PDA

View Full Version : Where in the NT does it say...

slickpoppa
04-05-2006, 06:43 PM
that people no longer have to follow Jewish dietary laws? I'm looking for exact chapters and verses.

TYI

LadyWrestler
04-06-2006, 06:27 PM
Re: "Where in the NT does it say...that people no longer have to follow Jewish dietary laws? I'm looking for exact chapters and verses."

As far as I know, there never were any Jewish dietary laws.

purnell
04-06-2006, 09:26 PM
Mark 7:18-19. Paraphrased: Things that go into a man cannot defile him. It is the things that come out of a man that can defile him.

felson
04-06-2006, 11:28 PM
Also, see Acts 10.

slickpoppa
04-07-2006, 01:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

As far as I know, there never were any Jewish dietary laws.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not eating pork?

slickpoppa
04-07-2006, 01:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, see Acts 10.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have clarified. I'm looking for something from one of the 4 gospels. (ie something that was allegedly said by Jesus)

PoBoy321
04-07-2006, 05:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, see Acts 10.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have clarified. I'm looking for something from one of the 4 gospels. (ie something that was allegedly said by Jesus)

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it was ever explicitly mentioned in any of the Gospels. In Acts, at the Council of Jerusalem, they decide that in order to make it easier for gentiles to convert, they wouldn't require them to be circumsized or follow all Jewish dietary laws. It's in Acts 15:13-21.

FredBoots
04-07-2006, 11:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, see Acts 10.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it was ever explicitly mentioned in any of the Gospels. In Acts, at the Council of Jerusalem, they decide that in order to make it easier for gentiles to convert, they wouldn't require them to be circumsized or follow all Jewish dietary laws. It's in Acts 15:13-21.

[/ QUOTE ]

From my reading, it sounds like Christians still can’t eat blood or meat that hasn’t had the blood drained from it.

15:28 For it seemed best to the Holy Spirit and to us not to place any greater burden on you than these necessary rules: 15:29 that you abstain from meat that has been sacrificed to idols and from blood and from what has been strangled and from sexual immorality. If you keep yourselves from doing these things, you will do well. Farewell.

LadyWrestler
04-07-2006, 11:40 AM
Chapter and verse of where I can find the Jewish dietary law against eating pork?

slickpoppa
04-08-2006, 06:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Chapter and verse of where I can find the Jewish dietary law against eating pork?

[/ QUOTE ]

Leviticus 11:1-8

1 The LORD said to Moses and Aaron, 2 "Say to the Israelites: 'Of all the animals that live on land, these are the ones you may eat: 3 You may eat any animal that has a split hoof completely divided and that chews the cud.
4 " 'There are some that only chew the cud or only have a split hoof, but you must not eat them. The camel, though it chews the cud, does not have a split hoof; it is ceremonially unclean for you. 5 The coney, [a] though it chews the cud, does not have a split hoof; it is unclean for you. 6 The rabbit, though it chews the cud, does not have a split hoof; it is unclean for you. 7 And the pig, though it has a split hoof completely divided, does not chew the cud; it is unclean for you. 8 You must not eat their meat or touch their carcasses; they are unclean for you.

MidGe
04-08-2006, 07:21 PM
slickpoppa,

The OP was about where to find it in the New Testament?

CallMeIshmael
04-08-2006, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
slickpoppa,

The OP was about where to find it in the New Testament?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe he was responding to a question other than the OP

MidGe
04-08-2006, 08:00 PM
Indeed, I can see that now. My bad... sorry /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Siegmund
04-09-2006, 05:37 PM
If I remember from my churchgoing days, the key is that Jesus says to his disciples something like "I am making with you a new covenant," and this is taken to mean that all of the Mosaic Law ended at that time and was replaced by Jesus's various teachings.

@Fredboots: yes, the NT does indeed say Christians must pour out the blood of an animal before they eat its flesh, and many of the more fundamentalist groups do adhere to this. I remember hunter friends in my childhood discussing which meat packing shops handled the meat acceptably or whether they had to drain their own...

surftheiop
04-09-2006, 06:04 PM
I didnt read the other posts but here is your answer in Mark chapter 7(one of the gospels)

14Again Jesus called the crowd to him and said, "Listen to me, everyone, and understand this. 15Nothing outside a man can make him 'unclean' by going into him. Rather, it is what comes out of a man that makes him 'unclean.' "[f]

17After he had left the crowd and entered the house, his disciples asked him about this parable. 18"Are you so dull?" he asked. "Don't you see that nothing that enters a man from the outside can make him 'unclean'? 19For it doesn't go into his heart but into his stomach, and then out of his body." (In saying this, Jesus declared all foods "clean.")

madnak
04-09-2006, 08:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I didnt read the other posts but here is your answer in Mark chapter 7(one of the gospels)

14Again Jesus called the crowd to him and said, "Listen to me, everyone, and understand this. 15Nothing outside a man can make him 'unclean' by going into him. Rather, it is what comes out of a man that makes him 'unclean.' "[f]

17After he had left the crowd and entered the house, his disciples asked him about this parable. 18"Are you so dull?" he asked. "Don't you see that nothing that enters a man from the outside can make him 'unclean'? 19For it doesn't go into his heart but into his stomach, and then out of his body." (In saying this, Jesus declared all foods "clean.")

[/ QUOTE ]

Yay drugs!

FredBoots
04-10-2006, 01:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The parenthetic comment is not the word of God, but added by some scribe (e.g., the word “foods” is not found anywhere else in the NT), and therefore suspect. If you read the beginning of Mark, chapter 7, you see Jesus was talking about not washing your hands before eating kosher food, not about non-kosher food.