PDA

View Full Version : Question with 10 commandments...

DonkNitUP
04-13-2006, 10:03 PM
I only watched a brief part of the 10 commandments movie that came on but i was wondering...

Moses laid his walking cain (stick) whatever it was down and it turned into a snake in front of the pharoah. Pharoah called upon 2 people who laid down sticks that turned into snakes.

Obviously the Catholic, Christian God turned the stick into a snake for Moses. When pharoah called upon his people to lay down sticks to snakes, what God did that?

Peter666
04-13-2006, 10:55 PM
The gods of 50's special effects.

DonkNitUP
04-13-2006, 10:57 PM
i am not familiar with the Bible, I was wondering if this was specifically in it?? and if so what do people think of that

madnak
04-14-2006, 01:12 AM
There's lots of black magic in the Bible. I suppose it all went the way of miracles. God and Satan agreed that life should be much more boring in the modern age.

DonkNitUP
04-14-2006, 10:13 AM
yea this girl told me last night that it was a magic trick that theirs turned into a snake but God turned Moses' into a snake. hmmm pretty weird. I mean they cant accept that their "Gods" turned the stick into a snake because that would defeat the purpose of the one and only God /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Peter666
04-14-2006, 10:41 AM
I was referring to the Charlton Heston movie "The 10 Commandments".

In reality, we don't know what kind of magic trick the Egyptians used. It was probably a sleight of hand trick, and not some "black magic of Satan" thingy, whereas what Moses did was a miracle of God.

madnak
04-14-2006, 11:24 AM
The Bible makes mention of black magic actually working. God was definitely not the only one in the Bible capable of supernatural feats.

ThinkQuick
04-14-2006, 06:34 PM
this is very wierd. I swear I replied to this post yesterday..

-Yah the OP was probably referring to the new version of the movie that's out
-Other magic is supposed to have existed
- This (http://members.autobahn.mb.ca/~ggilbey/para7.html) website details a possible nonmagical method of the trick.
-God's supremacy was evidenced by Moses' snake eating the others

Peter666
04-14-2006, 08:17 PM
That's correct. There is the story of Simon Magus the sorcerer who flew into the air.

There is differentiation made between "supernatural" and "preternatural". It is said that only God can do something supernatural, which is an actual suspension of the laws of nature. The devils or sorcerers are considered capable of doing something preternatural, which means using the laws of nature but in an extraordinary manner. That means that it may one day be humanly possible to levitate off the ground like Simon the sorcerer (probably with the help of devils or angels). What Moses did was considered to be in the supernatural realm. Whatever the Egyptians did was either a trick or preternatural.

Incidentally, Angels were used to destroy the city of Sodom and Gomorrah with fire (get ready San Francisco).

DonkNitUP
04-15-2006, 12:47 AM
thanks both of you for the clarification on that

HLMencken
04-15-2006, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In reality, we don't know what kind of magic trick the Egyptians used. It was probably a sleight of hand trick, and not some "black magic of Satan" thingy, whereas what Moses did was a miracle of God.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, everyone now knows that Moses snake was the actual magic trick, and the God of the Egyptians is the one true god.

HLMencken
04-15-2006, 04:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's correct. There is the story of Simon Magus the sorcerer who flew into the air.

There is differentiation made between "supernatural" and "preternatural". It is said that only God can do something supernatural, which is an actual suspension of the laws of nature. The devils or sorcerers are considered capable of doing something preternatural, which means using the laws of nature but in an extraordinary manner. That means that it may one day be humanly possible to levitate off the ground like Simon the sorcerer (probably with the help of devils or angels). What Moses did was considered to be in the supernatural realm. Whatever the Egyptians did was either a trick or preternatural.

Incidentally, Angels were used to destroy the city of Sodom and Gomorrah with fire (get ready San Francisco).

[/ QUOTE ]

If anyone ever wanted to see just how far someone has to suspend rational belief to accept the Bible, Peter666 just provided ample evidence. Thanks Peter for showing just how ludicrous fundamental Christianity really is--you have served humanity well.

MrMon
04-15-2006, 09:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I only watched a brief part of the 10 commandments movie that came on but i was wondering...

Moses laid his walking cain (stick) whatever it was down and it turned into a snake in front of the pharoah. Pharoah called upon 2 people who laid down sticks that turned into snakes.

Obviously the Jewish God turned the stick into a snake for Moses. When pharoah called upon his people to lay down sticks to snakes, what God did that?

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP. You Christians need to stick to your half of the book.

Bigdaddydvo
04-15-2006, 11:15 PM
I think you all are missing the point.

God transformed Moses's stick into a snake, then allowed the Egyptian sticks to turn into snakes.

Why? So God could prove a point when Moses's snake PWNED Pharoh's snakes.