PDA

View Full Version : Article with extended analysis of HR 4777

grapabo
04-01-2006, 06:09 PM
This article at Cardplayer kind of puts together a lot of the stuff that has been discussed before, plus some other stuff.

http://www.cardplayer.com/pokerlaw/

This is on the Internet Gambling Prohibition bill that's in the House Judiciary Committee, not the Internet Enforcement bill (HR 4411) that got voted out of the House Financial Services Committee a couple of weeks ago.

pokerman1
04-01-2006, 11:11 PM
A very good analysis of the bill. If it would pass, we must see if they go after players. I don't think this bill mentions the players anywhere. I will see what Raymer and Moneymaker do, because they have a contract to play online at a popular website. If they continue playing, I will too.

BluffTHIS!
04-02-2006, 10:46 PM
I'm not impressed with much I read in CP, especially regarding poker strategy. But Allyn Schulman's article is very impressive. She analyzed all the points of impact of the proposed legislation, the legal basis of same, and whether it would have any practical effect if passed (not). This is the most thorough analysis I have seen, and it is especially positive that she notes that the US govt really would have no way of stopping US banks from facilitating transfers from checking accounts to Neteller or other such middlemen. The only potentially troublesome effect of such legislation would be if the govt aggressively tries to get ISPs to enforce the ban if the ISPs don't fight it. However I would think that they would have a strong interest in fighting it not only for its difficulties, but also how that would set precedents for other onerous censorship burdens placed on ISPs who are being made the enforcers.