PDA

View Full Version : Location of Heaven and Hell

Pulp
03-25-2006, 04:14 PM
Heaven and Hell, as you all know, are the two possible outcomes of life after death in the christian religion.

The question I've been thinking about for a while is: Where are they? It is silly to still believe that, with our advances in science and technology, that Heaven is located in the clouds, and Hell is deep inside the earth. However, if they aren't located on earth, does that mean that they can't be located anywhere in the universe? Also, if they are located outside the universe, how can they exist in a place where there is no time or space? Is there any possibility to reach heaven without dieing first? Or, are heaven and hell spiritual realities that exist in an alternate dimension?

If heaven and hell aren't in this universe, aren't located in another dimension and can never be reached without dieing, then where can they be? Are they just ideas that dont exist in reality? An explanation would be appreciated.

ps- this isnt a challenge, just a tpoic of disscussion

madnak
03-25-2006, 04:26 PM
You can get there from Sigil, you just have to know which door.

jman220
03-25-2006, 08:31 PM
Heaven is up in the sky where there are clouds. People walk on the clouds. Hell is under the ground where there is lava (magma). It is very hot, which is why the devil is so grumpy.

Your welcome.

--jman220

Bremen
03-26-2006, 02:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You can get there from Sigil, you just have to know which door.

[/ QUOTE ]
I once tried to explain the difference between a demon and a devil to a religious friend of mine. BIG MISTAKE.

Back on topic: Our understanding of alternate universe/ realities is probably too limited to actually specify where they are located.

bunny
03-26-2006, 02:51 AM
I conceive of life-after-death as a purely non-physical existence. So I think they "exist" in a mental realm (I wouldnt call it a dimension as dimension seems like a physical term to me). As another (hopefully illustrative) example - I think the number pi exists - but it has no spatio-temporal location, it is a non-physical object.

Piers
03-26-2006, 03:02 AM
Your right, if we could only work out where they are, we counld send a probe there, take some photos and work out whats happening once and for all.

Jshuttlesworth
03-26-2006, 03:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I conceive of life-after-death as a purely non-physical existence. So I think they "exist" in a mental realm (I wouldnt call it a dimension as dimension seems like a physical term to me). As another (hopefully illustrative) example - I think the number pi exists - but it has no spatio-temporal location, it is a non-physical object.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pi exists between 3 and 4. Between what two places does heaven (or hell) exist?

bunny
03-26-2006, 05:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I dont think they exist on a continuum (the way pi does). I certainly wasnt claiming they are numbers, nor mathematical entities. I was making the point that plenty of things exist that seem non-physical, I include any real or imagined afterlife as one of these things.

remission
03-26-2006, 05:55 AM
I always assumed, like God, Heaven and Hell exist outside of space and time. So they would be somewhere outside of our universe.

Double Down
03-26-2006, 08:27 AM
Heaven is located on the beaches of the Cancun.
Hell is located in my parents' house during family reunions.

HedonismBot
03-26-2006, 08:47 AM
Hell was invented by humans to scare people into behaving sooooooooo I'm guessing, no where?

chezlaw
03-26-2006, 08:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hell was invented by man to scare people into bahving sooooooooo I'm guessing, no where?

[/ QUOTE ]
and nowhere frightens people so much that they invented heaven.

chez

keikiwai
03-26-2006, 08:38 PM
Learn to use the internet:

Here is your answer after 2 minutes of Googling. There is 1 hell and 3 heavens, and they all appear to be in the US. 2 heavens are on the west coast (represent!), and 1 heaven and hell is on the east coast.

I even got you phone numbers for all 4!

http://images6.theimagehosting.com/hell.380.jpg

http://images6.theimagehosting.com/heaven.995.jpg

brandofo
03-26-2006, 08:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think they are more like the endpoints than the space between.

Jshuttlesworth
03-27-2006, 01:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think they are more like the endpoints than the space between.

[/ QUOTE ]

So where are they?

brandofo
03-27-2006, 03:58 AM
Hell if I know.

Jshuttlesworth
03-27-2006, 04:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hell if I know.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

btw keik that was v funny

Gary Stevenson
03-27-2006, 04:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hell if I know.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

btw keik that was v funny

[/ QUOTE ]

PancakeBoy
03-27-2006, 08:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

and 3 and 4 exist where. outside of pi?

Jshuttlesworth
03-27-2006, 08:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

and 3 and 4 exist where. outside of pi?

[/ QUOTE ]

My main problem is people saying heaven and hell are in a "mental realm" when (to the best of my knowledge), most major religous texts describe them as physical places.

Copernicus
03-27-2006, 11:49 AM
And my hell is the closet I’m stuck inside
Can’t see the light
And my heaven is a nice house in the sky
Got central heating and I’m alright

RJT
03-27-2006, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Heaven is located on the beaches of the Cancun.
Hell is located in my parents' house during family reunions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I take it you are not married. You didn't say or at least include the in-laws. (Just kidding, my are great.)

bunny
03-27-2006, 03:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My main problem is people saying heaven and hell are in a "mental realm" when (to the best of my knowledge), most major religous texts describe them as physical places.

[/ QUOTE ]
I dont know about the standard theological views but, to clarify my position, I do not believe the Bible is literally true.

MatthewRyan
03-27-2006, 06:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It exist between 'here' and 'there' as much as Pi exist between 3 and 4. Very poor analogy...

billygrippo
03-27-2006, 06:45 PM
heaven: hawaii

hell: the slums of cambodia

keikiwai
03-27-2006, 06:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I really disagree with your location of heaven. 1) Hawaii includes Honolulu. 2) I've never seen more littering inside of the US, esp. from cars 3) There are way too many barking, mean, dangerous dogs for heaven 4) I think the site of extinction of so many endemic species cannot be heaven 5) I could keep going

Don't get me wrong the ocean around Hawaii is great...

billygrippo
03-27-2006, 08:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I really disagree with your location of heaven. 1) Hawaii includes Honolulu. 2) I've never seen more littering inside of the US, esp. from cars 3) There are way too many barking, mean, dangerous dogs for heaven 4) I think the site of extinction of so many endemic species cannot be heaven 5) I could keep going

[/ QUOTE ]

ok.

eidt heaven to: anywhere w/ 7 hot neked girls and some good food.

keikiwai
03-27-2006, 08:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ok.

eidt heaven to: anywhere w/ 7 hot neked girls and some good food.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sound good!

03-28-2006, 03:02 AM
Heaven: Pebble Beach
Hell: .05/.10 LHE for 18 hours a day (12 hands an hour, tops) at the Sunset and SoonbeGone Retirement Home, Anywhere, FLA