PDA

View Full Version : Extraterrestial Beings Visiting the Earth

morphball
04-07-2006, 05:30 PM
The other day there was a show on one the discovery networks talking about UFO Hunters. Some of the evidence they said they found would be pretty compelling to me if true.

For example, they dealt with supposed alien abductions with doctors removing small pieces of metal from people's limbs. Supposedly the metals were emitting radio frequency's when inside the limbs. Next they said these metals were surrounded by nerve cells and had no inflammatory responses. They said this was unnatural for foreign bodies, and the speculated the metal was using the electricity from the nerves for power.

They dealt with Russian documents released since the fall of the KGB dealing with USO's, or unidentified submersible objects. Supposedly the Russians tried to capture one and several people died.

Some of the stuff seemed "hoaxy" but these two seemed pretty interesting. Any one have thoughts on this?

If there were UFO's why would the governments hide this? Second, could they even hide it? If more than three people know about something, it seems sooner or later the word will get out. Maybe shows like this are the start, I don't know...

guesswest
04-07-2006, 05:51 PM
One thing that occurs to me - what kind of metal? If it's a known kind seems pretty unlikely it'd be extra-terrestrial.

bunny
04-07-2006, 08:34 PM
I dont think there have ever been extra-terrestrial visitations. If there were there would be more credible accounts and harder evidence.

I lived with a woman for 5 years with an obsessions with anything ufo-y. She had so many books, videos, etc etc - they were all clearly frauds from just a cursory examination (one favorite of mine, written in 1968 explained how they had a base on the far side of the moon, which he'd been to, full of plants, animals, etc all living in eden-like harmony - my girlfriend believed everything else in it and when I pointed out this bit said "you know, there are some things you just cant test).

She also believed in astrology, reincarnation and that she could mentally communicate with her plants.

luckyme
04-07-2006, 10:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
She also believed in astrology, reincarnation and that she could mentally communicate with her plants.

[/ QUOTE ]

And who wouldn't 'respect her beliefs' and want her to pass laws based on them. I can't prove her wrong, so she's a likely to be right as I am. ( isn't that how the argument goes).

luckyme

TimWillTell
04-08-2006, 01:10 AM
The world is not a friendly place, my gues is: the universe is not a friendly place either.
If aliens would have discovered the earth and where capable of paying us a visit, Im am sure we would have a senario, quite similar to what happened when America was discovered.
(we all know what happened to the Indians, sorry, native Americans)
Even if these alians would be civeliced, they would come up with a reason to attack us. (weapons of mass distruction, or whatever)
They would rule this planet in no-time.
The fact that we're still in control is the proof that the alians are not there. (yet)

TimWillTell
04-08-2006, 01:12 AM
just as long as the sex is any good...

Metric
04-08-2006, 04:42 AM
I tend to agree with this variation of Fermi's paradox. Lots of intelligent ET's out there pretty much imply that the earth gets colonized, under very conservative and general assumptions.

theweatherman
04-08-2006, 02:53 PM
This Book (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0425074811/sr=8-1/qid=1144522349/ref=sr_1_1/002-4309640-7034429?%5Fencoding=UTF8) talks about it a lot.

chezlaw
04-08-2006, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I tend to agree with this variation of Fermi's paradox. Lots of intelligent ET's out there pretty much imply that the earth gets colonized, under very conservative and general assumptions.

[/ QUOTE ]
and where are the von Neumann machines?

Some said that John von Neumann was an alien but had learnt to imitate humans almost perfectly.

chez

Metric
04-08-2006, 04:46 PM
I may start another thread concerning this sometime this weekend -- I have a few thoughts on how intelligent species will eventually meet based on some "Fermi paradox" arguments merged with "technological singularity" arguments. The picture is very abstract, of course, and doesn't involve visitors to earth.

purnell
04-08-2006, 08:03 PM
If they are intelligent enough to get here, we will not know they are here until they want us to. I think the most likely "invasion" scenario is one where they send machines ahead to inspect/prepare the way, most likely nano-sized bots of some kind. That is, in the unlikely event that alien beings capable of interstellar travel actually exist.

henrikrh
04-08-2006, 08:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One thing that occurs to me - what kind of metal? If it's a known kind seems pretty unlikely it'd be extra-terrestrial.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? There are only a certain amount of stable metal elements, and why are the alloys that we find proatical likely to be much different from the ones aliens would use.

I don't for a second believe in UFOs space is too vast to travel, life is complex and rare. I think of it as a percentage, and the chance that extraterrestrial life exists is porbably a decent chance, that it exists within 10 light-years of Earth, not as good, that it would be intelligent enough to build ships that could traevl through space and find us, so unlikely we might as well call it impossible.

CORed
04-09-2006, 01:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. Any planet in this universe will have the same 92 stable elements the earth has. An extra-terrestrial civilization might come up with alloys different from what we use, but not necessarily, the same laws of physius and chemistry apply to them.

That said, I don't believe the claims. Unfortunately, there are some real flakes out there with MD's. Unless somebody from a reputable institution documents these claims of objects removed from alleged alien abductees in a peer-reviewd medical or scientific journal, I would suggest be highly disinclined to believe them.

Interestingly enough, I saw a program on National Geographic Channel recently that took a highly skiptical view of UFO claime. One interesting thing they borugh out was that all of the "memories" of alien abductions were "recovered" under hypnosis. It's pretty well established that false memories can be planted under hypnosis, be they of alien abductions, past lives, or childhood sexual abusse that never happened.

NWCougar
04-12-2006, 04:07 AM
If beings have the ability to travel to Earth, then it is possible that they are so advanced that they may have no need for war.

The Gov't would cover it up to avoid mass histeria. People of all religions would condemn the ET's as demons and would fight them. Also the Gov't would want to know everything about them before they made anything public.

It is also possible that ET's have evolved to a level that is beyond hate and war, but they also know that we are not capable of existing without war and they are avoiding contact untill we evolve to a competant level.

PoBoy321
04-12-2006, 04:22 AM
http://www.cnn.com/TECH/space/2000.and.beyond/search.for.life/images/id4.lrg.jpg