:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I know this story is old (I heard it back around december), but it apparently made the NY Times recently.

Anyway, they may not throw the book at him, but he's pretty much [censored] way worse than a black poor kid would be. I would imagine a "gangsta" kid would get street cred for robbing a bank without even having a gun, but this guy's screwed.

He pretty much had it made, president of the class at Lehigh, I'm fairly sure he was guaranteed a good 100K+/year job, now there's no way anybody will hire him.

Also, NY Times claims he lost $7,500 and he did get in debt. Not to the site, but he overdrafted his bank accounts, charged his credit cards, and had his friends transfer him money. From the description, he also sounds like the greatest fish in the world: his friends were willing to teach him and told him to stop, all the materials are out there on line, yet he insisted on gambling.

I have a friend like that, and he's pretty much just as screwed, though he's in debt less than this guy and won't be robbing banks any time soon.

I <3 fish

RobDoral
06-13-2006, 11:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I <3 fish

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't love this fish or the NY times article. Get enough people to freak out about all this and the politicians will just go with the flow and support stupid bill's like Goodlattes.

heater
06-13-2006, 11:29 AM
Here's an article about the guy:

THE HOLD-'EM HOLDUP (http://www.amhersttimes.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1842&Ite mid=27)

A couple of gems from the article:

Online, Hogan would play 60 to 100 hands an hour — three times the number of his live games. There was no more shuffling between hands, no more 30-second gaps to chat with his friends or consider quitting. Each hand interlocked with the next. The effect was paralyzing, narcotic. "Internet poker induces a trancelike state," says Derevensky, the McGill professor, who once treated a 17-year-old Canadian boy who lost $30,000, much of it at PokerStars. "The player loses all track of time, where they are, what they're doing." When I spoke with an online hold-'em player from Florida who had lost a whopping $250,000 online, he told me: "It fried my brain. I would roll out of bed, go to my computer and stay there for 20 hours. One night after I went to sleep, my dad called. I woke up instantly, picked up the phone and said, 'I raise.' "

"In a few weeks, Hogan had run his initial $75 up to $300. Then, in November, came "the hand that got me hooked." Hogan drew a king-high flush and bet all $300. When his opponent called the bet and showed his ace-high flush, Hogan felt an impotent rage that broke on his forehead and coursed through his body. Tilt. He cursed, shut down the program in disgust and vowed never to play online again. Four days later, however, he felt the traces of an urge as visceral as the need to eat. "

Riddick
06-13-2006, 11:42 AM
How many times do you think his cellmate has forced the kid to suck him off by now?

Gildwulf
06-13-2006, 11:44 AM
I wonder what he'll do for cigarettes in the prison poker game...

DWarrior
06-13-2006, 12:20 PM
haha, yeah those were the notable gems.

I wish I lost all track of time, I can't stop looking at the clock while I play. And king high flush losing to ace high? That sorta stuff is happens daily.

BTW, does anybody know who Phys is? Sounds like he would have a presense on 2+2 or RGP, how come I've never heard of him?

mayday4379
06-13-2006, 12:30 PM
Good to see he was worried about the 5K in debt but was able to get the 100K bond posted.

DWarrior
06-13-2006, 01:20 PM
PARENTS: COVER YOUR KIDS' GAMBLING DEBTS
(otherwise we'll ruin your reputation)