PDA

View Full Version : Human Cloning

evolvedForm
03-26-2006, 06:25 PM
If it becomes possible, would it be ethical or unethical? Why?

I haven't thought about this much since I stopped being a believer, so I'm not sure exactly what to think anymore. I used to just think of it as playing god, making it a very bad thing. Now I'm not so sure.

I believe the principle benefit of cloning is that it gives a child to infertile couples, right? Other than being somewhat unnecessary, I don't see anything terribly wrong. It would be hardly different than an identical twin.

I guess my main objection would be the practical consequences of cloning yourself, presumably to have a son or daughter like yourself. This would create terrible identity problems for the child, who would surely detest his likeness to his father.

madnak
03-26-2006, 06:30 PM
I want an army of clones. Who doesn't?

bunny
03-26-2006, 06:36 PM
I dont think it is inherently unethical. I think it may lead to things which may be unethical (like growing humans to cannibalise for parts or something). Problems may arise if the research outpaces discussions of what is ethically ok. I expect we would get embroiled in knee-jerk opposition and economically driven advocacy.

New001
03-26-2006, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I want an army of clones. Who doesn't?

[/ QUOTE ]
I want at least two. They could do battle with each other. More seriously, I don't have a problem with human cloning just yet. I suppose events could occur that would make me change my mind, but I doubt I'd be in favor of many, or any, extra regulations.