PDA

View Full Version : Tourney hand

SA125
04-03-2006, 02:56 PM
Live - two tables of 7&7 started with $1500 in chips. We're at the 3rd level, $75-150 with $15 ante and $25 BI. I've been card dead and tight, dragging one small pot up till now and have about $900 left.

I raise the BI with AQ Q, get re-raised by a TAG with XX 4d and we're h/u. I've played cash games with him before and can't see him 3 betting me without AA,KK or 444.

4th bricks us both and I ch/c.
5th bricks me and he gets the Qd.
xx 4d x Qd.
AQ Q x x. I ch/fold. Comments?

BTW - in my other tourney question post Alex commented that playing starting hands differently, depending on the stage, is wrong. That can't be true when you reach the showdown poker levels in a stud tourney. Without question your stategy changes because you're playing one hand do or die.

jon_1van
04-03-2006, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've played cash games with him before and can't see him 3 betting me without AA,KK or 444.

[/ QUOTE ]

-Are you sure he plays tourneys the same way he plays cash games (this shouldn't be true if he's good at both)

-Could your raise have been considered a steal?

-In live limit tourneys you can't "wait" for a good spot unless the buyin is very large (and hense you get lots of time per level). Unless you think you can see another 20 hands before you're sitting at 150-300 I say you jam 3rd and hope to be ahead/draw out.

-Could the opponent have AdKd4d on 3rd? or something similar

SA125
04-03-2006, 05:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
-Are you sure he plays tourneys the same way he plays cash games (this shouldn't be true if he's good at both)

-Could your raise have been considered a steal?

-In live limit tourneys you can't "wait" for a good spot unless the buyin is very large (and hense you get lots of time per level). Unless you think you can see another 20 hands before you're sitting at 150-300 I say you jam 3rd and hope to be ahead/draw out.

-Could the opponent have AdKd4d on 3rd? or something similar

[/ QUOTE ]

1 - There's little room to splash around in this structure. No one was calling raises with marginal hands. Every 3rd was raised and few got past 5th.

2 - Possibly. I think there may have been an A up between us that folded, but I wasn't positive so left it out.

3 - You may be right, but would like to hear some other opinions too about basically going do or die on that hand, where you almost surely need to catch on 6th or 7th and still might not be good. I thought folding gave me one more shot with about $650 to catch good and go with it.

4 - I could be wrong but I'd say he calls with the 3 fl rather than re-raises.

Spladle
04-03-2006, 06:29 PM
Sounds like an expert laydown.

SA125
04-03-2006, 08:03 PM
He showed me two red K's. I thought at the time, with about $650 left, I should wait for one more shot knowing it would cost me $300 to try and improve. Not so sure now though because doubling there would've helped a lot, even if I was drawing slim.

I busted on the next level with TT K vs KK A.

jon_1van
04-03-2006, 08:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1 - There's little room to splash around in this structure. No one was calling raises with marginal hands. Every 3rd was raised and few got past 5th.

[/ QUOTE ]

I definetly hear what you're saying here. But realize that a preimum hand won't be dealt every hand. So some of those hands that are raised 3rd are probably steals. (Because with little room to splash you have to try to get every possible chip you can) Make sure you get in your fair share of steals.

If you are very confident you are beat you should fold. But if you aren't confident you may just risk it here.