PDA

View Full Version : Moral Issues

nation
03-26-2006, 07:18 PM
If a friend is cheating in online poker through collusion, or in other forms, is it right to turn in him to the poker rooms? Or is just warning him of the consequences and moral problems better for a friend to do?

Discuss.

madnak
03-26-2006, 09:39 PM
For a close friend, I'll help hide the body. Trust is important to me.

Copernicus
03-26-2006, 09:55 PM
Having grown up with Ethical Culture training (are they still around?) and attending a college with an honor system it would be second nature to report him. Someone with knowledge of cheating that doesnt report it is as guilty as the cheater.

He has already violated any trust by cheating.

nation
03-26-2006, 10:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For a close friend, I'll help hide the body. Trust is important to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's how I feel, aside from helping hide the body. That's on their hands and conscience, but I am trustworthy to a fault I guess.

madnak
03-26-2006, 10:18 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't really help hide the body. Just rhetorical. I wouldn't turn them in, though.

keikiwai
03-26-2006, 10:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Someone with knowledge of cheating that doesnt report it is as guilty as the cheater.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't you get the note that this is BS brainwashing?

But seriously, I would let your friend know that what he is doing is very wrong. I would go from there based upon his reactions.

If he is a true friend, it would take a lot for me to turn him in. And I hope that a true friend of mine would listen to me, but friendships form during a time of incomplete information, and true friendship often lasts even after the scales have fallen from your eyes.

AceofSpades
03-26-2006, 10:35 PM
I think it is ok morally to turn him in, but only if you warn him first, and tell him that you will inform unless he stops and he doesn't stop.

I understand helping hide the body, but would only do it if he isn't going to keep killing more people and regrets what he did or I felt it was morally justified.

I don't think it is moral to turn somebody in after they quit that behavior

nation
03-26-2006, 10:48 PM
I feel like my job as a friend is warn them of the moral issues and also the consequences of their actions. Where they go from there is their decision; I would not turn in a friend, however. For that matter, I wouldn't cooperate with an investigation either.

purnell
03-26-2006, 10:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If a friend is cheating in online poker

[/ QUOTE ]

He's nobody's friend. Turn him in, or maybe beat the [censored] out of him first, and then turn him in.

HLMencken
03-26-2006, 11:15 PM
Reevaluate if you really want to be friends with this chump.

nation
03-27-2006, 07:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Negative, I think you guys are missing the point about trust and friendship. I find it hard to believe that someone would be a rat on a good friend.

MidGe
03-27-2006, 07:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Negative, I think you guys are missing the point about trust and friendship. I find it hard to believe that someone would be a rat on a good friend.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your notion of trust and friendship is dangerous, I think!!! I would expect that none of my friends would ever do something that would require ratting on.

3 minute hero
03-27-2006, 08:23 AM
I have to presume your friend is an adult, if you have do advise him of moral responsibilities when he is in adulthood i think it is too late. If you do confront him and tell him that you will report him, what will you do if he offers you a bribe?
I take the moral high ground because of my occupation, but i am well aware that theft, bribery and corruption is a way of life for many people and those people enjoy life until they get caught. Upon conviction and sentencing, IMO nothing ever changes, obviously with the exception that these people learn how not to get caught whilst in jail.
I am a cyncic and that has served me well!

MidGe
03-27-2006, 08:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have to presume your friend is an adult ... etc

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope this is a mistake. I seem to come from the opposite camp.

Someone cheats, steal, murder.. dob him in, no two thoughts about it, don't even give a warning... I know how I want to live my life and how my friends do... well at least I hope so.

[ QUOTE ]
I am a cyncic and that has served me well!

[/ QUOTE ]

Good on you! I know which type of society I want to live in, given a choice.

Jshuttlesworth
03-27-2006, 09:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That might tell you a lot about yourself.

HedonismBot
03-27-2006, 10:01 AM
I can't believe the responses here, how could you turn in a good friend? Would you turn in your brother? Would you turn in your wife? I would certainly tell them that what they're doing is wrong etc. and threaten to turn them in if I found out they were still doing it but just handing them over is such a fuckwad thing to do.

traz
03-27-2006, 10:04 AM
I can't see myself turning in a good friend. If it I started to really morally disagree with his actions, I would distance myself from him, but I wouldn't ever turn a good friend in.

purnell
03-27-2006, 10:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't see myself turning in a good friend. If it I started to really morally disagree with his actions, I would distance myself from him, but I wouldn't ever turn a good friend in.

[/ QUOTE ]

His character is such that he is incapable of friendship. He is nobody's friend.