PDA

View Full Version : Question to Sourbeaver and other 8+ tabling 10max players

Zarathustra888
11-29-2005, 02:06 PM
I'm about to start 8 tabling some full ring games, and as I understand it the variance per table is lower than 6max, but I'll play 2x the tables than most 6max players. Is 30 buyins a decent amount to play with?

Currently my vp$ip and pfr % are around 20/5. I'm happy with the 20, as I'll have alot of decisions to make and so folding marginally profitable, but tricky hands isn't a problem

But the 5% pfr, is this too low? I think it is, but I'm not sure how to bump it up to get action with my big pairs.

Blind stealing I can't do often with the regular 3/4 limpers there are when I'm on the co or button.

Though there are some hands in postition that I'm not sure how to approach.

1. Hero is CO with A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif and there are 3 limpers to him. Raise or call?
2. Same with QJ /images/graemlins/club.gif. raise or call?
3. K /images/graemlins/spade.gifQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif?

That tight arse Harrington recommends only raising monsters after limpers: TT+ AK, AQs as far as I can remember. But that's in a tournament setting with half decent players who limp half decent hands. Not my enemies, K4s and J9os will be limped from ep.

beset
11-29-2005, 06:57 PM
I used to 8-table full ring and my vpip was 14 if that helps. I still raised a lot with position though.

Mercman572
11-29-2005, 08:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is 30 buyins a decent amount to play with?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's actually quite large, but I play with that much and sometimes more since poker is my only source of income right now

[ QUOTE ]
Currently my vp$ip and pfr % are around 20/5. I'm happy with the 20, as I'll have alot of decisions to make and so folding marginally profitable, but tricky hands isn't a problem

[/ QUOTE ]

Always depends on table conditions. You're not doing anything unreasonable with that or missing very profitable situations with those numbers however (higher levels it wouldn't hurt to tighten up)

[ QUOTE ]
Blind stealing I can't do often with the regular 3/4 limpers there are when I'm on the co or button.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nor will you need to hwen your games are this juicy. Raise your solid hands in LP and value bet.

[ QUOTE ]

1. Hero is CO with A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif and there are 3 limpers to him. Raise or call?
2. Same with QJ /images/graemlins/club.gif. raise or call?
3. K /images/graemlins/spade.gifQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif?

[/ QUOTE ]
1,2,3, it depends. 2 I will almost never raise. 1, I will raise if they players have a high enough PFR that I am confident they aren't limping better aces, but will call a raise with a weaker ace.

DJ Sensei
11-29-2005, 09:00 PM
I run about 20.6/8.2, and am very pleased with how it has worked for me. If you want to open up your raising range, I'd recommend raising some lower pairs or suited connectors in LP. These can be very profitable hands if you hit a big flop against an aggressive player who you have position on.

As far as dealing with multiple limpers, think about it this way:
-If your hand stands to do well in a multiway pot (SC's, low-mid pocket pairs, etc.) then limp behind.
-If your hand will do better against a single opponent (big pairs, big aces, maybe KQ), then raise (and make sure to raise more if there are more limpers, so as to better chase them off)

so for your specific examples,
1 is a raise (unless a solid/tricky UTG or UTG+1 player limps)
2 is a limp
3 could be either, you're more likely to win the pot against Ax by raising, but won't win the hand without hitting the flop if you limp. I generally limp here, mostly because its a little tougher to play after the flop than a hand like AJ.

Zarathustra888
11-29-2005, 10:12 PM
Thanks all. I'll note what you said and start raising good aces in LP and limping the big suited connectors. The suited connectors are getting mucked in ep along with other crap I sometimes play (JTos,QJos are my poison in ep), while throwing in a couple raises in ep with 87s (my lucky hand /images/graemlins/wink.gif ) and some other SC's to keep em guessing.

If 30 buyins is good then I'll do that. I think tilt affects me more the bigger the dent a stacking makes to me.

pokerjoker
11-29-2005, 11:24 PM
If u are asking these questions don't play 8 tables yet. In order to 8 table 98% of ur decisions have to be quick. I suggest you 2-3 table and work on your strategy then work your way up to eight table (or a higher limit) over the course of say 20,000 hands.

sourbeaver
01-08-2006, 04:22 PM
Tad late, yes.

30 buyins is quite enough.
My VPIP and PFR have varied a lot through different segments, but the results haven't varied much. I had success as a 17/7, 14/4, and 10/2. I like to open up in the earlier hours of the day when tables are noticeably weaker and tighter. Late nights are usually not friendly to a lot of PF raising since the tables are looser and players won't bow down to most of your continuation bets (CBs are very good money at lower limits).

Blind stealing should be a concern, but not a high-priority one, since image isn't very important at lower limits, and blinds are somewhat low compared to stack sizes (remember, blind stealing becomes more important as stack size decreases in relation to the blinds).

Simply put, I like to raise a solo limper+blinds on a "button" hand. But don't go too far when they put up resistance, this is where I leaked most when I started.

1. I will limp 90% of the time, raise the other times (this is based on table and players left to act).
2. I limp, probably never raise.
3. I limp.

kitaristi0
01-08-2006, 05:28 PM
I just started 9-tabling now that I PartyBeta came out.

Overall my VPIP is around 10, but from CO and the Button it's closer to 15. My PFR is 5.4, and around 9.5 on the Button and CO.

30 buy-ins is plenty.

One way to bump up that PFR, is when you have 1 limper in front of you, instead of limping behind him, raise it to 5xBB with 99+,ATs+,AJo+,KQs,QJ,JT,T9,98,87 and some other hands when I feel like it. A lot of the time (at least at NL25) he will just fold and you pick up the blinds+his limp, and if he calls you have position in a (often) heads up pot, and can easily outplay the guy.

Against multiple limpers I'll make this play much more selectively obviously, but hands like T9s, 98s etc. are great for that purpose.