PDA

View Full Version : Ask AC about Quantum theory.

A_C_Slater
03-24-2006, 07:43 PM
I will be fielding questions about pure theory only. My qualifications need not be verified. You have my word that I know everything that there is to know regarding this specific scientific branch.

PoBoy321
03-24-2006, 07:44 PM
How likely is it that every atom in my body will spontaneously turn to pure energy and destroy the world?

Patrick del Poker Grande
Tell us about unified theory.

fyodor
Who is the new Brian Greene?

CardSharpCook
03-24-2006, 07:48 PM
Does this have to do with Dr. Sam Beckett?

A_C_Slater
03-24-2006, 07:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How likely is it that every atom in my body will spontaneously turn to pure energy and destroy the world?

[/ QUOTE ]

800 centillion to 1.

A_C_Slater
03-24-2006, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tell us about unified theory.

[/ QUOTE ]

The largest is in the smallest.

Rduke55
03-24-2006, 07:52 PM
Now this belongs in SMP.

HarryCH
Whats quantum theory and how would it make my life easier?

fyodor
Murray Gell-Mann in his book The Quark and the Jaguar uses a limerick to illustrate relativity. It goes something like this:

There once was a woman named Wright
Who could travel much faster than light
She set out one day
In a relative way
And returned the previous night

Is this possible?

A_C_Slater
03-24-2006, 07:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Who is the new Brian Greene?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am. /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

A_C_Slater
03-24-2006, 07:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Murray Gell-Mann in his book The Quark and the Jaguar uses a limerick to illustrate relativity. It goes something like this:

She set out one day
In a relative way

Is this possible?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes

Utah
03-24-2006, 07:56 PM
What is the nature of gravity? If it caused by a particle, a graviton, how will we ever prove it since theoretically it is next to impossible to capture a graviton given a graviton's almost complete lack of interaction with matter?

A_C_Slater
03-24-2006, 07:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Whats quantum theory and how would it make my life easier?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is nothing easy about Quantum theory. And yet it is the easiest thing in the universe. Only by becoming nothing can we ever hope to return to the source of everything.

bjb23
03-24-2006, 08:00 PM
explain to me why it is that a particle in a 1 dimensional box may have a zero probabilty of being located at a specific distance at the center and equal nonzero probabilities at either side of this point.

if quantum particles dont follow paths then how do they get from point a to point b?

toss
03-24-2006, 08:04 PM
What will the universe be like in the distant future? I'm talking 10^trillion^trillion here.

A_C_Slater
03-24-2006, 08:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What will the universe be like in the distant future? I'm talking 10^trillion^trillion here.

[/ QUOTE ]

We perceive, that is a fact. But what we perceive is not a fact of the same kind.

A_C_Slater
03-24-2006, 08:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
explain to me why it is that a particle in a 1 dimensional box may have a zero probabilty of being located at a specific distance at the center and equal nonzero probabilities at either side of this point.

if quantum particles dont follow paths then how do they get from point a to point b?

[/ QUOTE ]

All paths are the same, they lead nowhere.

straightflush
03-24-2006, 08:09 PM
Does everyone that knows about quantum theory talk like Shakespeare?

mrTEA
03-24-2006, 08:10 PM
What are the spooky things DS is referring to when he said there might be a God.

A_C_Slater
03-24-2006, 08:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What is the nature of gravity? If it caused by a particle, a graviton, how will we ever prove it since theoretically it is next to impossible to capture a graviton given a graviton's almost complete lack of interaction with matter?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a world of happiness where there is no difference between things because there is no one there to ask about the difference. But that is not the world of men.

toss
03-24-2006, 08:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We perceive, that is a fact. But what we perceive is not a fact of the same kind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Getoff the drugs MAAAAAN!!!

El Diablo
03-24-2006, 08:13 PM
AC, mods:

SCIENCE FORUM.

A_C_Slater
03-24-2006, 08:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does everyone that knows about quantum theory talk like Shakespeare?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am the only one who really knows about quantum mechanics in its totality, so yes.

Utah
03-24-2006, 08:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There is a world of happiness where there is no difference between things because there is no one there to ask about the difference. But that is not the world of men.

[/ QUOTE ] Ah, we are being silly. My mistake for thinking it was a serious thread.

A_C_Slater
03-24-2006, 08:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What are the spooky things DS is referring to when he said there might be a God.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no biblical version of God. The universe runs itself, like the internet. I suspect DS was alluding to the catalyst that caused the creation of the universe.

goofball
03-24-2006, 08:19 PM
Was Feynman wrong when he said "nobody understands quantum mechanics"

What are your thoughts on this (http://www.newscientistspace.com/article/dn8836-black-holes-the-ultimate-quantum-computers.html)? Spefically the information paradox? Are you confident in a physical theory that leads to so many apparently paradoxes?

bjb23
03-24-2006, 08:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
AC, mods:

SCIENCE FORUM.

[/ QUOTE ]

trust me, there is very little science in this thread.

A_C_Slater
03-24-2006, 08:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Ah, we are being silly. My mistake for thinking it was a serious thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am quite serious. The universe is incomprehensible. We won't ever understand it; we won't ever unravel its secrets. Thus we must treat the universe as it is: a sheer mystery.

Now tell me, does that seem silly to you?

A_C_Slater
03-24-2006, 08:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
AC, mods:

SCIENCE FORUM.

[/ QUOTE ]

trust me, there is very little science in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's right. We are not discussing "science." We are discussing Quantum theory in its totality. Science merely lets us know that something is going on, but it will never let us discover why, only the initiated can answer that.

Go Blue
03-24-2006, 08:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

She set out one day
In a relative way

Is this possible?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, how is this possible? From my knowledge, nothing that has mass can achieve the speed of light as this would require infinite energy and the object would have infinite weight. This isn't even talking about going FASTER than the speed of light.

A_C_Slater
03-24-2006, 08:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Was Feynman wrong when he said "nobody understands quantum mechanics"

What are your thoughts on this (http://www.newscientistspace.com/article/dn8836-black-holes-the-ultimate-quantum-computers.html)? Spefically the information paradox? Are you confident in a physical theory that leads to so many apparently paradoxes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes he was wrong, because I understand it all. But you can't really blame him since he died when I was only 8 years old.

toss
03-24-2006, 08:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

She set out one day
In a relative way

Is this possible?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, how is this possible? From my knowledge, nothing that has mass can achieve the speed of light as this would require infinite energy and the object would have infinite weight. This isn't even talking about going FASTER than the speed of light.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't waste your time. OP is HIGH

Utah
03-24-2006, 08:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am quite serious. The universe is incomprehensible. We won't ever understand it; we won't ever unravel its secrets. Thus we must treat the universe as it is: a sheer mystery.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes - it even seems sillier after your explanation.

A_C_Slater
03-24-2006, 08:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

She set out one day
In a relative way

Is this possible?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Her awareness does not have mass. Hence it can travel faster than light. "In a relative way" is the key phrase you have to meditate upon.

A_C_Slater
03-24-2006, 08:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes - it even seems sillier after your explanation.

[/ QUOTE ]

But will you admit that just because something is silly does not mean that it is false?

A_C_Slater
03-24-2006, 08:42 PM
Will a mod please move this thread back to OOT? This thread has nothing to do with Science, Math, or Philosophy and everthing to do with other other things.

HotPants
03-24-2006, 08:44 PM
What is the force acting on a magnetic moment, in terms of the spin of the particle and the magnetic field?

(In other words, I'm calling BS you know anything about Quantum Theory)

A_C_Slater
03-24-2006, 08:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What is the force acting on a magnetic moment, in terms of the spin of the particle and the magnetic field?

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone can look that answer up on Wikipedia. I am fielding questions regarding pure theory . I am here to help you primates understand things that as of yet remain unknown unto you.

gumpzilla
03-24-2006, 08:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're trying to demonstrate your intelligence here with this comment, I think you failed.

HotPants
03-24-2006, 08:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're trying to demonstrate your intelligence here with this comment, I think you failed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think I'd be? and if so, why do you think I failed?

HotPants
03-24-2006, 09:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone can look that answer up on Wikipedia. I am fielding questions regarding pure theory . I am here to help you primates understand things that as of yet remain unknown unto you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just checking

A_C_Slater
03-24-2006, 10:06 PM
Well I hope some of you were able to take away something from this little Q&A session. If anyone has anymore questions feel free to PM me or respond in this thread. My knowledge in this area is truly inexhaustible.

Borodog
03-25-2006, 01:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Zero. There's not enough energy in you body to destroy the world. The mass needed, if completely converted into energy, to gravitationally unbind the Earth is GM^2/(2Rc^2), or about 2 x 10^15 kg. This is the mass of 2x10^12 cubic meters of water. This would be a cube of water 1.26x10^4 m on a side, or a cube of water about 12.6 kilometers on a side.

Of course, you could "destroy" the world without gravitationally unbinding it totally, but your mass, say of order 100kg, if completely converted to energy would only liberate 10^19 Joules, or the equivalent of about 2.5 megatons of TNT. You could destroy a city, but not the world.

The probability of that happening? Approximately zero.