PDA

View Full Version : Throat Scratching

RocketManJames
04-08-2006, 05:10 PM
I've always been able to scratch my throat. It's not the easiest thing to explain how to do, but those that know how to do it know exactly what I mean.

My question is more of a physiological one...

Exactly what is happening when I scratch my throat? What is actually doing the scratching? Because you can seriously scratch it too hard and cause pain, but is there anything really that rough inside?

-RMJ

RocketManJames
04-09-2006, 05:36 AM
*bump*

Surely, SOMEONE out there knows about the throat scrathing trick... anyone kind enoug ot shed some light on what does the scratching?

-RMJ

theweatherman
04-09-2006, 06:15 AM
I have no idea WTF you are talking about.

Brom
04-09-2006, 06:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have no idea WTF you are talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

madnak
04-09-2006, 07:46 AM
Are you talking about rubbing your muscles against each other to scratch a throat itch? Or maybe making your voice scratchy?

sykotic
04-09-2006, 10:04 AM
I can sort of scratch my throut with my tounge. .

chezlaw
04-09-2006, 04:30 PM
does it taste better with coke?

chez

RocketManJames
04-09-2006, 05:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you talking about rubbing your muscles against each other to scratch a throat itch? Or maybe making your voice scratchy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, when your throat gets itchy, you can kind of flex the muscles or something inside to kind of scratch. But, it certainly feels really rough, and I was curious as to exactly what is scratching what... and why does it feel the way it feels.

-RMJ

madnak
04-09-2006, 07:59 PM
Okay, after playing around a bit I think I know what you mean. It definitely feels rough. I don't know why. But it really doesn't seem very healthy.

RocketManJames
04-09-2006, 11:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Okay, after playing around a bit I think I know what you mean. It definitely feels rough. I don't know why. But it really doesn't seem very healthy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, we're getting somewhere... at least you know what I'm talking about now. I've been using this method to scratch my throat whenever it gets itchy since I was a kid. I know not to over-do it because it can (and has) caused pain. Just like when you scratch your arm, you can't scratch too hard or too long or it roughs up the skin.

I'm still curious exactly what's going on when I do the throat scratching.

For those that don't know how to do it... I found this online:

Link to some guy's blog that describes how to scratch your throat. (http://www.pauldavidson.net/2004/03/11/throat-scratching-and-gleek/)

-RMJ

Sephus
04-09-2006, 11:26 PM
you put your tongue on the back of your throat and pull part of it away, creating a difference in air pressure on each side of where your tongue and throat are touching. then you pull it away and the air rushes across the gap and pushes against your throat, which is snapping back into place (having bulged outward because you reduced the air pressure that was on it).

vhawk01
04-10-2006, 02:46 AM
As always, asking for medical advice on an internet forum is a very bad idea. That being said, I cant imagine any reasonable moderation causing any type of serious damage. You eat food and drink things like soda, etc, which are all MUCH more damaging than what I imagine you mean here. Your throat is covered with a very thick mucosal lining. I think you should be fine. But as with all things that you learned as a young kid and do to make yourself feel good...when it starts hurtin', stop it.

madnak
04-10-2006, 07:54 AM
What's the rough surface there?