PDA

View Full Version : Question for Sharkey

CallMeIshmael
04-08-2006, 01:22 AM
Because of this (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number=5350426) post, I will ask here:

Sharkey,

1. How old do you believe the earth is?
2. Do you believe in the big bang?

Sharkey
04-08-2006, 01:30 AM
I reserve talk about myself to my blog, which is at, let me see, where is that URL? Oh wait, there isn’t one. I don’t really post much about myself anywhere on the internet. It’s just not my thing, nor is it required under the TOS of this website.

So, thanks for asking, but I’d rather stick with debating the issues.

CallMeIshmael
04-08-2006, 01:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How is this not one of "the issues"??

OK, do you believe that radio-carbon dating (the type used to estimate the age of the earth) is "good science"?

chrisnice
04-08-2006, 01:55 AM
Let Sharkey be. His posts are certainly some of the most entertaining on this board. The man is entitled to his opinions and free to come to whatever conclusion he wishes. Just make sure that no one like him ever is in a position to influence education policy.

Copernicus
04-08-2006, 02:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Because of this (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number=5350426) post, I will ask here:

Sharkey,

[/ QUOTE ]

And now you have learned Sharkey's first principle of discussion...don't discuss, lest you be pinned down to anything concrete.

AJFenix
04-08-2006, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Sharkey,

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I reserve talk about myself to my blog, which is at, let me see, where is that URL? Oh wait, there isn’t one. I don’t really post much about myself anywhere on the internet. It’s just not my thing, nor is it required under the TOS of this website.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh? This IS debating the issues. Do you believe carbon dating to be accurate?

Kripke
04-08-2006, 06:30 PM
This discussion is pointless.

Sharkey is clearly nothing more than a skeptic. He has no alternative theory or view and Sharkey's main point is that any scientific theory could be wrong, how unlikely it may seem. In other words, his agenda amounts to nothing more than classic Humean and Cartesian skepticism.

Meanwhile, Sharkey uses a lot of fancy words and pretends to be well versed in logic. He is the type who would insist that asserting "I'm not repeating myself, I'm not repeating myself" is unproblematic, because it isn't logically contradictory.

oneeye13
04-08-2006, 08:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sharkey uses a lot of fancy words

[/ QUOTE ] maybe you meant... misuses?

CORed
04-09-2006, 07:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
OK, do you believe that radio-carbon dating (the type used to estimate the age of the earth) is "good science"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, radio-carbon dating only works back to about 50,000 years. It's used mostly in archaeology and recent paleontology. There are several other isotope ratios, related to decay of long half-life radioisotopes, that are used for geologic dating.

CallMeIshmael
04-10-2006, 01:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Actually, radio-carbon dating only works back to about 50,000 years. It's used mostly in archaeology and recent paleontology. There are several other isotope ratios, related to decay of long half-life radioisotopes, that are used for geologic dating.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I actually corrected myself in later posts. ("radiometric dating")

Its been a while since I've done this stuff

CallMeIshmael
12-28-2006, 09:11 PM
Skidoo (who I am in no way shape or form insinuating is Sharkey with thist post)... im also curious as to your thoughts on the questions in the OP

thylacine
12-28-2006, 09:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Skidoo (who I am in no way shape or form insinuating is Sharkey with thist post)... im also curious as to your thoughts on the questions in the OP

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm fairly new here. Who is Sharkey?

And I might as well ask, who else is Sharkey?

CallMeIshmael
12-28-2006, 09:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm fairly new here. Who is Sharkey?

And I might as well ask, who else is Sharkey?

[/ QUOTE ]

The shakster was a fairly infamous troll found in SMP waters in early 2006. (he posted in this thread if you want to check out his posts).

He and Skidoo are very likely the same person. In addition to similarities, I have outside evidence that Im not citing in the public forum.

Sharkey's main thing was evolution... bascically, if you couldnt show him a monkey birthing a man, then it cant be true.

Skidoo seems to be more into Jesus, and also posts in politics more than he did under Sharkey. But, they're the same person.

Hopey
12-28-2006, 11:10 PM
Shhhhh...if you keep saying mean things about Sharkey, he'll go whine to the mods about you again.

Skidoo
12-28-2006, 11:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that's quite an active day of trolling you've had.

Actually, if you were truly worried that I might be a troll (like you), the last thing you'd be doing is giving me so much attention. I mean, gosh, I almost have to pay you an agent's fee.

(Wait, it must be yourself that you are advertising, right pseudo-Colbert?)

The only reason I am responding to you at all is that this is a throwaway thread and therefore won't disrupt the scholarly discourse being conducted in this forum.

Even though I consider the fact that you are such a fan to be amusing in a pathetic sort of way, what concerns me is the annoyance you are causing other posters. However, that's for the moderators to decide.

Happy trolling.

CallMeIshmael
12-28-2006, 11:40 PM
I noticed you didnt deny the Skidoo=Sharkey claim

Is this because you are Sharkey?

If so, why did you stop posting under that old name?

Also... why can't you answer the questions in the OP?

PS... welcome back! we missed you!!!

Hopey
12-28-2006, 11:45 PM
I'm curious as to where he disappeared to over the last 6 months. Care to speculate?

CallMeIshmael
12-28-2006, 11:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm curious as to where he disappeared to over the last 6 months. Care to speculate?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_EKHK1C2IE

Hopey
12-28-2006, 11:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I put that on a tee for you, and you hit it out of the park.

CallMeIshmael
12-28-2006, 11:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I put that on a tee for you, and you hit it out of the park.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Like him or not, though... this forum is more interesting with him here, imo

Skidoo
12-31-2006, 11:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I noticed you didnt deny the Skidoo=Sharkey claim

Is this because you are Sharkey?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not Sharkey.

[ QUOTE ]
If so, why did you stop posting under that old name?

[/ QUOTE ]

As pointed out by Iron, that account was never banned.

[ QUOTE ]
Also... why can't you answer the questions in the OP?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can but would rather not at this time, if that's allowed.

Hopey
12-31-2006, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I am not Sharkey.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lies make baby Jesus cry.

CallMeIshmael
12-31-2006, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am not Sharkey.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you just happen to be posting from the same geographical location?

Gotcha, my bad.

Skidoo
12-31-2006, 05:25 PM
You don't know where I'm posting from.

CallMeIshmael
12-31-2006, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You don't know where I'm posting from.

[/ QUOTE ]

na·ive or na·ïve

ADJECTIVE:

Lacking worldly experience and understanding, especially:
Simple and guileless; artless: a child with a naive charm.
Unsuspecting or credulous: "Students, often bright but naive, betand losesubstantial sums of money on sporting events" (Tim Layden).

Skidoo
12-31-2006, 05:32 PM
You're not too long on logic.

CallMeIshmael
12-31-2006, 05:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're not too long on logic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm... I thought it was clear

You: You dont know where Im posting from
Me: you're naive if you think that

What part of that isnt clear to you?

Skidoo
12-31-2006, 05:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Hmmm... I thought it was clear

You: You dont know where Im posting from
Me: you're naive if you think that

What part of that isnt clear to you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, your part isn't clear at all.

I was in the business back in the 90s, so I have a pretty good idea of what you can and can't know about where my connections are originating.

CallMeIshmael
12-31-2006, 05:46 PM
Evidently things have changed in the last 10 years

Im sure the information I have is clear to others, and I assure them that this is most certainly sharkey, but I think we can end this here

Hopey
12-31-2006, 06:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I was in the business back in the 90s, so I have a pretty good idea of what you can and can't know about where my connections are originating.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm...and I remember Sharkey mentioning in a post awhile back that he has a degree in computer science. I guess it's just yet another Sharkey/Skidoo coincidence...

Skidoo
12-31-2006, 06:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hmmm...and I remember Sharkey mentioning in a post awhile back that he has a degree in computer science. I guess it's just yet another Sharkey/Skidoo coincidence...

[/ QUOTE ]

My degree is not in computer science, and I never said it was except perhaps in your imagination.

Time to up the medication.

CallMeIshmael
12-31-2006, 06:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was in the business back in the 90s

[/ QUOTE ]

Does that mean you lived in the silicon valley area?

Ive heard its nice!

madnak
12-31-2006, 06:22 PM
Are you guys trolling the troll? I'm not sure whether to be annoyed or pleased.

Skidoo
12-31-2006, 06:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you guys trolling the troll? I'm not sure whether to be annoyed or pleased.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a troll post.

CallMeIshmael
12-31-2006, 06:41 PM
Madnak,

Pleased

vhawk01
12-31-2006, 09:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Madnak,

Pleased

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. And the fun part is, I have been convinced to ingore Sharkey, so I get to play a guessing game when you neglect to quote him. It makes the hilarity that much greater.

Skidoo
12-31-2006, 09:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Agreed. And the fun part is, I have been convinced to ingore Sharkey, so I get to play a guessing game when you neglect to quote him. It makes the hilarity that much greater.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good riddance. Try as I might, I could never manage to catch a glimmer from you. There are a few other jellyfish who can take a hike as well.

Oddly enough, CallMeIshmael, even though you have given me nothing but grief since I started posting here, at least you seem to exhibit the occasional grasp of a concept, or maybe it's just because I like Colbert.

vhawk01
12-31-2006, 09:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
*** You are ignoring this user ***

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you didnt just respond seriously to my post admitting I am ignoring you.

madnak
12-31-2006, 10:11 PM
He just said you're a jellyfish who doesn't glimmer. I'm kind of jealous.

CallMeIshmael
12-31-2006, 10:31 PM
Madnak,

WTF???

YOU LEFT OFF THE MOST IMPORTANT PART

Skidoo: "CallMeIshmael...you seem...like Colbert"

vhawk01
12-31-2006, 10:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Madnak,

WTF???

YOU LEFT OFF THE MOST IMPORTANT PART

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif Damn you, Boro, this is why I dont ignore people! I am apparently missing out on solid gold.

Skidoo
12-31-2006, 10:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you didnt just respond seriously to my post admitting I am ignoring you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really, don't be so touchy, especially in a thread like this.

Skidoo
12-31-2006, 10:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm busted.

I just can't hate anyone who calls himself Colbert.

vhawk01
12-31-2006, 10:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so comical, I honestly fear it might be addictive.

Skidoo
12-31-2006, 10:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so comical, I honestly fear it might be addictive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm enjoying this too. It's the most intellectually responsive I've ever seen you.

Hopey
01-01-2007, 03:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

My degree is not in computer science, and I never said it was except perhaps in your imagination.

[/ QUOTE ]

ORLY (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=scimathphil&Number=533754 4&Searchpage=1&Main=5217088&Words=%26quot%3Binform ation+theory%26quot%3B+Sharkey&topic=&Search=true# Post5337544)

And yes, I realize that it is *Sharkey* who posted that he has experience in Computer Science, not Skidoo. However, if you expect us to believe that you're both not the same person, then you're more delusional than I originally took you for.

[ QUOTE ]

Time to up the medication.

[/ QUOTE ]

You first.

Skidoo
01-01-2007, 12:16 PM
For some reason, this thread has been allowed to continue, so I guess it's okay to pursue this.

Why is it you think I'm also another poster?

Please show me what makes you think that.

I mean specifically, not general impressions.

Hopey
01-01-2007, 01:11 PM
Exhibit number 1: Sharkey at his finest. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=5217088&page=0&fpart=1&v c=1)

Exhibit number 2: The trolling of Skidoo (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=scimathphil&Number=859659 5&Searchpage=2&Main=8574128&Words=Skidoo&topic=&Se arch=true#Post8596595)

Exhibit number 3: More Skidoo gibberish (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=scimathphil&Number=854344 3&Searchpage=5&Main=8503428&Words=Skidoo&topic=&Se arch=true#Post8543443)

Skidoo
01-01-2007, 01:36 PM
Look, I don't want to spoil the fun you're having, but will you pretty please with sugar on it show me SPECIFICALLY where I have posted anything that makes it impossible or at least very improbable that I am not the same person as this other poster.

CallMeIshmael
01-01-2007, 02:57 PM
Skidoo,

do you agree that it is at the very least interesting, that several posters accused you of being Sharkey BEFORE it was found out that you are also posting from the same location he did?

Skidoo
01-01-2007, 03:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Skidoo,

do you agree that it is at the very least interesting, that several posters accused you of being Sharkey BEFORE it was found out that you are also posting from the same location he did?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a vague similarity of style, true enough, but that can be said of several groups of posters in the various 2+2 forums. That's to be expected. Beyond that, the only thing evident is that Sharkey and I share certain opinions on issues, but there again is nothing all that rare. Both of these things happening together is not sufficient grounds for this campaign against me, which I suspect is really about the positions I have taken. Something similar happened to Carded when he got the Sharkey treatment.

I've already told you that you don't know where I'm posting from. All of my IP traffic is colocated.

CallMeIshmael
01-01-2007, 04:33 PM

madnak
01-01-2007, 11:53 PM
Call me naive, but I actually think he might be telling the truth. (Yeah, I'm probably just really naive.)

Still, Skidoo can hardly deny the similarities between some of his posts and some of these from that thread:

[ QUOTE ]
Give me an example of one mutually fertile group developing into another in a manner sufficient for the creation of the present diversity of species.

[/ QUOTE ]

(Sounds familiar?)

[ QUOTE ]
What has not been shown, through fossils or living specimens, is any mechanism of selection producing a novel mutually fertile population in a way that can be extrapolated to the creation of significantly distinct species.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
The way bacteria produce offspring genetically different from both parents cannot be extrapolated to the creation of the present diversity of species.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
How do you account for the random divergence in traits that affects fertility between the populations not causing infertility within the populations?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, my argument with evolution is that it’s bad science, not because of any contradiction with Genesis.

[/ QUOTE ]

That should be enough. The thing is, you've said basically exactly the same thing as Sharkey on multiple occasions. The similarities are definitely striking, and represent sufficient evidence, prima facie, to indict you. That doesn't necessarily mean you're Sharkey, but if you deny that it's a reasonable hypothesis, that will only hurt your case (and basically everyone will believe you're Sharkey in that case, because if you weren't you'd be struck by the similarities between yourself and this older poster).

Hopey
01-02-2007, 12:34 AM
I'm willing to concede that it's possible that they're two different people. For instance, they may be two religious nuts who just happen to both be plagiarizing the same "Creationism for Dummies" book in order to craft their arguments. If one of them admits doing this, then I'll be willing to eat crow and admit that I was wrong.

My gut tells me that they're the same person, though. The writing styles, pompous attitudes, pseudo-science mumbo-jumbo, and unwillingness to answer direct questions are all too similar.

Skidoo
01-02-2007, 01:45 AM
Madnak,

Just before I started posting here, I was lurking in an evolution thread and witnessed some fruitcake accuse Carded of being Sharkey, which predisposed me to simply dismiss the same when it first came my way. I probably shouldn't have done that, because then the accusation, which does have a superficial credibility as you say, went unrebutted.

The arguments this Sharkey fellow makes are natural for a critic of the official version of the origin of the species, as they address the fundamental weaknesses of the theory, so it's no surprise there's a similarity there, though I would certainly use different phraseology.

madnak
01-02-2007, 01:59 AM
The problem is that those arguments haven't been presented by most of the dissenters here. You and Sharkey in particular have presented certain arguments that have been unique. I think it's usually wise to overly skeptical online - we all know how frequent scams and frauds are, and it's very easy to classify someone quickly and abruptly based on only general tendencies.

Perhaps the reason I find you more credible than the others is because I've actually heard the very same arguments before - years ago, living in Salt Lake City, I knew a Mormon kid who was very similar in his approach.