PDA

View Full Version : God Can't Make Exceptions?

David Sklansky
01-08-2006, 06:38 PM
Not Ready has often stated that no one can presume to know who will be saved and who will not. In fact to do so, is a sin. But he has also stated that it is impossible to be saved without a belief in Jesus. That contradicts the first statement unless you eliminate the "will not" part. In other words, many Christians do think that there are some people who you can presume definitely won't be saved unless they change their beliefs.

But I'm wondering if that is theologically iron clad. Even if it comes from the Bible. There are many laws on the books that everyone knows has UNWRITTEN exceptions. PURPOSELY unwritten. Because they must be evaluated on a case by case basis. The defendent must throw himself on the mercy of the court and can't be allowed to point to a written rule that would automatically let him off the hook.

Everyone knows they will probably not be prosecuted for running a red light if they are rushing their child to a hospital. But if it is a busy intercestion and/or the injury is not grave, it might be different. So society doesn't want to spell out those specifc times you can expect to be forgiven for breaking the law.

Do Protestants believe that God is incapable of making exceptions (like in the case of the elderly chemist in my other thread) just because it isn't mentioned in the Bible?

Madtown
01-08-2006, 07:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do Protestants believe that God is incapable of making exceptions (like in the case of the elderly chemist in my other thread) just because it isn't mentioned in the Bible?

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to clarify the question.

Are you asking what the majority of Protestants believe? Are you asking what the individual Protestants of this board believe? Or are you asking what the official Protestant line on this is?

If it's the latter, then you have to realize that "Protestant" is a very denominational division of Christianity and thus there are huge disagreements between different denominations all calling themselves "Protestant." I'd guess that the majority of Protestant denominations would say that specifically accepting Jesus as a savior is absolutely necessary, but I'd also wager there are several others who would allow for exceptions. Protestant denominations really do run the gamut on any given issue.

As for what the majority of Protestants believe, I'd say that the majority are less fundamental about religion than their denomination implies and thus the majority would be believe exceptions are made for highly moral people -- that is, if they've even thought about it that much.

Personally, I was raised United Methodist, went through some bible study with some Baptist friends (didn't "convert"), and have taken a handful of religious studies courses here at UW to get a certificate/minor in that dept. I believe in exceptions. I also expect that if Christ truly was the son of God, then there's going to be a lot of disappointed Christians on their judgement. I'll probably be one of them.

Jacob_Gilliam
01-08-2006, 07:06 PM
If you literally believe every word is true, then no, because there can be no salvation without christ. If you believe the bible is merely inspired by god, then exeptions can exist. But most fundamentalist or born-again christians don't believe this.

lisue49
01-09-2006, 12:27 AM
Mr.Sklansky,
The scriptures are clear and I do not understand your confusion. As far as exceptions, if they exist, that is not for man to know. And if you truly believe as you stated in an earlier thread, that you can live with the hope of a lemur, (an endangered species) why do you continue to inquire?

Thank you.

Respectfully submitted.

Shandrax
01-09-2006, 07:06 AM
What I don't understand about the bible stuff is this:

The bible was written by humans, right? Ok, now how come a creature as stupid as a human can write a book that explains god and the universe? It's like Chris Moneymaker trying to explain the plays of Chris Fergusson. While god could definitely write a book on humans, it doesn't work the other way around!

There is no way one can take the bible serious nor the guys who are trying to interpret it, simply because they all don't know what they are talking about.

godBoy
01-09-2006, 07:28 AM
The bible contains, the books of moses, the history books, the wisdom books, the prophets, the new testament. The whole book is not built upon peoples revelations from God. People have lived and loved God, their stories have been recorded, this makes up a great deal of the bible.

MidGe
01-09-2006, 07:47 AM
There are much larger historical records than the bible!

behemoth2006
01-09-2006, 10:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The bible contains, the books of moses, the history books, the wisdom books, the prophets, the new testament. The whole book is not built upon peoples revelations from God. People have lived and loved God, their stories have been recorded, this makes up a great deal of the bible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you write for Bush? I mean, there's an entire post with lots of pretty words, and you didn't actually say anything. Was that your Strategery?

David, it says in the bible that every man will have the spirit of god shown to him in some way. The only way that Christians could honestly take that seriously if they ever thought about it would be to concede that god's spirit, in many cases, is going to take on the form of whatever religion is practiced around that person.

Since most religions are simply there to make you a good person, i.e. wwjd, by following the one you have around you, you are following God, therefore pearly gates, here you come!

Otherwise they would have to admit that god is unjust and vindictive, because tribesmen in Africa who have never seen a white person, or heard of Jesus, would have an express ticket to the only place hotter than where they live.

However, many Christians won't try to explain this, they will just do that thing where they don't think about something, and just say, "God said it, it must be true"

x vikram
01-09-2006, 11:39 AM
"Exceptions" is a problematic word.