PDA

View Full Version : "culture" - should it be distinct, and where?

diebitter
01-10-2006, 04:58 AM
I posted a question on OOT yesterday about the interaction of film/music and culture in the last 100 years, but wasn't really sure it suited OOT. There's also other questions that get raised about 'culture' that don't really suit oot (eg one today about black culture and child-raising).

It strikes me 'culture' (meaning popular culture, human social interaction, society (other than politics) and suchlike) is a worthwhile area to distinguish out of OOT maybe. Not sure if should lump with politics or SMP. I think the latter...

SMP should perhaps become "Science, Philosophy, Culture" and maths go to probability?

Just a musing, wondered what people thought, and I'm particularly interested in what anyone in SMP, OOT or politics thinks.

BluffTHIS!
01-10-2006, 11:15 AM
Math is connected with science and should stay in SMP, where other types of mathematical questions, particularly on game theory, will get play when they would get lost in probabiility which has a narrow focus but is an active forum.

I am sure you find it frustrating to make a thread like you did and have it be 3 pages down in 5 minutes behind all the relationship and NSFW threads. So my suggestion again, is to make a separate forum for relationships and NSFW stuff, which is so big as to justifiy its own forum and also swamps the other stuff in OOT. Then the OOT would be the culture forum along with being a catchall for some "other" things.

ElaineMonster
01-10-2006, 12:28 PM
I don't think there are enough culture threads to warrant a separate forum.

diebitter
01-10-2006, 12:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think there are enough culture threads to warrant a separate forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. There's barely any. But I was wondering if it's worth teasing it out of OOT explicitly, is all.

BluffTHIS!
01-10-2006, 12:45 PM
My point is that relationships and NSFW pic threads is what should be teased out of OOT with its own forum. Then see what OOT becomes.

Troll_Inc
06-15-2007, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All,

Tug for admin!

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought you could read all the posts from 1/1/06 and on?

[/ QUOTE ]
Nit_Inc

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi tuqqerware!!!!

Edit/MH: By PM from Troll_Inc:

People (tuq and El D) were unclear on how far back the threads go, i.e. what is on the forum server. The answer is 1/1/06, which I demonstrated by bumping.

post #10802046

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...;gonew=1#UNREAD (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=10792708&an=0&page=0&gon ew=1#UNREAD)