PDA

View Full Version : theory of poker

jordiepop
01-08-2006, 03:04 AM
how does this book differ from hold em for advanced players ... does it cover the same stuff ... i know people look at it like the bible of poker ... im just curious to see if it is different since it covers alot of the same stuff

Niediam
01-08-2006, 05:42 AM
You really need to use the search man...

But I'll be nice.

I'd say that about half of what's in TOP is also covered in HEPFAP but TOP goes into more detail.

CesareBorgia
01-15-2006, 06:42 AM
'The Theory of Poker' focusses more on poker in general. Furthermore, it gives much more background theory than Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players (HPFAP). HPFAP focusses much more on specific situations you may encounter at the poker table. HPFAP won't bother to explain in detail why certain plays are preferred in a certain situation or when an exception to a 'standard' play should be employed.

deacsoft
01-15-2006, 11:30 AM
Do what you need to. Just read it. Then read it again. And again. Your questions about it will be answered.

Gelford
01-15-2006, 01:01 PM
Just remember, The Theory of Poker does not contain material on betting draws for value based on pot equity .. for that look else like fx SSH

phydaux
01-15-2006, 09:36 PM
I just finished SSH, and am half way through TOP. When I finish TOP, I plan to re-read SSH.

A lot of the topics in TOP were also covered in SSH. However Dave goes into much greater detail on why things like semi-bluffing, free cards & overcalls are important, why to use them, when to use them, when NOT to use them, etc.

Ed covers these same topics, but not as broadly or deeply. Instead, he covers how these topics specificly relate them to small stakes limit hold'em.

In HPFAP Dave and Mason do the same thing, but assume that the people you are playing with are equally as skilled as you are. Therefore they are more likely to fall prey to deceptive moves.

In small stakes games, people re-raise all the way to the river with A6o. For people like that, semi-bluffs and free card plays are nearly useless.

MicroBob
01-16-2006, 08:29 AM
you call him 'Dave'?

Lawman
01-16-2006, 08:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you call him 'Dave'?

[/ QUOTE ]

nh Bobby