PDA

View Full Version : Converter down?

greenage
01-08-2006, 01:58 AM
The converter has been down all day, at least for me. Has anyone been able to use it today?

I have a (so far ignored) thread on the “Computer Technical Help” forum asking about alternatives.

Ok guys, here’s the deal. I wrote this and don’t mind supporting it, but I will not pay to host it, sorry. If any of you know of a “free” web host that supports ASP, please let me know. If anyone can host the converter or is willing to pay some money to host it, I think the whole forum would appreciate it.

greenage

Alchemist
01-08-2006, 02:38 PM
I just tested it and it worked for me.

greenage
01-08-2006, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just tested it and it worked for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it was back up when I checked this morning. It was down all day (or most of it) yesterday.

You get what you pay for. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Alchemist
01-08-2006, 04:08 PM
I get a popup whenever I load the page, seems like that should cover something that I would suspect gets pretty low traffic? I really don't know the ins and outs of such things though.

dandy_don
01-08-2006, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wrote this and don’t mind supporting it, but I will not pay to host it, sorry. If any of you know of a “free” web host that supports ASP, please let me know. If anyone can host the converter or is willing to pay some money to host it, I think the whole forum would appreciate it.

greenage

[/ QUOTE ]

How much are we talking about here?

greenage
01-08-2006, 07:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I wrote this and don’t mind supporting it, but I will not pay to host it, sorry. If any of you know of a “free” web host that supports ASP, please let me know. If anyone can host the converter or is willing to pay some money to host it, I think the whole forum would appreciate it.

greenage

[/ QUOTE ]

How much are we talking about here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don’t know how much it would cost to get reliable hosting that would allow a large numbers of hands to be converted. I think a lot.

One of the reasons I moved the application is because the Firefox users kept complaining. I’d host it at work, but don’t want to get fired over it.

I’ll think about it and see if I can come up with something.

The converter is fairly stable so maybe I can rewrite it in .Net and find a download site for it. I don’t really know why, but just don’t want the source out there any more.

How would you guys feel about having to download it and run it from your computer? That would allow a virtually unlimited number of hands to be converted and you wouldn’t have to worry about the web server being down.

Andy B
01-08-2006, 07:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How would you guys feel about having to download it and run it from your computer? That would allow a virtually unlimited number of hands to be converted and you wouldn’t have to worry about the web server being down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't have a problem with that.

Gelford
01-08-2006, 07:25 PM
Splendid ... a download is good /images/graemlins/smile.gif

greenage
01-08-2006, 07:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Splendid ... a download is good /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone know how you get software on download.com or a similar site? Guess I’ll have to email them.

beta1607
01-10-2006, 08:49 PM
converter seems to be down again?

greenage
01-10-2006, 09:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
converter seems to be down again?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, that web host is getting very unreliable.

I’m working on a new program that I’ll make available for download from a reputable site. It should be ready in a few weeks.

MrBlueNose
01-10-2006, 09:15 PM
I can host it if needed greenage.

greenage
01-10-2006, 09:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you mean hosting an executable for download or ASP hosting?

frappeboy
01-10-2006, 09:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too.