PDA

View Full Version : How smart are most of you?

siegfriedandroy
03-27-2006, 07:28 AM
I get the feeling from reading this section that I am smarter than most of you. Poor arguments, foolish ad hominem attacks, etc. I'd like to know if my assessment is correct. Am I smarter than most of you? This would surely be an arrogant assertion and likely taboo. But why? Many of you are atheists, therefore be not offended. If you are, then f*ck you. MY morality entails not being offended by such petit and utterly harmless arrogance. How can we measure intelligence? IQ, standardized tests, etc? All probably poor means, but we will start there. State your IQ, any standardized test scores (SAT, LSAT, ACT, GMAT), etc. I am definitely above average, but not great. But my hypothesis is that I am smarter than most of you, but definitely not all of you. Am I right?

IQ: 138
SAT: 1490
LSAT: 169

MidGe
03-27-2006, 07:34 AM
only 138??

Ah, well!

siegfriedandroy
03-27-2006, 07:40 AM
Hehe! That explains my foolish and rudimentary thinking! What is yours, smarty pants!?

siegfriedandroy
03-27-2006, 07:48 AM
did i spell 'petit' right?? I am a good speller but have no idea how that word is spelled!! Man I got loaded tonight! Cheers 2'ers!

Pauwl
03-27-2006, 07:57 AM
I have no idea what my actual IQ is, but I took one of those quick internet tests and got like 157, but one of the questions involved the theorem of Pythagoris so if you weren't taught that in school then the test isn't really fair. I've never written SATs or LSATs so I have no clue there(I'm from Canada). I wouldn't mind knowing what some popular SMPers have for a degree or education. For instance I know that Borodog has like a Phd in physics and Diebitter has an advanced degree but what about ChezLaw, Midge, NotReady, etc?

MidGe
03-27-2006, 07:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hehe! That explains my foolish and rudimentary thinking! What is yours, smarty pants!?

[/ QUOTE ]
Umm.. you don't know much do you? Which standard do you mean (they are not all equivalent)? You are likely merely at the entry point for mensa, which, imo, is a very easy and quite meaningless test. [sorry mensa /images/graemlins/smile.gif ] /images/graemlins/smile.gif

chezlaw
03-27-2006, 08:10 AM
You drink Bodingtons, I drink Abbots

Nuff said.

chez

3 minute hero
03-27-2006, 08:13 AM
How can i guage my intelligence, we do not use SAT or LSAT in the U.K.?

CrayZee
03-27-2006, 08:15 AM
I don't know what my IQ is, but I hear that online poker is rigged and eventually you'll go "BUSTO!"

MidGe
03-27-2006, 08:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You drink Bodingtons, I drink Abbots

Nuff said.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

Now... that's some intelligence! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jshuttlesworth
03-27-2006, 08:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I get the feeling from reading this section that I am smarter than most of you.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Am I right?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are almost certainly not smarter than I. PM me if you really want my results.

JimNashe
03-27-2006, 09:47 AM
I think it speaks volumes about the OPs lack of common-sense that he thought his post would yield any reasonable responses.

miketurner
03-27-2006, 09:48 AM
Most smart people wouldn’t spend very much time in this forum. That being said, I have posted here in the past... but I’m cutting down, so at least I’m getting smarter. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

HedonismBot
03-27-2006, 09:52 AM
You're not smarter than me but all is not lost, you are much more pretentious /images/graemlins/cool.gif

traz
03-27-2006, 09:54 AM
I'm really good at those sudoku puzzles

Borgland
03-27-2006, 10:24 AM
I scored a 139 on a IQ test once. 140 is considered genius level. That one point pisses me off and MENSA wont return my calls. Elitist bastards.

RJT
03-27-2006, 11:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
MY morality entails not being offended by such petit and utterly harmless arrogance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I am not so smart, because I have no idea what this means.

diebitter
03-27-2006, 11:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have no idea what my actual IQ is, but I took one of those quick internet tests and got like 157, but one of the questions involved the theorem of Pythagoris so if you weren't taught that in school then the test isn't really fair. I've never written SATs or LSATs so I have no clue there(I'm from Canada). I wouldn't mind knowing what some popular SMPers have for a degree or education. For instance I know that Borodog has like a Phd in physics and Diebitter has an advanced degree but what about ChezLaw, Midge, NotReady, etc?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a PhD too. And I know enough about things to know that an IQ test is a paltry measure of anyone's abilities (even if it were correct).

henrikrh
03-27-2006, 11:55 AM
OP got no EQ thinking people would take this [censored] seriously. You beat me by a few marks on both SAT and IQ, but you write like a complete nit.

Phil153
03-27-2006, 12:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a PhD too.

[/ QUOTE ]
English lit or Anthropology? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Rduke55
03-27-2006, 01:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a PhD too. And I know enough about things to know that an IQ test is a paltry measure of anyone's abilities (even if it were correct).

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone that quotes their own IQ is most likely a huge jackass.
IQ tests are a terrible measure of intelligence. For determining disability they're pretty decent.

I was amazed when I read the OP. That someone would post something like that is hilarious.
Actually, considering the forum, I really shouldn't be that surprised.

And even if someone is dumber than the OP, couldn't their education trump his standardized test scores when they are arguing about certain subjects?
ex. Blah, blah, blah, brain, blah, blah, blah
Me: Well based on my many years in neuroscience - blah blah blah
OP: Blah blah blah - I can figure out which number is missing from a series in a multiple choice questions so clearly I'm right.

mostsmooth
03-27-2006, 01:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but one of the questions involved the theorem of Pythagoris so if you weren't taught that in school then the test isn't really fair

[/ QUOTE ]
this makes no sense.

Rduke55
03-27-2006, 01:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have posted here in the past... but I’m cutting down, so at least I’m getting smarter. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably the best indication of a smart man.

RJT
03-27-2006, 02:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but one of the questions involved the theorem of Pythagoris so if you weren't taught that in school then the test isn't really fair

[/ QUOTE ]
this makes no sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure it does. For example - we want to compare the intelligence of two individuals. One has learned the Pythagorean Theorem and the other has not. The one who has learned (or even just heard what it is) it has an advantage and we are not comparing intelligence alone.

Now if we state the PT and then ask a question relative to it, we now have an even playing field and can compare the two people and how smart they are in comprehending the question.

RJT
03-27-2006, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...ChezLaw, Midge, NotReady, etc?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can’t comment on the others (well I can, but isn’t relevant to my joke here) but chez has been referred to by one influential poster here (actually pretty much former poster) as another 1400+ SATer…

They don’t have SATs in England, so we will never know. ( I think the comment was 1400 I might be giving him the benefit of the doubt – lol. Either way, he got game.)

(Yeah, chez I remember – it is how you and I met here online.)

mostsmooth
03-27-2006, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
this makes no sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure it does. For example - we want to compare the intelligence of two individuals. One has learned the Pythagorean Theorem and the other has not. The one who has learned (or even just heard what it is) it has an advantage and we are not comparing intelligence alone.

Now if we state the PT and then ask a question relative to it, we now have an even playing field and can compare the two people and how smart they are in comprehending the question.

[/ QUOTE ]
ok, so i can contest every question in the test claiming i was never taught that?
damn, i would have had a lot to complain about in the verbal portion of the test.

RJT
03-27-2006, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
this makes no sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
ok, so i can contest every question in the test claiming i was never taught that?
damn, i would have had a lot to complain about in the verbal portion of the test.

[/ QUOTE ]

Theoretically that is correct. I think this is a big (the) reason why tests aren’t taken as “Gospel”. Especially culturally-wise – the whole race thing, etc. (Let’s not get into that again.)

The point in question though is that this assumes a bit more than the basics. (I know PT is fairly basic. Relatively speaking. (It is all relative actually.)

mostsmooth
03-27-2006, 02:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
this makes no sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Theoretically that is correct. I think this is a big (the) reason why tests aren’t taken as “Gospel”. Especially culturally-wise – the whole race thing, etc. (Let’s not get into that again.)

The point in question though is that this assumes a bit more than the basics. (I know PT is fairly basic. Relatively speaking. (It is all relative actually.)

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah, im just saying either the whole thing is fair or its not. cant just say a certain question is unfair. the whole test is about trying to find out what you know and dont know.

madnak
03-27-2006, 03:22 PM
I have a huge penis. Do you want to see a picture of it?

keikiwai
03-27-2006, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
did i spell 'petit' right?? I am a good speller but have no idea how that word is spelled!! Man I got loaded tonight! Cheers 2'ers!

[/ QUOTE ]

If you meant "small" in French then yes. If you meant "petty" then no.

Bad spelling is just a sign of typing too fast. Asking whether you spelled it right is a sign of being a tool (maybe a tool with a sense of humor though... I'll give you that).

Spending the time to complete an IQ test is the sign of being a complete mental brick however... no matter how you look at it...

chezlaw
03-27-2006, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...ChezLaw, Midge, NotReady, etc?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can’t comment on the others (well I can, but isn’t relevant to my joke here) but chez has been referred to by one influential poster here (actually pretty much former poster) as another 1400+ SATer…

They don’t have SATs in England, so we will never know. ( I think the comment was 1400 I might be giving him the benefit of the doubt – lol. Either way, he got game.)

(Yeah, chez I remember – it is how you and I met here online.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Its on my cv /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Two more guys who got seven hundred something on their math SAT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Piers was the other guy.

chez

RJT
03-27-2006, 04:02 PM
CV? What's a cv? Speak English, man. Just kidding, kiddo. I get the idea. We just don't use that abbreviation over here.

diebitter
03-27-2006, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a PhD too.

[/ QUOTE ]
English lit or Anthropology? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Poon.
. <font color="white"> I kid. Ecology and AI </font> .

MatthewRyan
03-27-2006, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I scored a 139 on a IQ test once. 140 is considered genius level. That one point pisses me off and MENSA wont return my calls. Elitist bastards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Incorrect. 160 is genius.

MatthewRyan
03-27-2006, 06:39 PM
IQ test results: 156, 157 and 159.

SAT - only 1250

billygrippo
03-27-2006, 06:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ive heard 150.

it doesnt take a smart man to figure out that these numbers are quite arbitrary.

that being said, im smarter than all u jerks!1

Rduke55
03-27-2006, 06:50 PM
I think the standard was set by Terman at 140.
(again - it's near meaningless for adults scoring above 120 or so)

Pauwl
03-27-2006, 07:37 PM
I was just humoring the obviously drunk OP by quoting my online IQ test score (from a 40 question test /images/graemlins/tongue.gif). I wasn't serious that I think my IQ is 157 or that I even place any importance on IQ tests. Sorry if I'm a "huge jackass" for responding to the OP, I was just fooling around, Geez.

Rduke55
03-27-2006, 07:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was just humoring the obviously drunk OP by quoting my online IQ test score (from a 40 question test /images/graemlins/tongue.gif). I wasn't serious that I think my IQ is 157 or that I even place any importance on IQ tests. Sorry if I'm a "huge jackass" for responding to the OP, I was just fooling around, Geez.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, I didn't mean you.

luckyme
03-27-2006, 07:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wasn't serious that I think my IQ is 157 or that I even place any importance on IQ tests.

[/ QUOTE ]

Garsh. Without IQ tests, how would we know what a persons IQ is? For all we know, Newton was a moron.

3 minute hero
03-27-2006, 07:49 PM
I have checked the abbreviations section of the site for 'IQ' and i cannot find it. I have checked FAQ's - no joy there either. Can anyone help me, or am i too stupid to be helped?

^^^^^^^ joke

MelchyBeau
03-27-2006, 07:53 PM
I believe there are several different IQ tests, so a 140 on one test may not be the same as a 140 on a different type of test.

Melch

Philo
03-27-2006, 08:08 PM
Ok, I'll play. GRE-2280 LSAT-180

Got into Yale law. Got into Ph.D. programs in philosophy--Stanford, MIT, Columbia, UCLA, Chicago, Michigan.

Ph.D. in philosophy.

Big whoop-dee-doo.

yukoncpa
03-27-2006, 08:14 PM
Hi Mostsmooth and RJT,

I took one of these internet IQ tests and did very well. I did answer the Pythagorus question correctly, but when it came to a series of colors and I was asked, which is the next color, I thought for sure there must be a pattern unrelated to the colors. There wasn’t. I called my friend in and asked her what colors were in each box. When she explained, only then was I able to see a pattern and answer the question correctly. What kind of dummy would design an IQ test that only non-color blind people can excel on?

Green Kool Aid
03-27-2006, 08:19 PM
you are the first person on my ignore list. congrats!

AceofSpades
03-27-2006, 08:25 PM
I can ride my bike without hands and feet. So my intelligence is clearly more balanced than your intellect :P

Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure those online IQ tests are pretty flawed, you'd really need to take a real one to get an accurate measure. That is assuming intelligence really can be measured, and not simply the lack of basic functioning.

keikiwai
03-27-2006, 08:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you are the first person on my ignore list. enjoy!

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp

purnell
03-27-2006, 08:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're not smarter than me but all is not lost, you are much more pretentious /images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

03-28-2006, 02:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I get the feeling from reading this section that I am smarter than most of you. Poor arguments, foolish ad hominem attacks, etc. I'd like to know if my assessment is correct. Am I smarter than most of you? This would surely be an arrogant assertion and likely taboo. But why? Many of you are atheists, therefore be not offended. If you are, then f*ck you. MY morality entails not being offended by such petit and utterly harmless arrogance. How can we measure intelligence? IQ, standardized tests, etc? All probably poor means, but we will start there. State your IQ, any standardized test scores (SAT, LSAT, ACT, GMAT), etc. I am definitely above average, but not great. But my hypothesis is that I am smarter than most of you, but definitely not all of you. Am I right?

[/ QUOTE ]

What next? I'm taller than you. My mom can beat your mom in a fight. My Dad's a cop???

Sounds like 8 year-old schoolyard dribble coming from the mouth of a snot-nosed 35 year-old with low self-esteem, gripping hopelessly to the only measurable form of superiority (questionable at that) that he can muster.

Based on your IQ score, you are probably in the top 5 percentile on such tests, but based on your post I'd say you are not smart. In fact, as an employer, I'd take a person with an IQ of 100 over you, as long as he/she had street smarts and people skills.

In fact, I think I'd tell you that you were "over-qualified," as this would appease your ego and help you save face.

PS. Bet you hate your job...

siegfriedandroy
03-28-2006, 02:50 AM
Actually, Im unemployed and drifting through law school. It's cool that you can infer so much about me through a joke of a drunken post that I made last night after half a bottle of gin.

I remember when applying to law school, there was a popular message board (University of Chicago), where some of the smartest people in the country (many of whom are now at HLS, YLS, and SLS), hung out, compared test scores, etc. In my mind, it is not really arrogance to compare some stupid test scores. I, like most who have responded, don't place must credence in such results. In fact, on my LSAT, for example, I probably guessed on a large minority of the questions I got correct, and could easily have scored ten points lower. Who gives a sh*t? To me, it's amusing and comical that people can get so offended and bent out of shape over a stupid post like this one. Come on, it's not like Im disputing the sacred religion of evolution and naturalism. In that case, I could understand and appreciate your justification in allowing your panties to roll up in a bunch.

siegfriedandroy
03-28-2006, 02:54 AM
That said, though, I do think Im smarter than most (perhaps not most on this board), at least in terms of the type of 'intelligence' that tests like these measure. But so what? My vocabulary is strong, I am well read, and am good at analyzing and evaluating arguments logically...big deal. This is one type of intelligence. In other areas (such as penis size, for example), I am clearly lacking. The bottom line, Im certain, is that my small penis size permits me to gloat a bit over my academic prowess to satisfy my fragile ego and psyche.

siegfriedandroy
03-28-2006, 03:03 AM
Also, I am a snotnosed 26 year old, nowhere near my mid thirties yet, thank you very much. Hopefully once I am beyond 35 I will never again play another hand of poker.

cambraceres
03-28-2006, 04:30 AM
There is a certain type of standardized test that is considered to be culturally unbiased. It is a succession of colors and shapes forming different patterns. There is a portion like this on almost all tests, but some are composed of it alone. This cultural bias in certainly in effect in every section of most standardized tests.

Cambraceres

yukoncpa
03-28-2006, 04:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It is a succession of colors and shapes forming different patterns. There is a portion like this on almost all tests,

[/ QUOTE ]

Cambraceres,
My friend, what you have just said makes no sense. Please read my response a few notches below. Then respond with your wonderful wisdom.
Thanks

cambraceres
03-28-2006, 05:12 AM
I try to be less verbose, and then become unclear, I told you that would happen, what I mean is, there is a metric on standardized intelligence tests that deals with pattern recognition. This section of most tests is actually split into two parts. One part is verbal, and it's score is weighted toward both linguistic and logic scores. The other is purely visual, it consists of patterns. These patterns can be of any shape or form, and are typically multi-colored. A succession of these is shown, and the patient is asked to pick odd entities, and like entities.

This section of the test is not in any way culturally biased, because even an Australian bushman can see the difference between a circle and square, or red and blue (assuming the absence of color-blindness or some other infirmaty). If an entire test is composed of these visual exercises, then a decent estimation of performance can be had without appeal to culture specific referents.

Cambraceres

MidGe
03-28-2006, 05:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This section of the test is not in any way culturally biased, because even an Australian bushman can see the difference between a circle and square, or red and blue

[/ QUOTE ]

He will however not have the primitive emotional charge of the same relative value for each colour or shape than you have. So, his perception of patterns will be different.

cambraceres
03-28-2006, 05:39 AM
The merit of this test is in the nature of human cognition. Humans are always good at recognizing patterns, and the existents the,selves are the same for our theoretical bushman. He sees such patterns the same, although because he sees natural objects so often, the test may seem very odd, and take adjustment for the bushman to grasp his task.

This does not change the fact that the bushman is in the best spot when administered one of these tests rather than one with language, and Pythagoras' theorem as elements.

Cambraceres

yukoncpa
03-28-2006, 05:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This section of the test is not in any way culturally biased, because even an Australian bushman can see the difference between a circle and square, or red and blue (assuming the absence of color-blindness or some other infirmaty).

[/ QUOTE ]

As it turns out, Australian bushmen may be smarter than all the rest of us. See: Guns, Germs, and Steel, by Jared Diamond.

cambraceres
03-28-2006, 05:52 AM
I did not mean to presume less than average intelligence on the part of our bushman friend. This example was meant to represent any feral individual. Or at least uncivilized, not neccessarily feral.

Cambraceres

MidGe
03-28-2006, 06:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This does not change the fact that the bushman is in the best spot when administered one of these tests rather than one with language, and Pythagoras' theorem as elements.

[/ QUOTE ]

But still disadvantaged. If he was setting the test (totest you ability to survive which is probably the most accurate measure of intelligence), he would probably ask you obvious things about tracking etc.. Finding patterns in abstract colour and shapes will not help you much. Under his standardised test you may be classified as a moron. /images/graemlins/smile.gif I do not say you impute any lack of intelligence, I say you are wrong in thinking you can design a culturally independent test. Some may be more so than others, but whatever they measure is usually different from what they purport to measure. The only thing they really measure is the ability to do well on those specific tests. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

cambraceres
03-28-2006, 06:11 AM
I agree that all you can measure is test taking ability, this is self evident. And I also agree that one test can only be made more fair, that was the point of my last post, to say that the bushman is in an altogether better spot when taking a culturally unbiased test even though he is still disadvantaged. I know it is not totally unbiased but what else do you call it?

Cambraceres

MidGe
03-28-2006, 06:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I know it is not totally unbiased but what else do you call it?

[/ QUOTE ]

"biased"??? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

cambraceres
03-28-2006, 06:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know it is not totally unbiased but what else do you call it?

[/ QUOTE ]

"biased"??? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes but in such an innocuous way, does it not deserve it's own name, I mean it is worlds away from it's alternative in respect to potential to measure the feral.

Cambraceres

MidGe
03-28-2006, 07:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
in respect to potential to measure the feral.

[/ QUOTE ]

What can I say??? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

By the way,as an idiom, where I live, ferals are often meant to be WASP that live outside of, or try to, the system, usually in forests and perform a lot of fire related circus acts when they come to town and act as as street performers to earn some money. I quite like them. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

cambraceres
03-28-2006, 07:40 AM
I want some ferals in my town!!

yukoncpa
03-28-2006, 07:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What can I say???

By the way,as an idiom, where I live, ferals are often meant to be WASP that live outside of, or try to, the system, usually in forests and perform a lot of fire related circus acts when the come to town and act as as street performers to earn some money. I quite like them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Midge , I love you man, but I have a hard time understanding you sometimes. To me, a “feral” means an untamed creature and a “Wasp” is a white Anglo Saxon protestant. Dude, I’m drunk and I’m trying to follow your usually eloquent discourse, can you please elaborate for me?
Thanks

MidGe
03-28-2006, 08:23 AM
Hiya yuconcpa,

LOL.. thanks for your kind comments dude. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Where I live there is an idiom, a slang way of saying things. It refers to some kids, young adults, that have made a life style choice. The ferals here are what hippies used to be a few decades ago. Usually young kids very idealistic, just out of school and decided to give up on society as they find it. They tend to live in makeshifts camps in the forests, national parks etc.., in "tribes", come from all sorts of background but usually, since this is what there are more of here, WASP's. They are very good with fire juggling. Maybe that's a hip thing to them. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

As I said it is a local idiom. Hope you understand what I am describing. OTOH, maybe where your live, the climate may not facilitate such life choices. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

yukoncpa
03-28-2006, 08:30 AM
I love it. Thanks for the explanation. If I ever make it up to Australia, I hope you'll have a drink with me in a pub.
thanks again.

MidGe
03-28-2006, 08:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If I ever make it up to Australia, I hope you'll have a drink with me in a pub.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are this way, count me in! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rduke55
03-28-2006, 11:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Actually, Im unemployed and drifting through law school. It's cool that you can infer so much about me through a joke of a drunken post that I made last night after half a bottle of gin.

I remember when applying to law school, there was a popular message board (University of Chicago), where some of the smartest people in the country (many of whom are now at HLS, YLS, and SLS), hung out, compared test scores, etc. In my mind, it is not really arrogance to compare some stupid test scores. I, like most who have responded, don't place must credence in such results. In fact, on my LSAT, for example, I probably guessed on a large minority of the questions I got correct, and could easily have scored ten points lower. Who gives a sh*t? To me, it's amusing and comical that people can get so offended and bent out of shape over a stupid post like this one. Come on, it's not like Im disputing the sacred religion of evolution and naturalism. In that case, I could understand and appreciate your justification in allowing your panties to roll up in a bunch.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you act like a jackass and make a pretentious brag post, everyone calls you on it, and we're the jerks?

r3vbr
03-28-2006, 01:16 PM

MoreWineII
03-28-2006, 01:35 PM
I'm not very smart. I am however, pretty happy and content with myself and my life. So maybe I'm pretty smart after all.

bobman0330
03-28-2006, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That said, though, I do think Im smarter than most (perhaps not most on this board), at least in terms of the type of 'intelligence' that tests like these measure. But so what? My vocabulary is strong, I am well read, and am good at analyzing and evaluating arguments logically...big deal. This is one type of intelligence. In other areas (such as penis size, for example), I am clearly lacking. The bottom line, Im certain, is that my small penis size permits me to gloat a bit over my academic prowess to satisfy my fragile ego and psyche.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, so you only got a 1490 on your SATs AND you have a small penis? Guys, leave the poor bastard alone, he has enough problems.

LearnedfromTV
03-28-2006, 04:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

P.S. The way to tackle illogical arguments is with logical counterarguments in the threads in which they occur, not by announcing that they exist in a thread about how small your penis is.

mostsmooth
03-28-2006, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not very smart. I am however, pretty happy and content with myself and my life. So maybe I'm pretty smart after all.

[/ QUOTE ]
or pretty dumb. couldnt it really go either way?/images/graemlins/grin.gif

guesswest
03-28-2006, 05:34 PM
A few things on IQ testing:

1. An IQ test is relatively useful for certain very specific purposes, but it's a horrible overall indicator of mental ability. It's a predictive test and you're using it as a result in itself - which it is not.
2. All IQ tests standardize their mean to 100, but everything outside of that mean varies from test to test. So (for instance) a 140 on a WAIS IQ test is the same result as a 165 on Cattell B etc. And they actually vary a lot. So if someone says 'I have an IQ of x' it means absolutely nothing unless they tell you what test they took, and most people don't know. And the vast majority of people don't take a valid test anyway.

And it's unlikely that you're going to 'offend' anyone by boldly stating you're smarter than everyone else, they're more likely just to think you're pompous. Which gets to the root of what all these test scores are and why these tests are designed. In an ideal world they wouldn't exist, but schools, employers and the like have limited resources and they have to try and make informed bets over whose likely to be able to do well.

But we're not an admissions board we're a discussion forum, this is after the fact. Academia, logic, philosophy, math etc - it's a meritocracy. Your worth is just the content of your contribution, and a high IQ score is meaningless - in fact if a high IQ is present without that achievement, it just moves towards discrediting the value of the test. So instead of expressing how intelligent you are in terms of a predictive test, how about you let us decide that by the actuality - the content of your positions.

LearnedfromTV
03-28-2006, 06:00 PM
Excellent post.

Rduke55
03-28-2006, 06:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Excellent post.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought so as well.

Copernicus
03-28-2006, 10:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A So instead of expressing how intelligent you are in terms of a predictive test, how about you let us decide that by the actuality - the content of your positions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps his intelligence is so awesome that we dont have the capability of assessing it from his posts. Much as sharkey's universe is so complex that we as mere mortals cannot fathom its depth, only god can comprehend it.

siegfriedandroy
03-28-2006, 10:25 PM
no, only some of you. most people werent offended by it.

siegfriedandroy
03-28-2006, 10:27 PM
sh*t, my IQ is not even very high! Relax...

siegfriedandroy
03-28-2006, 10:28 PM
Ahahah! Copernicus, you are on to something here...

Copernicus
03-28-2006, 10:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ahahah! Copernicus, you are on to something here...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, sense of humor is severely lacking here at times.

&lt;genuflecting before the awesome power and wisdom of another SandR post&gt;

3rdEye
03-28-2006, 10:52 PM
ACT: 32
LSAT: 171
IQ: 155-ish?

SkinnyPuppy
03-28-2006, 11:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wut abowt IQ 78?
tat mesna wunt ring me fone back 2
plus they took my stapler! ill burn their building down

siegfriedandroy
03-29-2006, 12:06 AM
dam you!!

siegfriedandroy
03-29-2006, 12:07 AM
/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Utah
03-29-2006, 12:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
And I know enough about things to know that an IQ test is a paltry measure of anyone's abilities (even if it were correct).

[/ QUOTE ]Yep

Also, I think if a person gets caught up in a "I have a higher IQ than you" pissing match then that person is very likely to be lacking in capabilities.

Finally, IQ does a terrible job of measuring creativity - which is tied more to low latency than to IQ.

siegfriedandroy
03-29-2006, 01:15 AM
ur probably right. i am lacking substantially in capabilities, whatever that means.

sweetjazz
03-29-2006, 01:34 AM
LSAT: 0
Penis: 12 inches

I'm smarter than you.

buriedbeds
03-29-2006, 12:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
this makes no sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I might have been smart once, but looking at your avatar I can no longer think.

-bb.

morphball
03-29-2006, 12:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I get the feeling from reading this section that I am smarter than most of you. Poor arguments, foolish ad hominem attacks, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Written by a person w/ no friends.

Also, aren't Siegfried and Roy gay tigro-philes? BTW, mee smart 2...

fslexcduck
03-29-2006, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

sure you're probably smarter than most people in the world, but i would try a different message board if you want these scores to impress anyone. try myspace.

TomBrooks
03-29-2006, 09:12 PM
You are pretty smart. You could probably make it into MENSA.

Your scores indicate you are a little smarter than me.

JimNashe
03-30-2006, 07:34 AM
You can't compare IQ scores without saying what test the score came from, or at least how the results are distributed over the population.

From mensa.org: 'The term "IQ score" is widely used but poorly defined. There are a large number of tests with different scales. The result on one test of 132 can be the same as a score 148 on another test. Some intelligence tests don't use IQ scores at all. Mensa has set a percentile as cutoff to avoid this confusion. Candidates for membership in Mensa must achieve a score at or above the 98th percentile (a score that is greater than or equal to 98 percent of the general population taking the test) on a standard test of intelligence.'

guesswest
03-30-2006, 07:45 AM
If anyones interested and/or happens to know what test they've taken, the 2% cutoff for Mensa is achieved as follows:

Cattell III B - 148
Culture Fair - 132
Ravens Advanced Matrices - 135
Ravens Standard Matrices - 131
Wechsler Scales - 132

Mik1w
03-30-2006, 03:25 PM
intelligence is overrated.

atrifix
03-30-2006, 08:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
CV? What's a cv? Speak English, man. Just kidding, kiddo. I get the idea. We just don't use that abbreviation over here.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am not sure if this is a joke, but it's not true. Pretty much anyone understands what you mean when you say "CV" or "vita".

Also, you can complete an undergraduate degree in philosophy at nearly any university in the US without reading anything by Nietzsche.

ImWeakTight@UCLA
03-30-2006, 08:30 PM
Thats pretty funny considering those numbers can and do mean nothing often enough to make my point relevant

cliff
03-30-2006, 11:05 PM
Maybe someone has addressed this already, but I believe geometry (and probably algebra of some level) is a required course for even the most basic high school diploma (in the US, at least). I can not imagine that any geometry course would not cover the Pythagorian theorem. Given that educational bias is a longstanding argument against all of the major IQ tests, I can't imagine that this is any worse than the basic vocabulary requirements most tests have.

Black Aces 518
03-31-2006, 12:18 AM
176 LSAT, with zero prep classes

35 ACT on 36 point scale

siegfriedandroy
03-31-2006, 12:29 AM
i didnt take prep classes, either. but i studied for like a month /images/graemlins/smile.gif dam, aces, your a genius!

PokerPadawan
03-31-2006, 04:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
IQ test results: 156, 157 and 159.

SAT - only 1250

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a lot of truth in this.

Black Aces 518
03-31-2006, 12:52 PM
I also demolished the bar exam, despite playing 25 rounds of golf between graduation and taking the exam. Made 820 or so when 675 was needed to pass.

Luckily, no one cares about any of those numbers, and the one they do care about, my GPA, was mediocre. Ha. But at least I have a job where I can post on 2 + 2!

Rduke55
03-31-2006, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
176 LSAT, with zero prep classes

35 ACT on 36 point scale

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are people still posting their scores?

Utah
03-31-2006, 10:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Why do you keep adding nothing to discussions?

siegfriedandroy
03-31-2006, 11:10 PM
nice! what kind of work are you doing? my grades, too, are not so hot! coulnt have anything to do with the fact that ive been to less than 5% of my classes this semester, no!? to my credit, though, i have spent about ten hours studying in the last few months...

Rduke55
04-01-2006, 01:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Why do you keep adding nothing to discussions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yay! An archnemesis!

cambraceres
04-01-2006, 04:29 AM
What! crap I missed an archnemesis genesis?

Black Aces 518
04-01-2006, 07:09 PM
I'm the Program Attorney for a judicial education agency. Love the job, 40 hour weeks (well, the weeks we have seminars are 60 hour weeks, but I get comp time, and actually get to use it), and I want to become a judge at some point and it should help.

Of course, if all goes well this August, I'm retiring. /images/graemlins/smile.gif